The Cave of the Ancients
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The Cave of the Ancients

Post by GM Evan »

*Vaellar stands up on a table and begins to address anyone who wishes to listen*

"I have been hearing talk about venturing into the cave of the ancients. With that in mind I think all those who have knowledge about the cave should share this knowledge. Sorry Darthesis, but I am going to give all the information I have about the cave away for free.

Here is what I know about the Cave:

1. The cave is a creature of order or chaos...Im not sure which.
2. The cave moves to various locations around the world. I believe it moves on a monthly basis.
3. The cave will only allow 8 living people to enter it at one time. Chaos and order aligned beings do not seem to be counted towards this limit. However, living beings still trapped in the cave from previous adventures have counted in the past limiting the number Midway could send in even more.
4. The cave itself radiates fear. The fear increases the further into the cave you go. I dont recall the exact fear itself, Daniel may be able to provide more specific info on that.
5. Each "Level" of the cave is broken into 3 parts. The first half, a midway trial, and then the second half. Any spells, potions or effects that have a "combat" duration will end at each of these points. So you will need 3 of them in order to have the effect for one full level of the cave.
6. The creatures which are fought within the cave seems to be somewhat random but usually includes undead, golems, and monsters which do not need to eat to stay alive. This is not always the case, but is a tendancy.
7. At the end of each level is a door which is locked and usually trapped rather heavily. The difficulty to open the lock increases as you go deeper into the cave.
8. On the first level of the cave be prepared to fight things that swing 10-12 dagger blows regularly or 5-8 dagger blows or armor piercing or unblockable damage. Also be prepared for them to be slaying and possible even a few death blows. These number increase by around 25% for every HALF level deep you go. So on level 3 expect things to attack for 25-30 dagger blows or 15-20 with some special ability such as vorpal, crush, drain, or even steal.
9. When you leave the cave you will be assaulted by the spectral guardian. The strength of the guardian is generally about twice that of the average creature on the level you got to. So if you clear level 1, unlock the door and open up level 2...the guardian will be around twice the strength of the average monster from level 2. The locked doors seem to be somewhat related to the strength of the guardian. I have seen reports where clearing a level will sometimes cause the guardian not to challenge adventurers upon exiting, but I have seen other reports where he does challenge them regardless of them clearing the level. Of course its always possible they missed a hidden creature or something of that nature.

That is all I can remember at this time. I encourage others to add what information they have to this list.

I would also suggest that when forming groups you not simply gather 8 individuals. A well balanced party is invaluable within the cave. My suggestion would be to form groups as follows.

1. - Warrior
2. - Warrior
3. - Mage
4. - Trap Rogue
5. - Loremaster/riddle person
6. - Healer
7. - Offensive geared Warrior/Assassin
8. - utility/Oh shit guy - this is your fallback in case the main person of that role cant do it. They ideally can step into any of the other roles on a limited basis and usually will have some "tricks" to help cover the unforseen.

In addition I also recommend that anyone going into the cave have 10 or more expendable items of a tier equal to the level of the cave your entering into. So an 8 person team going into level 1 of the cave should probably have 80 potions/scrolls/one shot items that are on par with tier 1 or 2 magical spells. Examples would be Resist pain potions, healing potions, 50-100pt armor potions.

I would also suggest that the group hire an outside mage or alchemist who is not going with them to provide buffs to the group so that they go into the cave at full strength. I know some groups in the past have gone so far as to offer a half share of any treasure found to those who provide significant amounts of support without joining in the crawl itself.

If you dont have these sorts of resources...I suggest you talk to Mr. Green quickly. Be prepared to spend coin...the cave will reward you for it if you are prepared. If you step in without being fully prepared you not only endanger yourself but the other 7 people counting on you to be fully prepared.

I hope this information proves useful in your endeavor and wish you the best of luck. If anyone has other information about the cave, or contrary information then I have provided please speak up I make no guarantees that my information is fact and am fairly certain it is not 100% accurate.

*Vaellar steps down from the table, takes a long drink from his mug glancing around at the faces of those gathered whom he considers friends and allies and appears genuinely worried.*
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Re: The Cave of the Ancients

Post by Maka »

Oh I so freakin wanna go....!!
Captain of the Town Guard
Hordemaster of Maka's Bludgeon and Brew
Member of the Alchemist Guild
Sadly resigned from House Mandalor
AlexV
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by AlexV »

Stag stands up from his position in the corner.

"I know i am but a budding alchemist, but i will provide all the support i can. All i ask in return is for a copy of any alchemical formula you may find, and any item you have that was replaced by something you found in the cave. Your old sword, your old shield, your old trinkets, that sort of thing."
Vorrin Lambsheart
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

heh, yeah, lets give EVERYTHING extra to Stag, the other 15 people can just take a nap.

I can go beat shit up and keep us strong wif potions!
AlexV

Post by AlexV »

Stag smiles at Maka.

"I'm just asking for the leftovers of whoever wants to use my services."
Vorrin Lambsheart
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

*maka laughs loudly*

All the extra gear for your services... very nice. HOw about I give out potions for the regular share of the loot since it's usually done pretty okay!
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

Trading services works great. But as soon as coin trade hands taxes must be paid and the one selling better have a write!

Please keep this in mind when doing business. I don't want the law to come down on you find folks of Midway. If you have any questions or concerns, please see Mr Green or myslef.

As for the Cave, Vaellar, you information meets and is more detialed than mine. Good summary.

And folks, this is a very serious adventure. So only the serious and focused will go. The 8 must work as a team and listen to the leader of the group. It is not about being a hero, but working as a team to reach a the end of the level all alive!
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Maka
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Maka »

Eddy, you crack me up. Taxes Taxes Taxes!
AlexV

Post by AlexV »

Stag smiles in amusement.

"It's why i either give my potions away or trade them. Saves me a lot of gold and hassle."
Vorrin Lambsheart
Vaanak
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Vaanak »

"I'm ready. Olaf and I signed up for first level. Let's do this!" The glint of excitement can be seen in Vaanak's eyes.
Vaanak the Orc
All around awesome orc.
Chronixxx Thunderforge
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Post by Chronixxx Thunderforge »

Thanks Vaellar, your knowledge you speak is well received and appreciated. Now can I perchance borrow those lock picks I made for you *wink*?
Sir Chronixxx Lightningforge
Grandmaster Smith
Grandmaster Exotic Smith
Member of the Arms & Armor Guild
Knight of Windcrest
Member of Clan Draconis
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Are you certain about the Cave not counting those of us who follow Order? I seem to recall that we counted in some way.
Jack of Spades
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Jack of Spades »

I sincerely hope all of you are doing this for the right reasons, not for gold and magical trinkets. I have never been but that place is dangerous. Be smart, move quickly and, get out the moment you have the flower. That is why you're all doing this isn't it?
Commissar Jack Maxwell
Baronial Magistrate and House Head of Ironguard
Commander of The Black Fleet,
Master of the Long Knives.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

I would suggest either bringing a smith with you who can repair in the field or an extra suit of armor to those that wear it. Just a thought that is...

Cronixx I sometimes forget that your a smith since I have never sold anything you have made.. Both blackstone and I are looking for a trainer in exotic material trainers would you know anyone who was an expert or greater that would be willing to train.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

The "cave" follows a set of rules I do not claim to fully understand. However, I can tell you that beings of order count toward the eight. One must be a powerful being of Chaos in order to not count toward the eight, at least bestowed the rank of knight of chaos.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.