The Trial of Willy Wickerton
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

dier_cire
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Re: The Trial of Willy Wickerton

Post by dier_cire »

*gesturing towards the magic dead cell*

yeah, actually it's highly likely he didn't know anything about the necromancy. The 'trinket' was actually a fairly ingenius air magic device. It's too bad it had to be destroyed. It could have been useful for defensive purposes.

*to Zen*

And, Zen or Shovel, I would highly suggest you stop badgering the nobles. Think of it this way, if someone with no status came into your land and started telling you that you were wrong in your style of justice, what would you do? There is a difference between knowing you are smarter than others and verbal diarrhea of that. At this point, whatever goal you were trying to accomplish has been lost by the attitude by with you've presented it. Even if you were right, none of the humans in charge would do things your way out of spite. So please, take a drink for the road and go clear that head before you get into more trouble.

*holds out some elvish wine*
Eld - retired
Karn
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

"Watch it Eld, or you'll end up with a new name too." *grins*
*turns to Divin*

"With you and Flint out of Town they needed something besides Kane to keep this place entertaining." *winks*
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

Talking about the law has made me think of a couple questions.

What is the current law about toxins?

Are they legal to carry? make? sale?

I undestand one can use them on the enimes of Silverthorn, but is illegal to use them against the people of Silverthorn. I view using toxins on the people of silverthorn as it would be like taking a sword and hacking people down. Both are very illegal and just wrong.
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

"Nail on the head. Its all about intent. Sword, Charm, Toxin.. its all the same if you use them properly.
If you dont... well like you said, 'very illegal'."
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn sits and chats quietly with Kimberlyn, keeping an ear open to the conversation going on around her as well*
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

(looks over at edrick)

edrick the sale and use of toxins is very questionable to the point where you will have problems finding anyone that would be willing to buy, sell or even want to discuss the sale of those items. In some areas of Silverthorn even having toxins on you can cause you to be arrested. I would stay away from them all together unless your using them in a lab to research a way to combat a toxin.

I would also highly recommend not attempting to deal in toxins or have them on you unless you are on your way out to engage enemies of the crown and will not be stoping anywhere in between.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Not that I wish to promote toxins...

But I do wish to clarify. It is completely legal to manufacture, own, or sell toxins. Ones that effect the body or the mind. However, as Andrew stated, you are on a slippery slope and one many merchants won't want to find themselves on.

It is not only illegal to use toxins against any human or demi-human resident of Silverthorn it is also a point of OPINION within DeVris as to whether you used toxins illegally. Poison a bear trying to attack you, likely legal. Poison a farmer's cow, illegal. Plus since DeVris is allowed much leeway in punishments for crimes, realize that using toxins in the commission of any crime will probably make it clearer to them you had nefarious motives and end up a decision of guilt and a larger punishment.

I also do not know of any local laws against them in any area of Silverthorn, but Andrew may have researched this more thoroughly than I and it's certainly within any duke, baron, or thane's right to create such a specific law if they so wished.

As such, you are walking a fine line by manufacturing, owning, or selling toxins, and most CERTAINLY by using them. If you want to take a few steps away from that gray line that is the law... stay away from toxins.

I myself will use them only when there is no other option and always within the boundaries of our law system as defined by our King and his representative in such matters, House DeVris.

In the past both toxins and charms were completely illegal but this created a black market for both where they were not regulated, taxed, or spoken of. The King rightly decided to bring them into the open and let the law determine if any use of them is illegal or 'wrong'.

Obviously no one will have an issue with you using a charm of some sort to pacify a wild animal that is attempting to do you harm, now that it is out in the open, common sense can reign, if of course your local House DeVris representative shows common sense... no organization is 100% competent. We are lucky in this town.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

Thank you. In my duties as an enforcer I wanted to know what the current laws are of the Kingdom I serve. I needed to know what to tell folks when they ask for a writ to sale toxins.

It is legal, but unwise to use, make and defently sale.
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Rooks Reayvalynn »

*A small pack of armadillos carrying a large covered sedan chair approaches the inn. A small man leading the armadilloes ties them off and runs back to assist an exceptionally portly man from the chair. After a struggle and some bickering the two enter the inn and the larger man speaks."

"*Hmaarrr*... i am here in search of the Local Magistrate Jack Maxwell. *Mhaar...* I understand he is in need of a representative of jakorick to investigate a trial curretly on his docket. I would appreciate any assistance in finding him... and a chicken... cooked succulently... *huhhh*, and some potatoes...

*shmup...*

And some wine."
X-GM Fesko

Post by X-GM Fesko »

"An Air talesman?" Jonas Glitter speaks up from his cell. "Haven't made many of those. I'm a Water Mage - mostly good luck charms. Certainly nothing I'd call 'ingenious'. I've made an Air ring that'd make you faster for a bit, another that'd make you more agile, but those are nothing special. Can't imagine how they might hurt someone. What happened that was so bad?"
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

*looking at the portly man*

"Gorilan, good to see you outside, and um.. not sweating."

"Wine I have, and some small snacks. But nothing suitable for a man of your.. appetites."
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

"What???!?!?! No... *huuughhh* Chicken? Perhaps a goose... a half half dozen or so pheasants???" *smack his attendant* "See *huuuurrr* I told you we should have brought snacks. None the less... "Jack... Jack bring me jack. I am a very busy man... *ghuuur* *wipes his brow which has become quite heavy with sweat* Mayhaps i could get that wine now Thane Sylas?"

*with obvious effort the large man waddles over to the bar to retrieve the wine from Sylas*

"Away with you byutswyper... fetch me my snacks!!!"
Jack of Spades
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Jack of Spades »

"I am Magistrate Jack Maxwell. May I have your name sir"?
Commissar Jack Maxwell
Baronial Magistrate and House Head of Ironguard
Commander of The Black Fleet,
Master of the Long Knives.
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

*smahhhh* "Yes my name oc course... i guess it was'nt you who directly requested my pressance. I am Gorilan Ufcer, baronial representative of Jackoric at your service"
*Gorilan attempts a slight bow that just looks pathetic*
Jack of Spades
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jack returns the bow, just deeper then Gorilan.

"You have been summoned on behalf of Willy Wickerton. He claims you will be able to prove his innocents. As it stands I believe him guilty of theft. It was two moons ago that Willy came to Midway to sell potions, however they were just colored water."

Jack pulls a large handful of potions from a pouch on his belt and extends his hand to Gorilan.

"These are some of the fraudulent potions if you wish to inspect them further. Is there any other information you require to begin"?
Commissar Jack Maxwell
Baronial Magistrate and House Head of Ironguard
Commander of The Black Fleet,
Master of the Long Knives.