Sitting in a meeting
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

NPC SoCo
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Sitting in a meeting

Post by NPC SoCo »

For what seems like hours now Daniel, Kathryn, Edrick, Anya and Gunner (and maybe a few others?) have been talking at a corner table.

In a voice that seems to have become frustrated enough that it is likely that all in the inn could over hear it Danial stands up and says, "This is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. First, the market falls out and the value of my Grand Master potions and others Grand Master Crafted items become worth the exact same amount as the work being performed by some initiate! Second, we loose our ability to sell to the big cities. Third, as a result of both of these market failures taxes obviously decrease. Fourth, your solution is to raise taxes to increase profitability and commerce? Are you kidding me. Seriously?

It is basic mathematical and economical rules. In the entire history of Phantara, a market based economy such as we have, one which is sustained only being able to sell our supply to meet a demand and pay a tax upon that amount, that has the market gutted by a change in demand will never correct itself by increasing the taxes!

Let me give you a example and the reason why our current town is running into economic shambles. When you gut demand by cutting the price of a potion from 12 pemb per amount of effort (pp) to 4 pemb per amount of effort (pp) you will suffer an overall decrease in the amount of revenues gained and in the taxes raised.

But it doesn't stop there. People begin to reevaluate their entire line of work. It is no longer profitable to be a craftsman or a alchemist for the purpose of selling those goods. Now that they only make 1/3 of their former earnings they consider doing something else, like giving up crafting or only using their potions on themselves and friends instead of selling them for what amounts in some cases barely enough to cover the costs of their labs and their materials!

But even if the economy of the town were able to survive this gutting, clearly the inability to find outside buyers willing to take general goods put a nail in the coffin. At least at scrap prices you use to be able to find someone willing to buy whatever left overs we had. Now you can't even do that. It's all special orders. It's all sporadic. I may have someone come in once per moon looking for a specific potion, and light help me if it's on Saturday night when I'm tired and most of my efforts are long since used up.

Short version. If you cut the value of our goods and then you cut off the demand of our goods, how do you expect to make the same amount off us to continue to bring in the same expected taxes? People are simply NOT selling anything. This entire conversation is a waste of time. Acting on behalf of my house there is no way I'll agree to increase what I am spending while getting lower and lower income. And if your superiors don't understand math I will be happy to explain it to them. People are not selling stuff because THERE IS NO ONE TO SELL TO and EVEN WHEN THERE ARE PEOPLE TO SELL TO THEY ARE NOT PAYING ANYMORE!

I'm getting a drink."

Daniel leaves the counsel meeting and heads to the bar.
"INVICTUS" by William Ernest Henly
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS

Player Ombudsman
Anya
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: Sitting in a meeting

Post by Anya »

Anya stands up, adjusts her cape, picks up her staff and speaks more calmly than Daniel did, "I am sorry, but I can't support you increasing the taxes for people AND also issuing a tax to all the guilds. That is a double tax on many people and completely unfair. Bad enough, as Daniel pointed out, the economy has already started collapsing, but this would push most people to completely cease the selling of their wares." She nods to Daniel and then steps outside for some fresh air after arguing for a long time at the Council Meeting.
~Anya Stanslinski
Baker and Spellweaver
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

*Edrick stands up, angered*

What you have said is all true. I have been able to keep to cover the towns operating expenses until now. But I have used up all my tricks. I'm just looking at different ideas to cover the towns operating budget. I wasn't even talking about additional taxes to the Thane. Just getting enough money put together to pay the people who work for the town.

If the council is not willing to face this issue, I will find a way.

*Edrick walks out angered and looking to punch something*
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
NPC SoCo
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Post by NPC SoCo »

Daniel shouts at Edrick as he's walking out, "I've got an idea, if everything is worth 1/3 of it's former value then perhaps they should be paid 1/3!"
"INVICTUS" by William Ernest Henly
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS

Player Ombudsman
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*In a normal tone*

Well, that's the most logical thing I've heard all afternoon.
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

Hey, if that's what the council wants to do, do it. But the charters state what the payment is going to be. Have fun getting them changed!
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Gunnar Haymish
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Gunnar Haymish »

*Gunnar looks down at his hands for a moment than stands up. Push his chair back and grab's his tankard and other items. the look on his face is less than happy. He turns to each member still seating down, an in a very even tone.*

"Forgive me I am going to take my leave form this topic at this time. It seems that Tempers are getting the best of some. While a cool head and a steadfast mind is needed to get the ball going again. I am going to go for a walk and check on the few things that need to be attended too. Maybe we can pick this meeting up in a few days once tempers and calmer minds start to settle in to some."

*Gunnar walks out does not look back as he walks toward the exit.*
Member of the House Jakoric
Member of the Argent of the Falcon Mercenary Guild of Midway