A DWARF WALKS INTO THE TAVERN
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Briston
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

A DWARF WALKS INTO THE TAVERN

Post by Briston »

A middle aged dwarf carrying numerous tools and gadgets trundles into the tavern, approaches the bar, and turns to face the crowd. He leans heavily on his hammer and humbly calls for attention.

“Greetings heroes of Midway. I see many new faces here and suspect most of you have not met me. I am Grimble Lorecrafter, and I come seeking your help.”

“Before I request your aid let me first explain some of our history. An age ago our clan locked itself away within the Mountains of Borrodir, far to the west, beyond what was recently known as the Sea of Dust. We stayed there for centuries, apart from the world, keeping our knowledge safe, and we were content. Some few years past, however, The Bell sounded, calling for our return to the dwarven homeland. Our leader, Pal’nok, chose to answer that call, and with the aid of the heroes of Midway we were able to leave our ancient retreat and return to the home where we belong.”

“Part of our history that few know is that before we came to Borrodir we first attempted to build a home somewhere else. At the guidance of Tome Lord Gognizar, who was better known as The Artificer, we delved deep into the first mountain we came across after we left the dwarven homeland. We called this place Doru’dar, but we were not there for long, for we soon discovered the nature of the mountain. The raw chaos energies disrupted our runes and twisted our creations, and after attempting to manage for years, we finally departed. When we did, however, we were forced to leave some things behind.”

“The first of the Tome Lords, and one of the founders our clan, was named Fern. He kept with him a book that contained all the knowledge of the Lorecrafters, and this book was passed down from Tome Lord to Tome Lord. It was kept by Gognizar when our clan left the homeland, but somewhere in the journey to Borrodir it was lost. We believe it was locked within his workshop in Doru’dar.”

“I have been leading a small team of dwarves in excavating the Ruins of Doru’dar, in hopes of uncovering some of our lost knowledge and ancient artifacts. Over the years some folk from Midway have aided in clearing some of the more dangerous areas. The task I seek help with now, though, is not so simple as this. We recently discovered The Artificer’s Workshop within the deepest part of the ruins. Anxious to discover what was there, and in hopes of finding the Book of Fern, I sent a party of our best dwarves in, but they have not yet returned. And worse, the door into the Artificer’s Workshop has sealed itself, and we have been unable to open it again.”

“We believe the components needed to craft another key, to regain entrance, may be hidden throughout the various sections of the workshop that we still have access to. These areas are the places where the Artificer’s apprentices once worked. Each apprentice specialized in a different craft, and their workshops were uniquely built to suit their purposes. We are afraid that we do not have the strength to get through these areas ourselves, and though we have sent for aid to the dwarven homeland, we fear it may come too late. And so we ask for your help.”

“The workshops will be riddled with traps, and puzzles, and golems, and this will be a most dangerous task. It will try your strength of body and sharpness of mind. And if we succeed in opening the door to the Artificer’s Workshop we have little idea of what is hidden beyond and what must be done to aid our missing companions.”

“As payment for your help we offer our most valuable resource: our knowledge. We will teach and mentor those who aid us, in whatever we are able. Please, help us find our brethren and recover our most prized artifact, the Book of Fern. Those interested should gather here in Midway and prepare. We will return soon. Thank you.”

Grimble waits a short while to answer any questions people may have, and to see who might be interested in his request.
Briston Lorecrafter
Dravec
Greenie
Greenie

Re: A DWARF WALKS INTO THE TAVERN

Post by Dravec »

"I have a question if you wouldn't mind a quick chat in private."
Dravec the Avyana
Lost without the Axe :(
...smells like an Orc
Briston
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Briston »

Grimble nods to Dravec. "Of course, let me buy you a drink."

*Grimble and Dravec speak for a few minutes, and then Grimble returns to see if there are others who have questions.*
Briston Lorecrafter
Anya
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Anya »

"Why does it always have to be golems..." Anya grumbles and steps closer, "Do you know if they have the usual immunities or are they "special" in what will harm them?"
~Anya Stanslinski
Baker and Spellweaver
Briston
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Briston »

Grimble furrows his brow as he answers Anya's question.

"Lorecrafter golems tend to be different from most. I know that much. Some of our creations are built with delicate gears inside and are actually quite susceptible to attacks that pierce their outer covering. Otherwise, they're generally resistant to things that might charm a person or put them to sleep, but they are affected by all elements."

"The Artificer and his apprentices created some particularly unusual golems in their day, so I would be prepared for anything. They almost always have some sort of strength and some sort of weakness. There's a good chance a lot of that knowledge is buried in books somewhere."
Briston Lorecrafter
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Daniel smiles and looks up from his book. So knowledge is the payment you say... interesting. When do we leave.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.