DEARDEN WALKS INTO THE TAVERN
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Klogg
Greenie
Greenie

DEARDEN WALKS INTO THE TAVERN

Post by Klogg »

Gentleman Dearden enters the Silver Rose in Midway, laden down with satchels overflowing with books. He sits down at the bar, and sets a stack of tomes to one side. Afterwards, he retrieves a handful of knucklebones from a pouch, tosses them on the table before him, and nods to himself. After putting the bones away, he opens one of his books and begins reading.

Day after day, Dearden returns to the same spot on the bench, and performs the same ritual before delving into his tomes. This continues for one week.

While deep within thought, like any other previous day, Dearden suddenly leaps up from his seat and faces the door to the tavern. A moment later it swings open, and a pair of muck smattered and haggard dwarves enter. One is dressed in thick plated armor that is covered in scratches and dents, and he carries a battleaxe and shield on his back. The second is an elderly dwarf with a white beard that stretches nearly to the floor. He carries a book in one hand, and a gnarled staff in the other. The moment they enter, Dearden walks over to greet them.

“Pal’nok and Elder Grogomir…welcome to Midway,” Dearden says, and he reaches out with a hand. The warrior, Pal’nok, stares at it for a moment, and then roughly shakes the gentleman’s hand before following him to a seat. “You have traveled far, now rest within the comfort of our tavern. Barkeep! A pair of dwarven ales for each of my friends.”

The dwarves thank Dearden and sit down. They make no effort to conceal their conversation, so anyone near can easily listen in. “We have heard the bell,” Pal’nok says, “and we will come to answer the summons. We will join our brethren to fight the coming darkness alongside them…”

The elder interrupts him. “It’s just that we’re…well…we’re stuck. No one remembers how to open the wall that protects our realm.”

Dearden grins. “And that is why you have come to me. You’re in luck that I spent nearly a year at Garrowbrook Academy studying ancient dwarven architecture, engineering, and lore. I’ve been looking into this wall of yours since we made contact, and I think I know how it can be opened.”

“Then we must return at once,” Pal’nok says. “What can we offer you for your service? This would be as great a deed as any have done for our kind. We have plenty of wealth, and would happily share it for a cause such as this.”

Dearden shakes his head and holds up a hand. “There is only one sort of wealth I am interested in, friends. I seek knowledge. Give me as many books as you can spare from your libraries, or give me access to them, and I will do everything in my power to see your wall opened.”

Pal’nok looks to Grogomir the elder, who nods. “Done,” Pal’nok says. “But you cannot refuse at least some gold as well.”

“Perhaps,” Dearden says. “And perhaps there are others that wish to share in the glory and wealth of this adventure, and they will not refuse your gold.” After speaking these words, Dearden steps up on to the bar, and addresses everyone within the tavern. “I have a quest that needs undertaking, and I cannot do it alone. I seek to venture into ancient dwarven ruins, where there will undoubtedly be as much danger as there is treasure. I am a simple scholar and can scarcely defend myself against such dangers. I will need brave adventurers to protect me, and to help solve the mysteries that we will encounter.” Dearden pauses, and looks around the room. He takes a moment to stare at each person there.

“These dwarves seek to be our allies. Let us extend one hand to welcome them, and another to lift our weapons and fight by their side.” Dearden waits a moment to let his words sink in. “And of course, beyond any rewards offered by these dwarves, I’ll be paying everyone that accompanies me a handsome sum of money. We will need as many as we can muster, so tell the others not present here, and gather your friends and your courage. We leave within the week.”

Dearden descends from the bar, and pays for a round of drinks to everyone there before returning to his conversation with the dwarves. He welcomes any to join his side that have questions for him, or that simply wish to offer their aid in his task.
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

*Sylas at work behind the bar ignores Dearden as usual*

*when the Dwarves enter he begins pouring several mugs from three different kegs stored behind the bar*
*when Dearden asks for drinks he looks at him blankly, then looks at the ales he's already poured and shakes his head and takes a deep breath*

*walking to the table he sets three mugs before each Dwarf*
"This one is imported Dwarven brought to me through Caldonia. This second is the last of my stocks of Kingbrewer, Bombour Stoutbringer's Finest. This third is something I brewed myself. Bombour and I came up with the recipe based on Fire Dwarven Ale. Enjoy."

*stepping back to the bar, but now paying attention to Dearden and the Dwarves*
*interupting*
"Books? Libraries? in all my trips to the homelands I have never met a Dwarf who cared, or trusted, for the written word.. Runes sure, but never tomes.."
*listening on confused until Dearden climbs on the bar*
*shooting distasteful looks at Dearden's feet, which sours further as he places the money on the bar*

*walking to the table and the Dwarves, setting the money back in front of Dearden and speaking directly to the Dwarves pulling an amulet and ring from beneath his shirt*

"If there as anything I can do, do not hesitate to ask."

*walking to a small set of steps leading down beneath the bar*
"Amadi! Bring up another 1/4 of Dwarven!"
Last edited by Sylas Hay on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klogg
Greenie
Greenie

Post by Klogg »

When Sylas interrupts to question about books, the elderly dwarf turns toward him.

"Our clan is unlike most of our brethren. We practice engineering and architecture, and we keep records of such things in tomes. Most of us..." he nods in Pal'nok's direction, "are still more interested in battles and brews than anything else, but some few of us use our brains instead."

When Sylas brings the drinks, Grogomir thanks him politely, and Pal'nok grabs at the mug gruffly and nods his approval.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

*** Darthesis steps in at the first mention of payment and calmly waits
*** for the finish of the discussion.

If you have coin available, or even information that is worth coin, you know you have me interested. Dearden you know me and we have worked together before. I hear mention of "The Bell" which I have the most basic of knowledge of, enough to know that it implies the start of great things.

Can I therefore assume that the payment and treasures of this task be one that one of my skills and stature might find reasonable? I trust your word on it, it has always been good enough in the past.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn, leaning against one of the walls, looks a bit startled.*

The Bell has been rung? I thought some of the pieces were lost or kept from Blackthorn.

*She touches the Dwarven-made amulet around her neck*

The Dwarven nation can count on my help.
pirateking89
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by pirateking89 »

Cudar's ears perk up at the mention of payment, and again when Dearden mentions glory.

"This sounds like it could make an enjoyable adventure. If ye have need of my blade, I'll offer it."
The Burgundy Hero
Sixth Tome of House Toevass
Member of the Alchemist's Guild
Amadi
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Amadi »

A partially muffled reply comes from below, as Amadi yells in response. "Coming right up!" A few moments later, Amadi emerges, carrying the goods, and notices the visitors. With the new activity, he gets right to work slinging drinks and taking care of business. He keeps an ear to the open discussion going on, but doesn't participate for the moment.
Amadi
Klogg
Greenie
Greenie

Post by Klogg »

Dearden turns to Darthesis and speaks. "I'm sure you will find the payment satisfactory, and I would be honored to have you at my side. Your shrewdness and keen blades will surely be most appreciated on this adventure."

Next he speaks to Kathryn. "The bell is something of a mystery to me as well. It's even possible these dwarves speak of one yet unknown to us. I gladly welcome such a strong warrior as yourself to our number."

"And Cudar, I do not believe we have met before, but if you are willing to risk your life, then I am willing to pay for it." Dearden smiles and jingles the pouch at his side. "And I offer you my respect and a word of welcome."

"It warms me to see so many offer aid so quickly."
pirateking89
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by pirateking89 »

Cudar stands and offers his hand to Dearden.
"I have only recently arrived, but I fought on both the front with the kunapan and the avyana in the last campaign. I hope that I will be able to help."
The Burgundy Hero
Sixth Tome of House Toevass
Lochlainn
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Lochlainn »

*Lochlainn walks up to the bar and takes a seat*

So this is where everybody is nowadays. The inn in Legacy has been pretty quiet with everybody moving to Midway. I was just finishing up some herbalism studies nearby and figured I'd stop by and say hello. I'll be heading back to Legacy in the morning.

What's all this about a bell?
Head of the Healer's and Charity's Guild of Midway
Player Ombudsman
Weapon Marshall
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

"Morning Constable. Hehe" *setting a mug in front of Lochlainn*

"I have a shipment headed for Legacy soon, so the Bar there should be fully functional again as soon as I find another Barkeep. Have you met Amadi?" *thumbing at the new face behind the bar*
Lochlainn
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Lochlainn »

*Takes a long drink fro his mug.*

Amadi? Can't say that I've heard that name before.

*Raises a hand and nods toward Amadi in greeting. Then gestures towards the dwarves.*

Something going on? What is this bell that people are talking about?
Head of the Healer's and Charity's Guild of Midway
Player Ombudsman
Weapon Marshall
Amadi
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Amadi »

Amadi returns the greeting in kind. "Pleasure to meet you, Constable."

"This bell business has everyone's interest lately. I don't know anything about it myself, but from the things people are saying, it looks there's going to be more patrons here than usual. Seems to me that business is picking up in Midway." Amadi smiles and shrugs, not sure what the future will hold.
Amadi
Rowen Kane
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Rowen Kane »

*rowen picks his head up looks at the dwarfs*

i have fought beside you once and shed my blood along side you, and i will gladly do it again.
Rowen Kane
"some give it all"
Chronixxx Thunderforge
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Post by Chronixxx Thunderforge »

"Greetings Pal’nok and Elder Grogomir. I'm Chronixxx Lightningforge of clan Draconis. And being the only dwarve around I welcome you. I was hoping when the bell sounded I would get to meet some of the lost clan. I have so many questions to ask I doubt we'll have time to discuss them all before we leave."

"Dearden why did you not mention to me that you were so knowledgeable in dwarven history? I would have taken that knowledge over any amount of coin you have offered in the past. You my good employer are always good for a suprise."

"If you let me Pal’nok I would like to repair your armor before we leave. No dwarve around me will have dented armor. When I visited our cousins in Windcrest the Giants there taught me a few tricks in forging.'
Sir Chronixxx Lightningforge
Grandmaster Smith
Grandmaster Exotic Smith
Member of the Arms & Armor Guild
Knight of Windcrest
Member of Clan Draconis
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai