Taxes
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Taxes

Post by halfelfman »

Enters the bar...

Greetings all I am here to Announce:

By Decree of the Town Council Taxes are to be now collected on a BI-Monthly Basis.

Failure to pay can and may result in loss of possessions and or also jail time up to and may include death.

If you have not paid your taxes or have failed to keep accurate records please see me immediately!

In the result you do not you may also be held to as if you have not paid taxes.

Taxes are to be paid on all Sales of Goods and or Services.

All taxes are to be paid at the local Level this includes even if you have a National Charter

--posts a copy of what he has just stated in the tavern--

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Kimberlyn Darksbane
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Re: Taxes

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

*Looks at the person who entered in Inn OOG: Sense magic level 10*

And you are?
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Andrew Green your local Tax collector.

How can i be of service?

Adventuring note # 121

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Kimberlyn Darksbane

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

Umm...nothing at the moment. I just haven't seen you around. I've seen Edrick but not you.

I'm Kimberlyn, Kimberlyn Darksbane Thane Mage Hunter of House DeVris.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Edrick is a member of Mandalor I am the local head for Legacy and Midway.

It is a pleasure to meet you,

I tend to do my best to make myself available at the tavern when I can.

As a member of House Devris are you in need of any services that I have to offer?

Adventuring note # 121

Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Good to hear we're getting more serious about this, the taxes should be funding improvements in this town.

Note that your last point there is illegal, so I might cut that. I always have the option to pay at a higher level, I'm a freeman, I'm not bound to this town. However, it would be foolish to pay at a higher level as it's harder to get better tax rates and you don't see the advantages of your tax dollars helping fund your own town, which helps you directly.

So I will of course continue to pay locally.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

I am sorry Darthesis but individuals that are covered by a National Charter are still required to pay thier taxes at the local level.

Adventuring note # 121

Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

"Not exactly. I know from my running of the Sensualists Guild.. which ran under a National Charter. You are required to pay taxes, and as a local you are expected to pay them on the local level. Now if I ran the Guild on a wider level, say Here AND in Portsend then I fall ander two localities.. Who do I pay? Well I could pay each seperately, but thats a pain in the ass, or since it takes place in two different Baronies I could choose to pay them on the Ducal level as the transactions all take place in the same Duchy. Either way you would have your tax logs, and be able to make them available to the local administration."
*looks up*
"What? I know a few things."
*goes back to wiping the bar*
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

If they are an acknowledged member of that town, you are correct. Let's say for example you had someone who was the head of no local organizations, had no position within a town, had never slept within said town, and only visited it on various days of the a month. Perhaps his residence was elsewhere. Perhaps... he was considered a resident of the barony or duchy. These are all possible for more cosmopolitan people. Some people might have 'membership' in 3 or 4 towns... confusing the option of where they pay taxes.

In most cases you are correct, but there is no reason to come down harshly when taxes hadn't even been collected for months. I see Mandalor is getting their house in order and I'm glad. Organization breeds profit for me.

The final rule you have there does not apply to everyone who might read that note and as such probably shouldn't be there. Perhaps I'm the only person this applies to, but as I said, I will pay my taxes here in Midway regardless, it's simply the right thing to do for me.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*Aroura speaks from the rafters*

What about the definition of Sales of Services we discussed in the meeting?
We agreed we needed to have a definition so that people could understand this.

Just checking,
Gone and Yet not gone
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Aurora I am still working on that and plan to meet with my superiors. Once i have that information I will also post it as agreed, but until then I have to follow by what I am aware of which is the sale of all goods and services are to be taxed.

Sylas an exception for payment of taxes above the Local in your case stated would be determined at a level possibly higher than the Ducal. Taxes are to be paid at the local with those taxes they are used to levy needed payment for maintance and consciption of service to maintain the realm.

If someone above the local level accepts payment of taxes then I would believe they would be needed to distribute those taxes to the lower levels and if need be also higher levels.

For who you should pay your taxes to in your example... You on a personal level would need to pay taxes to the local in the town you consider your primary location with in Silverthorn. For your members they too would need to pay thier locals in the town they consider thier primary location with in Silverthorn.

Adventuring note # 121

Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

i assume these taxes are in reguards to services sold, not purchased, am i correct?
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

correct they are only on sold not purchased. so if you where to purchase a sword then the person selling it would have to pay taxes on how much they sold it for.

Adventuring note # 121

Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

i assume you will be providing scribes for tax record keeping to the people of town then.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Each person is responsible for keeping their own tax logs. There is no requirement to do so, Mandalor will keep their own copy of how much you pay them. However, if you do enough business you SHOULD keep your own logs, as if Mandalor decides to investigate if you have paid your full share... and you cannot provide proof through logs that you have done so... bad things can happen.

You can hire a scribe to keep your logs if you are unable to do so, however as stated, this only applies to those who sell goods or services.

If you adventure and find treasure, there is nothing to tax.

If you trade goods or services with someone and no money trades hands, there is no tax.

If you buy goods or services, there is no tax for you.

However, if you sell items or your services, then you DO owe tax on this. Mandalor I'm sure will be willing to answer all your questions.

Mandalor is also likely to be willing to offer to keep books for you for a fee... however that is letting those who might audit you keep you safe... I trust the Mandalor representatives in town, but that can change over time.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum