I have NEVER Larped before
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

I have NEVER Larped before

Post by Shighguard1 »

Ok I am a huge fan of RPG and currently DM two D&D groups, but I have never Larped before and am feeling a bit lost. I would really like to come to the may 18th weekend event but need to know what all i should be prepared for as well as how the crap to make my character. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
X-GM Brian
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: I have NEVER Larped before

Post by X-GM Brian »

First of all, welcome! We actually have some volunteers who take care of helping and acclimating new players. I'll make sure Nick knows about ya so they can contact you. He is both knowledgeable and helpful. If there are any questions he can't answer they know how to get in touch with people that do know the answer =)
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

sweet thanks you can always message me on Yahoo messenger. I usually leave it up even if i am not home, will try and remember to set it to gone or whatever when not home. Any help you can give me would be great I am thinking of playing a rogue but as of yet dont have any other ideas character wise but i am sure they will come to me
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Aside from all the character stuff you'll need (costuming, weapon, etc.), make sure you bring everything you'll need to survive a weekend away from home: bedding, food, water, etc.
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

A few things:
In character, introduce yourself to other characters. Things get busy, and we newbies have the possibility of being over-looked.
There's also at least a few people that go out for food, though I don't know how that's going to hold at the new location.
If you don't have all the costuming and weapons that you need for your first event, NPC camp has extras that you can borrow for the first few events, so that you have time to get yourself equipped.
Since I've only been to one event, myself, that's about all I've got right now. Good luck, and hope to see you there! :D
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

Well costuming i am happy to report wont be a probably i have a ren fest costume, simple tunic and breeches with a vest, that is common enough i could pass off a rogue, plus the cape/cloak i have. My issue is the weapons I am not sure how to make them. I have seen a couple tutorials online but i think some Larp groups are different then others as to how thick the foam has to be. Any suggestions as to thickness, best materials, whatever would be helpful.
Gorek
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

I know that quite a few of the more experienced players purchase their weapons. The regulations on weapons are found in the rulebook, located here: http://carpsgame.com/printable%20forms/ ... 5.12.1.pdf on page 13. Since I haven't made my weapon yet (I borrowed from NPC camp last minth and likely will again), I can't give recommendations on materials.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

how to make a weapon:

Take pvc pipe cut it to length desired and be aware you will need 2 inches or more (i suggest 3 inches) of padding for the tip and hilt so if you want to make a 36 inch weapon cut the pipe to 30 or less inches. Slap a piece of tape over the top and bottom capping them. Slide brown/Tan 5/8 inch wall foam over which i find at Menards and stuff like a turkey the top and bottom holes with foam. Tape up towards tip and down towards hit do not tap around only up and down to cover all of the foam. (this can be done with 2 pieces if you do it just right if not 3 works. ) Ta-da basic beat stick. if you want to have a hilt you can just adhere the hilt portion made out of foam with tape pre wrapping up and down. Make sure to select the appropriate color for the item brown for wood, grey for metal, white for fists, silver for silver.

Show up let weapon marshal look at it prob wack you with it a few times and call it good or not.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

So disappointed I was unable to come to the Larp this weekend. Sucks that I had to get sick this weekend. I wish I could come to the June event but of course its happens to be when my family is coming up from North Carolina to visit so I wont be able to come until July Sad :(
Gorek
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

Quick question I will be coming tomorrow for the first time and wanted to know what time I should try and be there. As of right now I dont have my character sheet ready, having some trouble figuring it out, and will probably need some help setting that up. I have my costume and even my spell packets ready to go.
Gorek
Bloodharp
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Bloodharp »

Game on is at 9pm I do believe, but most of us are there by 8pm. I'd say shoot for 5-6p to get help on your sheet, do introductions, explore the area etc.etc.
Make sure you go to the Brighton Rec location as well, as that's where we are this event.
Flamyras Kathson of the Sky - Retired
Grout "Mortimer" of the Order of the New Dawn
Dawn Silvermourne the Scholar
"foras sesto pondero ver"
GM Todd

Post by GM Todd »

BH is correct, any time after 6 should be fine. See you then. :D
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

So I had a blast this weekend it sucked I had to leave early but I had family coming in from North Carolina who came in earlier then i thought they would. Though I have one question: Who do I talk to about changing characters? I liked playing Kravin the Elf wizard but I am not so sure a wizard is the LARPing class for me. I was thinking maybe a Dwarf warrior, mainly cuz I am short already so it would kind of fit.
Gorek
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

after your first event you can rewrite without problem.
So what ever you want to change too no problem.
just be sure to bring a new copy next month.
Gone and Yet not gone
Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Shighguard1 »

Does Carps have a facebook page
Gorek