TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Boomer Powderbang
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: TOWN COUNCIL MEETING

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

*Boomer stares at Cudar*
Kenric Sayne

Post by Kenric Sayne »

"While we're not sure if I can vote on the matter, I don't see any issues with this proposal. I'm in favor of it."
Kenric Sayne
Ex-Magistrate and Former Head of House DeVris, Midway
Maven Goodbarrel

Post by Maven Goodbarrel »

*Maven pops her head in the window and nods in agreement. A churn handle, nearly as tall as her can be seen bobbing up and down. She looks a bit winded.*
"Hang on! I'm here too, I just couldn't stop churning this butter yet! It gets tricky in this heat. Have you ever had soured butter? Oh it's perfectly destestable! And if you are disaplined enough to resist a taste before you spread it on a nice slice of freshly baked buttermilk loaf, you end up slathering it all over the place ruining a perfectly delightful piece warm goodness. What a shame indeed...ruining earnestly baked goods! A travesty really."

*She wipes her brown and scuttles in the door quickly.*

" I've been listening to all that you have said, and I quite agree. I vote yes on this proposal. Indubitably."

"Also on the position of Mayor, I do remember Thane Tristan saying he had appointed a man to the post, but I also recall that he said we could choose our own if we could get our ducks in a row. Perhaps once we agree upon a candidate, we could bring our proposal to Thane Tristan and get his approval.
We'd want to all be unified in this matter, and have carefully considered our choices. I think in looking at the work he has done to get us together, creating a proposal that makes sense, and his indisputable sense of organization, Boomer has shown the qualities a mayor needs. I can vouch for him. I would never travel with such success if Boomer had not joined me. He's terribly easy to talk to, is great with names, manages coin well, and is rather skilled at settling minor disputes. Most of all, he is uncannily logical as many gnomes are. Logic is vital in creating smoothly running daily routines. "
pirateking89
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by pirateking89 »

Cudar puts down his pen, having recorded the statements of the other coucil members, then nods at Boomer and addresses those assembled.
"Does anyone know the thane's reason for raising these taxes? If it's simply 'raising more revenue' then the only problem with this plan is that we are weakening the town guard significantly in exchange for keeping the few merchants who haven't already left the thanedom borders with their wares.
I know you believe that this action will bring in new business, but you must remember that we're not actually lowering taxes, merely restoring them to the rates they were at before the raise. Unless mandalor has somewhat else to say, I don't believe we had been taking on new merchants at an amazing rate.
On the other hand, the than may have some other motive in his actions. Perhaps he just desires his thanedom to lay more in line with the taxes paid by the rest of the kingdom. I wouldn't be surprised, with the number of Demi-humans we have, that loyalty of the town may have been questioned in high circles -no offense to any of you, of course - and this may be the thane's attempt to restore our reputation. Countering his attempts could very easily get us off on the wrong foot with the man, and that's the last thing we need.
Because of the mutual negative factors, I have to vote against the proposal. Sorry, boomer. Maybe with more information, I could re-consider."

Cudar takes a moment to mark down Maven's vote.

"Stag for Jakorick approves
Maven for Mandalor approves
Aurora for the guild Tentatively approves
Cudar for Toevass is against
Unless lochlainn votes against and aurora chooses to change her mind there's no reason why the proposal does not pass with majority. Does anyone else desire to speak on this issue?"
The Burgundy Hero
Sixth Tome of House Toevass
Member of the Alchemist's Guild
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*maka perks up at the mention of the town guard, she seems fidgity but stays quiet knowing she generally gets kicked out of these kind of meetings.*
Last edited by Maka on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of the Town Guard
Hordemaster of Maka's Bludgeon and Brew
Member of the Alchemist Guild
Sadly resigned from House Mandalor
Boomer Powderbang

I contest that I feel that it is important to keep in mind that we are NOT countering his actions. We are raising taxes, we are sending him those increased taxes, the only difference is that we are choosing to pull those monies out of a community "pool", rather than individual pocketbooks. Otherwise we could have the chaos of folks using status and influence to lower their tax rates to borderline ridiculous levels in order to offset the increase. This would result in the Thane not pulling in his increased revenue and if this was a test of loyalty, we would then fail it miserably.

Nay, I contend that we are actually proving our loyalty by pulling together as a community and finding a solution on our own to facilitate assistance to struggling business owners while helping to keep the Thanedom running. In fact, this means that "everyone pays" instead of just a few folks, since this is out of our "community pot".

One note of correction - Lochlainn doesn't have a vote on the council. We were waiting on Devris and the head is currently unavailable. Kenric of Devris has voted yes, but is uncertain if he can vote or not. Kenric is also the one who would tell us if he is legally allowed to vote or not because he a the local Devris member.

So if we count Kenric's vote, then the measure passes OR if Aurora confirms that her vote is a yes OR if my rebuttal has swayed Cudar's mind, then the measure has passed.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

(green speaks up)

For the merchant and service industries in this town. There has been a large up swing of new alchemists, smiths, mercenaries and seers not to mention other individuals coming in to sell their wares.

House Mandalor is also interested in having the town and town guard funds switched back over to our books to maintain. This way we can pay the town guard directly instead of handing the funds over to the constable and then the the constable needing to pay and maintain the paperwork. For the city funds.

This town also needs to work on having some place secure for the people to sleep since last moon we had a few individuals walked off with by the beastmen. I would suggest the conscription of town guardsmen to secure the town while walls are built. Maybe starting off with one area or building and moving from there on out.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Kenric Sayne

Post by Kenric Sayne »

"Seeing as how Jared Skress isn't around all that often, I don't see why it would be an issue for me to vote on this matter. Especially since I was present in the meeting with the new Thane when he called for a representative of every house and Skress wasn't there. If Jared Skress has a problem with this, I'm sure I'll find out, but in the mean time I vote for the proposal."
Kenric Sayne
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

Sorry for my quietness. i was just waiting to hear all sides. I am fore this proposal. So my vote is a yes for it to pass.
~Aroura
Gone and Yet not gone
Boomer Powderbang

I will write up the measure and send it around for signatures this weekend!

Esteemed members of the council, on behalf of Midway taxpayers - I thank you.
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*seeing the meeting end, maka grins like an idiot and goes to talk to lochlainn*
Captain of the Town Guard
Hordemaster of Maka's Bludgeon and Brew
Member of the Alchemist Guild
Sadly resigned from House Mandalor
Boomer Powderbang

It is of course at this time that I pass control of the floor over to whomever normally leads your town council meetings in the event that there are other matters to discuss.
pirateking89
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by pirateking89 »

"Kendrick, your input is appreciated, but you are not the house head and so you don't have a seat on the town council. For the moment, the matter has passed. Does anyone else have business to bring before the council, or should we wrap up?"
The Burgundy Hero
Sixth Tome of House Toevass
Member of the Alchemist's Guild
Kenric Sayne

Post by Kenric Sayne »

"First of all, my name is pronounced Kenric, if you can't say it right then don't try. Secondly, if I can't even represent House DeVris in the council, then there is a problem. It is my understanding that all five members of the council must be present for a matter to be voted on. I was simply filling in for Skress since he has other business elsewhere and can't always be here, not to mention that he told me himself that he wasn't House Head, which would mean that the position is actually vacant."
Kenric Sayne
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Kenric I would take that up with in your house you have two members of the baronial level that visit this town. If your interested with the position discuss it with them and see what they suggest.

On a request since the town council does control what the town funds are used for and how they are handled.

Views on mandalor taking back control of the paperwork and also making it so we no longer have residents being taken away at night to be snacks for wandering creatures by increasing the defenses of this town?

Not to mention what do we want to do with sylas's bar while he is away. I can't run it all the time and there is another tavern now.
Last edited by halfelfman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.