New player questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

bigmikeacm

New player questions

Post by bigmikeacm »

How many shields can you carry at a time and if its not "equipped" does it still have the defenses of a shield ie: its strapped across my back like a backpack and it blocks a weapon strike. what happens?

Where is a decent place to get furs or pelts?

How much IG stuff will I need to carry and do people have war flags or heraldic banners?
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: New player questions

Post by Gekek »

bigmikeacm wrote:How many shields can you carry at a time and if its not "equipped" does it still have the defenses of a shield ie: its strapped across my back like a backpack and it blocks a weapon strike. what happens?

Where is a decent place to get furs or pelts?

How much IG stuff will I need to carry and do people have war flags or heraldic banners?
You can carry multiple shield I suppose but it would be bulky and probably a pain to do so. I also wouldn't give you any benefit except in having a back up if your main one is shattered in game.

Tandy Leather https://www.tandyleather.com/en/ will definately have leather, not as sure about fur though. Nocbay Trading company http://www.nocbay.com will have furs and a decent leather selection. Otherwise I would search on Etsy for stuff.

You can carry as much or as little of your gear as you want. The question comes done to how comfortable do you feel leaving it where an in game thief can snag it? Also how much of your gear do you want to make sure you have just in case? With anything you want to carry needing to have a phys rep it can get tricky to carry everything you want especially if you are a melee fighter. I used to carry a satchel but it interfered with swinging my weapon so I switched to all pouches.

The first banner (at least in a long time) just showed up this past event. There is nothing against having them and they add a nice touch. I would recommend checking to see if the design you want is in use for anything already though before making something.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
Bipeo
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Bipeo »

I asked at the last event and was told that you may only wield one shield at a time.

I don't think there's a limit on how many you can own though.
bigmikeacm

Post by bigmikeacm »

Thank you for the answers. They are very helpful for the banner I was thinking something smaller than what I saw in the picture from last event. I plan on being a barbarian and what I was thinking is having a banner as well as a tattoo to represent my totem or as I want to build him into a commander It would be the symbol of his troops. Who do I check with to see if the banner image is already taken?
Timin
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Timin »

I'm not going to say it's official, but I thought you were able to wield multiple shields. I know we discussed it back during V6 Beta and I brought up the idea of wielding 2 shields to the GM and gaining the AC bonus from both for maximum AC. I was told it was possible, but since you needed to equip two full size shields you then have absolutely no offense and can't fight back at all, so the monsters can slowly kill you 1hp at a time ... or are just going to ignore you and chase after your party members. Because let's face it, how threatening is a turtle when it's just hiding in it's shell.

As for the wearing of a shield on your back, I think then it just becomes a part of the coverage towards your Heavy Armor and is not viable for blocking strikes and attacks like it would if you were to be wielding it. Otherwise it's just a back-up.
--------------------------------------------------
Timin the Gnome!!!
Lieutenant of Gnomercy
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Hawke wrote:CP is just a matter of time, and a way of metering power, because Timin can't be trusted not to go Super Saiyan on us when he's bored without it.
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

You can only use 1 shield at a time.

-Evan
midwinterdreams
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by midwinterdreams »

Timin wrote: idea of wielding 2 shields to the GM and gaining the AC bonus from both for maximum AC
I'm now picture a person with a giant shield that is broken into 2 pieces and when he puts his arms together he has one massive shield.
Raedir Haedren aka "Treeman"
- Healer/Mage/Ga'Vin
Timin
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Timin »

midwinterdreams wrote:I'm now picture a person with a giant shield that is broken into 2 pieces and when he puts his arms together he has one massive shield.
That would make for an awesome shield wall, just make sure the opposite team doesn't have any mages ... it would be a massive spell packet target.
--------------------------------------------------
Timin the Gnome!!!
Lieutenant of Gnomercy
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Hawke wrote:CP is just a matter of time, and a way of metering power, because Timin can't be trusted not to go Super Saiyan on us when he's bored without it.
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Clonk »

ALL the spell parry!
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway