TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Kenric Sayne
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: TOWN COUNCIL MEETING

Post by Kenric Sayne »

"You also can't belong to a house, and if I remember correctly, didn't you join Mandalore?"
Kenric Sayne
Ex-Magistrate and Former Head of House DeVris, Midway
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

You can too belong to a house! It's town guard! And if I can't, maybe i leave mandalore. They dont have any work for me anyway *maka frowns* I want to be loyal, but I also want to help. If I can help with town guard, that be more fun. If mandalore needs me, I will stay with them, but so far they never need me!

I'm confused. Where's Locky?
Captain of the Town Guard
Hordemaster of Maka's Bludgeon and Brew
Member of the Alchemist Guild
Sadly resigned from House Mandalor
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*realizing Lochlainn has already joined the group, maka faces him and makes an impassioned plea*

I very seriously want to ask you to choose me. I do good job! You can ask my men in my band. I provide for them and work hard for them. I can leave Mandalore if I have to. I want to be loyal, but i can help more with town guard. Mandylore never needs me.

I do good job! I even learn to read if you want!

Kenny said he would support me, and Jack said he'd think about it. So at least he doesnt totally hate the idea.

Dont just be like "oh no orcy can't do dat" becaues orcy can. Orcy do good job!

*maka sits down and stops talking, knowing that being loud doesn't usually get her what she wants*
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Sputters at comments of him being made mayor... what? huh? Um, well shesh, I'm very flattered, but I've seen the way things get done around here... I think I'll pass.

Also, the Thane named a mayor already, and I'd not want to go against him on that.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Boomer Powderbang

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

Mandalor, Toevass, Jakoric, we do have quorum. Should we begin and catch the others up when they arrive? There is also a member of Devris here who offered to sit for the head if he doesn't show up. Not certain if that is how things work or not, but if they do work that way, works for me.
Lochlainn
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Lochlainn »

The Mayor that Thane Tristine apponited should be here by the end of this week. If you want to appoint someone else, you'd best wait until after he arrives or go speak to the Thane himself.

*to Maka*
If you are seriously interested in being the guard Captain, I will add you to my list of candidates.
Member of the Alchemist's Guild
Head of the Healer's and Charity's Guild of Midway
Player Ombudsman
Weapon Marshall
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*maka nods vigerously*

I am serious! I do good job. If you want to ask any questions or have me do any jobs to show you I can!
agmundr
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by agmundr »

*Looks over form his normal spot at Lochliann*

"Lochliann I would like to be in the running for it as well."
Safyr, Gan to the Breath of the Asp
Qara Aslan to the Company of the New Dawn
Batu to the Mongke Oyugun
Member of the Seer's Guild
Enforcer to House Mandalor
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*maka smiles and nods, her left eye twitching slightly as she tries not to say anything rude that might cost her the job*
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

*Res peers over his glass*, "You mean I can't be Mayor? Damn. And I had an acceptance speech ready and everything. Ah well. Might as well drown my sorrows in booze."
Master Seer
Member of the Diviner's Guild
Member of the Long Knives
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*Aroura walks into the Inn*

Sorry i'm late. Just heard word.
Guild head Representative present.

*sits down next to Res if their is space*
Gone and Yet not gone
Boomer Powderbang

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

It appears that we have everyone assembled. While I am not certain whether or not the sitting member of Devris is able to vote, they are at least represented.

Dear esteemed Town Council members, it is with great honor and privilege that I stand before you today a humble servant of the prestigious House Mandalor. As you well know, this next tax cycle will be most...taxing...on our townsfolk. With the upcoming audit this moon and the increase in tax rates, these will be trying times indeed. Some merchants have discussed leaving town, while others may already have.

It is to this end that I propose to the members of this esteemed council, a stop-gap measure to help our struggling merchants. This measure does NOT affect our new tax increase, but WILL make the change negligible to our local Merchants and House members.

Our proposal is this: If the Town Council is willing to give up approximately 5-10% of its tax income, then the local Mandalor chapter will be willing to give up approximately 10-20% of its tax income in order to facilitate a "Merchant Incentive Program". To explain further, we should first look at how taxes are distributed. They are currently distributed as follows:
  • 50% goes to the next highest Level in Mandalor to be distributed at their Level
  • 20% goes to the town
  • 10% goes to the town guard
  • 10% goes to the Local House Mandalor
  • 10% goes to the local Thane

This means that the Thane gets .1% of a merchant's taxes for every 1% of total taxes they pay. So he gets 3% from someone with a 30% tax rate. He gets 3.5% from that person if their taxes are raised by 5%.

So if the Town Council is willing to sacrifice 1-2 percentage points of their 20 percentage points (5-10% of their total revenue), then Mandalor would also sacrifice 1-2 percentage points of their 10 percentage points (10-20% of their total revenue). This would be enough coin to allow us to give 5% of a Merchant's earnings back to them and 10% of a House member's earnings back to them, thereby completely offsetting the tax increase.

Our Thane wins, our Merchants win, our Houses win, and in the end the town and House Mandalor would likely win as this would help to stop merchants from leaving town, increasing prices, and/or holding back on sales. We will make more income under this plan because sacrificing 5-20% of our income will likely be less coin than sacrificing the entire tax amounts of a few merchants, or the taxes merchants would bring in if they weren't hoarding their wares hoping the tax rate drops.

I propose that this incentive program ONLY stays in place so long as the tax increase stays in place and will ONLY affect those who pay their taxes IN MIDWAY, those who pay the taxes to their LOCAL Midway Mandalor representative, and those who are indeed affected by the 5-10% tax increase. This makes certain the money stays in town and that the incentive is not paid out to anyone who has found a way out of paying the taxes. While I am not aware of a method of avoiding this increase, but I am sure that if it exists someone will find it.

Furthermore, I am volunteering Mandalor's services to document, execute, and track the program. We will handle it at tax time so that Merchants and House Members ONLY receive the incentive when they pay their taxes, but they receive it immediately - thereby being of immediate assistance.

I would also like to point out that there is good reason to consider this incentive "untaxable income" as it is not exchanging hands for goods or services, it is being given straight from the town's government to its people, and to tax it would have a mathematical "double dipping" effect, causing the amount to exponentially grow over time and ultimately become untenable.

The short of it is:
  • Taxpayer pays 5% - 10% more in taxes.
  • Taxpayer gets 5% - 10% of their revenue returned to them, effectively negating the tax increase's impact on them.
  • Mandalor has more paperwork to do and calculations to perform.
  • Mandalor "loses" 10-20% of their total income, however this will likely be offset by new business gained and/or current business which it does not lose.
  • The Town Council "loses" 5-10% of their total income, however this will likely be offset by new business gained and/or current business which it does not lose.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or would like any part of this plan re-explained or expanded upon, please just ask and I will be more than happy to answer all of your questions.

Once everyone has had a chance to comment and ask/answer their questions, we should bring it to a vote; The sooner the better, so that we can prepare for the additional work involved if this measure passes.
AlexV

Post by AlexV »

I vote in favor of this plan.
Vorrin Lambsheart
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

As the guild head does not receive money, I have no issues with this plan as long as the other council members agree.
~Aroura
Gone and Yet not gone
Daniel Lockheart

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

While I am present due to this being held in an open meeting, and while I am a ranking member of ToeVass, the Midway Counsel representative of ToeVass is Cudar, not myself. What do you say Keeper Cudar?

Edited due to my not seeing his first post.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.