Taxes
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Re: Taxes

Post by Zen Zecharion »

i ask because i have no intention of keeping any kind of books for anyone, as it is not my concern whether their records are up to date or not, if they would wish that records be kept on each individual persons dealings than they should be the ones to supply the scribes to do so. it seems to me that this is a mandate that should be handed down to business owners, people such as the guild and house heads as well as the local magistrate/constible/thane and such, NOT to townsfolk or other individuals. it also seems that this is a mandate handed down in a manner of force rather than consideration, as a means to enslave the public rather than support it, the wording of such a decree comes off as violent and agressive, implying that force will be taken if the people do not bend to the will of the tax collector.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

For everything you have just covered Darthesis there are several things in discussion still. For taxes I will be posting a complete run down of what items and actions that required taxation and those that do not once I have met with the higher levels of mandalor.

The letter of the law states the sale for all goods and services which can be understood in several ways. An example could be providing a service for someone in return they make you a suit of armor. In one way it could be viewed as you have just sold your skills for a suit of armor and should be taxed on the value of the armor and the other would be no coin crossed hands so no taxes are needed.

For a town scribe to keep records... I am currently busy with several things but may start doing that in the near future at no cost for those unable to keep thier own records.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

*at the mention of scribe services being offered to upkeep the books that andrew is demanding, zen replies*

"excelent, its good to see that somone is willing to put forth the services required to accomodate what they are demanding.
Kimberlyn Darksbane
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

*Kimberlyn just keeps an eye on Zen while they are discussing taxes.*

Andrew I'd possibly also recommend possibly giving a lesson or walking people how to keep accurate logs in case the scribes aren't available. Just a thought.

*She looks at Darthesis*

When you have a chance I need to talk to you Darthesis.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

And just for everyone's information this IS a King's law, not a law put down by our local town. If you do not wish to have tax records, simply do not sell anything, a good or a service, or have someone else do your selling for you. If you do, you must follow the King's merchantile rules.

Kimberlyn, I can speak with you now if you wish.

*** Gestures to the back door
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Kimberlyn Darksbane

*Follows out the back door*
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

And the Kings tax laws will be enforced!! If you have questions or concerns please talk to Andrew or myself. Same goes for writs.

We are here to help and keep people out of trouble. But if you try to cheat the King, the full weight of the law be thrown at you.
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

and again with the agressive tones, do you intend to interogate every person on matters of sale or the lack thereof. by the tone of this notice there will be questioning of anyone even if they do not sell anything.
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Yup. That is my job and I'm trying to prevent this town from getting into trouble. If you do not sell items or services you have nothing to fear. If you do sale items or services, you better have an up to date ledger and be handing in your taxes to Andrew Green on a Bi-Monthly basises. This is the time to get your books in order and ask for help if there is any questions. Becasue soon, Mandilore will be cracking down and the law will be enforced and punishments given for law breakers. The King is very serious when it comes to taxes.
Kimberlyn Darksbane

*Walks back in after talking to Darthesis outside*

I"m going to go off the subject of taxes...

Mr. Green or Andrew, I hear that you are the man to go to if one wishes to purchase something. Is this correct and if so I can let you know what I'm in the market for.
Last edited by Kimberlyn Darksbane on Wed May 06, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Kimberly, Yes if anything is in need of being purchased or sold I tend to be able to acquire the best deal available.

For the scribe training I am first sorting out the grey areas that are open to debate before going forward and teaching how to keep records.

Edrick, there are more members in Mandalor than just you and I with Valar being the oldest active member currently and he was the prior head of the house. There are also a few members both enforcers and collectors that are still in the house but have been out of contact for awhile.

Zen, I always offer to sell goods for people and once I am a little less busy will be attempting to keep an active running log record for services provided for anyone not wanting to keep thier own records.
Last edited by halfelfman on Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

iv no intention of selling anything. i just dont want to be interrogated because im not keeping records of my non existant business, such interrogations might turn out badly for both parties involved.
Kimberlyn Darksbane

*Kimberlyn looks at Andrew*

Well when you have a few moments I'll let you know what I am after and you can let me know how much it would be for me.
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

*Edrick bows to Andrew*

I did not cite the other members because I did not know who they are. As for Valar, I was not going to offer his service up with out asking him or you if that was ok.

I appolgize if I sounded like there are only 2 of us in the house. I meant no offense.

*Edrick turns to Zen*
I have been asking folks these following questions
Do you sale any items or services? If yes, than I ask to see your ledger and ask if you are a member of an orginzation or have a writ that gives you the right to sale items or services.
If you do not have a writ or belong to the proper orginzation, Mandilore will help you to resolve the problem.

If you do not sell anything, than there is nothing to worry about. Just answering some simple questions.
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*From where she is leaning against one wall, her House DeVris symbol displayed on her belt*

Zen, I suggest you might want to take a walk to cool off. Your words sounded dangerously close to a threat.

*To Everyone*

What Andrew has posted and said is the King's Law. As an expert in the Law, I can verify this. If you wish to live in this Kingdom, I suggest you follow it. If you do not owe taxes because you do not sell your goods or services, a personal ledger is not required of you. Whether you keep a personal ledger is up to you, but do not claim ignorance when House Mandalore decides to audit you. Personally, I keep one just in case because I like for my records to be in order. No one ever said that it had to be scribed. I'm sure your handwriting, as long as it is legible, will be sufficient.