New plAyer has many questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Aironi

New plAyer has many questions

Post by Aironi »

Hello everyone! I have oh so many questions. I am super familiar with dnd and Pathfinder but am super noob to larping. I have been reading the rules because I am super excited to get into it and am a little confused at how characters progress. Is the only way to gain HP by taking ranks in an armor skill or by spell? I was contemplating being like an alchemist type character maybe earth focused. I looked through the skills and herbalism and alchemy and poison making seem very subtle. It seems as if characters need something more to be efficient. Do you currently have any alchemist? Are there any niche holes in your group right now? I read you have like 80 in the group so I doubt it but I figure I can ask. I can usually enjoy most any archetype. Also, how are these weekends usually set up? Are they broken up by "skill level" or how is it made fun for new people and experienced people alike? Thank you all again for accepting me into your group and I look forward to meeting you all.
Dietrich
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: New plAyer has many questions

Post by Dietrich »

First off, welcome to the game.

We have a few Alchemists, Herbalists and Aqua Morticians and they seem to do just fine using their craft to assist themselves and others.

Yes, armor and spells are two of the ways to gain HP. There is also the Toughness skill and potions.

For new players there are at least a couple newer players that you could adventure with and NPC camp does try and make plots of all power levels available so you hopefully will have plenty to do.

Hope that answers most of your questions.
Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby wrote:When I was a man I thought it ended
When I knew love's perfect ache
But my peace has always depended
On all the ashes in my wake

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash
Aironi

Post by Aironi »

Yes it does thank you very much. While skulking about the forums here I came across some stats which indicate that there is an abundance of potion and poison makers as well as herbalists. I would like to try and help fill in where things may be lacking a little. Is there anywhere that anyone feels may be less robust or could use someone new? I am open to most facets of gameplay, crafter, healer, mage, rogue, archer. I love playing bards in pathfinder and dnd but I don't actually have any musical talent so playing one here might not be the best plan.
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by Gekek »

A lot of what's on the forums these days is old. Even the roster of those in guilds and houses may not be current in regards to active players. If there is one we have less of though it is probably Alchemists, but go for which ever you prefer.
As for niches that are missing, there are multiple ways in CARPS to fill each niche and there are a decent number of skill sets where there are fewer people then others and some skills that also almost untouched. True rogues who can handle locks and more importantly disarming traps are one area. Boom mages (as opposed to melee mages) and solid tanks while present have fewer numbers than other kinds or mages or fighters.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
Aironi

Post by Aironi »

I can do rogue, i can definitely do that. And still do some sort of alchemy on the side. I will start on my build today and see what I come up with. It appears that the bird people would be the most logical choice. I see that it requests feathers be placed in hair. What if I plan on wearing a hat? Are jeans considered too new age to be worn atleast for the first month or two? How does archery work?

P.S.) Is there a new player handler I can get with to discuss builds and whatnot? I am not entirely positive what restrictions there are for new characters and what not and I have questions on racial traits and the like. Also, are cat people a thing in this land?
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

Gekek amd dietrich are both new player marshals and can help you out with building a character.

We dont currently have a cat race for players, you could do a character that does the animal ken and animalism skill sets and work towards it.
Dietrich

Post by Dietrich »

Scrub pants are a fairly cheap and easy pant for LARPing in general.

Whatever race you decide on you will have to do the costuming requirements by your third event, hat or no.

Archery is via packet. You must hold a bow phys rep, mine knocking and drawing it and then throw a packet. Gek runs a new player combat workshop at the start of the event that will help with any similar questions like that.

keeslermatt3@gmail.com if you need more help with specifics
Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby wrote:When I was a man I thought it ended
When I knew love's perfect ache
But my peace has always depended
On all the ashes in my wake

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Clonk »

We could certainly use more skill monkey/utility focused rogues (Detect Traps and lock picking). Aqua Morits is a great craft and great as a rogue suppliment (though certainly not exclusive to that "class")

I for one would welcome a new Herbalist & Aqua Mortician. :)
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway
Aironi

Post by Aironi »

Am I correct in my addition that to make something a rank 3 at major affinity it will take a total of 24 cp? 4 for 1st 8 for second and 12 for third?
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

That is correct.
Gekek Farwalker,

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
TheCroakingFrog

Post by TheCroakingFrog »

hello there im new to larping i get the game and how to play but how does getting started work?
I mean can i just show up and with money and every thing i need to get set up is there along with help
from a host or somthing? i guess what i need is a quik summory of how its goin work from when i get there
till i leave.
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

I don't think I can type a good enough answer on my phone, but we have people at game that once you show up can get you ready to play.
Gekek Farwalker,

RickMal

Post by RickMal »

Hey guys, thanks for answering his questions. It's helpful for other newbies like me too.
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

[quote="RickMal"]Hey guys, thanks for answering his questions. It's helpful for other newbies like me too.[/quote]
Yep its really helpful for me i am new here
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

Welcome to CARPS Jadiel. Let me know if you have any questions.
Gekek Farwalker,