TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Re: TOWN COUNCIL MEETING

Post by halfelfman »

I could swear he told the council to meet and choose someone. eh makes things easier then.. Any ways locklain who did you appoint to be our captain of the guard then since he wasn't happy when someone said Roland was it.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Boomer Powderbang
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

*Boomer begins flipping furiosly though a book entitled "Silverthorn, the Law, and YOU". He finds this page he was looking for and clears his through.*

This Mayoral position is determined for each town by its Town Council. If both the Constable and Captain of the Guard are not present, the Mayor may step in as acting Captain of the Guard. Town Councils appoint a Mayor to avoid the discomfort that occurs should the region not be defended. When a region does not have a Constable, Captain of the Guard, or Mayor present, the ruling Noble will usually summon in a Constable from a neighboring region to temporarily take over. The Town Council then must pay both the Noble and the visiting Constable for the inconvenience. Constables do not like cleaning up someone else’s mess, and will be certain to let the Town Council know that in no uncertain terms.

*He stops reading and looks up.*

Was the Constable and Captain of the Guard not present at the time? If that was the case, then it would make sense what he did. Or if just the Constable wasn't present and he "relieved" the Captain of the Guard of their duty, then I can see what he did making sense. It also means that when the Constable from another region shows up, we will owe him and the Thane some money. It could be that this is why we have the tax increase, or it could be a combination of several things.

In any event, the town council DOES have the right to elect it's own Mayor if it so chooses.

In the end, it sounds like what is happening here is that this town has been perceived by our Thane as grossly disorganized. While not a witness, it is my understanding that at the meeting with the Thane, we had multiple people show to represent a single group, no people show up to represent other groups, and if the above is true, we had no Local Law Enforcement in town due to a vacuum that was created when he dismissed the Captain of the Guard; A vacuum which would not have occurred if there was a Mayor. Before anyone speaks up to this end, I do not consider Devris as "Local Law Enforcement" because they simply aren't. They do provide Law Enforcement outside of town, but inside of town they are decision makers on law, not enforcers of law. In fact, each House has a form of Law Enforcement official in it, but they all have limitations to their jurisdiction that the Locally Elected Officials do not; when it comes to enforcement inside of the boundaries of the town.

In conclusion, if we want the Thane to be happy, we will:

• Elect a Mayor. This person should be trustworthy, able to step up militarily, and should probably have a fair and balanced attitude.
  • Begin holding regular Town Council meetings. While I am in no position to be a regular part of these meetings, I have no problem lighting a fire under your butts to meet if you would like me to. Though I think that would be a great job for a Mayor, instead of my having to do it.
  • Keep detailed records. If you are not keeping detailed records of Town Council meetings, then you NEED TO BE. Again, either have the Mayor do this, your Toevass representative, or hire a local scribe to do it. You should keep one copy, or more, for yourselves in a safe place, and send one copy to the Thane as a report. The Kave of the Ancients Caravan Company would be happy to sell our services as scribes.

I'm sure there is more, but I am digressing from the original purpose of this meeting. I would be happy to continue talk of this further if this turns into a full-blown Town Council meeting, but I really would like to stick to the task at hand until it has been decided.

*Boomer takes a deep breath, closes his book, and stuffs it back into his bag.*
AlexV

Post by AlexV »

Stag looks thoughtful for a moment and then responds.

"A problem may arise in electing officials. Besides Lochlain, the nobles tend to dislike people who the townsfolk do like. The best people for the job can't really get elected without upsetting the thane."
Vorrin Lambsheart
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

I'll be captain of the guard! *maka nods up and down happily*
Captain of the Town Guard
Hordemaster of Maka's Bludgeon and Brew
Member of the Alchemist Guild
Sadly resigned from House Mandalor
Boomer Powderbang

I think that the Thane would be happy with anyone who is around town enough and organized enough for the job. Remember that the people in charge of Law Enforcement do NOT necessarily have to be skilled warriors. They can be skilled thinkers who utilize other people for muscle.

While the head of a local Mercenary group might not make a good Constable, they might make a good Captain of the Guard. Same with the Mayor, but I personally see the Mayor as more of an "organizer" and learned person, but must have the critical thinking skills necessary to carry out the King's Law in the absence of the other two parties. Daniel of House Toevass might make a good mayor.
Boomer Powderbang

Maka, isn't your name actually an Orcish antonym for the word organization?
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

Um... sure!! Maka be captain of guard now!

*maka looks around at everyone* I'm serious! I could do it really well!
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

Ask my guys! I get them teachers, money, everything they need, and I'm always in town!
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

*Edrick set's up*

As the chief enforcer of Mandilore I have alot of experience of orginizing people and enforcing the king's laws. If no other wish's to step up and take the reigns of leadership, I will. I like the people of Midway and willing to serve any way I can.
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

unless Locklain wants to go against the norm the captain of the guard tends to be someone who doesn't belong to any of the houses that way they don't show favor towards one more than the others. Our constable chooses who gets to be in that position with all the fun filled joys that follow.

For the Mayor it is up to the council to decide on that unless majority of the people who tend to be available are not this position pretty much is just a title.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Boomer Powderbang

It doesn't have to be just a title though. The Mayor can serve as a community organizer, event promoter, lead Town Council meetings, sit as a non-voting voice of reason on the Council, and whatever else the Council thinks would make a good Mayor.

This could be the perfect position for a real go-getter. The Mayor should be a leader who can help lead the town into prosperity. From what I've gathered so far, these types of tasks end up getting laid in the Constable's lap, and I'm certain that he's got enough crap on his plate.
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*maka looks around at everyone who continues speaking, waiting to see if anyone will address her suggestion*

*she points at herself and nods her head to anyone who makes eye contact with her*
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

Okay, so, you guys think it's funny or dumb that orc be town guard leader. maybe it is. but it also GOOD IDEA!!

I can lead men. I can make sure crap get done. I can even learn to read if it make you happy! I do it!
Kenric Sayne

Post by Kenric Sayne »

"Maka, it's not their decision who to appoint as Captain of the Guard, that falls to the constable."
Kenric Sayne
Ex-Magistrate and Former Head of House DeVris, Midway
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

yeah, okay, maybe, but if they agree or anyone supports me maybe locky listen.