Aroura comes into the Inn
The tavern in Midway is open for business!

Moderator: Moderators

Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild

Aroura comes into the Inn

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*Aroura walks into the Inn, with an unhappy face*

*looks around*
Members of the council and anyone else who cares to hear.
There is a rumor that has reached my ears. That someone is requesting force-ably that magic items be brought forth as well as spell books for record for house Tovass. A couple things; House Tovass needs to have orders from the Thane for such requests. And magic items in the past have had this request put on their owners, but as a request only. It was not a requirement, and it was during the war when we were losing against the red tier.
Now if it is not House Tovass making this request and a general person, they must again have a written request by the Thane or higher.
Also spell books are only required to be given over for review by the head of the mages guild or house.
For example I can ask to review spell books from mages in midway apart of the mages guild. But if they are mages with house Tovass I cannot. The same goes for House Tovass can only ask for mages spell books that are apart of house Tovass, not the mages guild.
Now anyone who has an issue with what I have stated come to me, and me alone to discuss. If anyone feels I have made false statements talk with me or your local house heads. But to the general public, you do not have to give over your property even for recording without written requests that are approved by the Local thane or higher.
Thank you everyone for your time.
*Aroura walks up to the bar*

May I please get an Elven Wine?
Gone and Yet not gone
celegar
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: Aroura comes into the Inn

Post by celegar »

*ziggy stands atop the bar, cleans a glass, and sets it down, reaching for the mugs*

you gots it aurora, now would you like wood elven, high elven, or dark elven?
Ziggy Sprickzlesprooock M.D. -Gnomegeneer Extraordinaire-
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

*Daniel smiles at the wood elven lady before replying. For those who know him well he seems like himself, but just a bit different. It's hard to put a finger on it. Clearly the events near war/end of the world from last month have made him pay a toll.

Aroura, I've no knowledge of the specific incident(s) to which you are referring, however, I will speak with my local chapter head and see if she is involved as my time merits. That having been said, I think you are mistaken on a few points and it's past time that these inaccuracy's be straightened out, not just for you but for the entire town of Midway.

You mentioned
Rianna Lindsay wrote: That someone is requesting force-ably that magic items be brought forth as well as spell books for record for house Tovass.

Rianna Lindsay wrote:A couple things; House Tovass needs to have orders from the Thane for such requests.
I have no idea where you got this notion but it's completely inaccurate. At no point in time, not now, not ever has House ToeVass ever needed anyone's permission in order to inspect magical items. My guess is that you are thinking about the charter conditions regarding station. This isn't a House ToeVass thing, but rather a matter of station and it just happens to also apply to House ToeVass. It could just as easily be said that member of House DeVriss attempting to hold a trial on someone of Barron or Duke status needs to be of that level of status themselves. Specifically regarding House ToeVass, a member can only inspect "beings of a rank equal to or lower than themselves in the Kingdom of Silverthorn." For example, my local house head couldn't go asking the thane for his items for inspection and registration, whereas I would be completely within my rights to do so. Everyone else in town, to the best of my knowledge, would be fair game for her to question, inspect, and record.

Also, at this time I'm leaving open my response on spells and spell books, as to be honest, before you mentioned it I'd never really considered it or if I had it was only in a passing thought that never took root. Not being an 'Arcanists' myself, spell copies never really intrigued me. However, now that you bring it up, it does raise a good question for me and I'll look into that thought and get back to you. I will let you know that it is highly likely that should said book contain unique spell copies, it will be subject to inspection of the House of Knowledge.
Rianna Lindsay wrote: And magic items in the past have had this request put on their owners, but as a request only. It was not a requirement, and it was during the war when we were losing against the red tier.

While certainly there is some truth to how things have been done in the past in this statement, it certainly doesn't control the law. The law or charter approved by the Crown which thereby carries the exact same authority as the law, allows for House ToeVass to request to inspect every item and keep in mind it includes being(s) in the kingdom of any magical OR historical importance. While the word is request, NOTHING in the law allows said person to refuse the houses request. Please look to the King's law for your enumerated rights to see if anything in them allows a person to decline this request. I'll give you the short answer, it does not. To further emphasize this point, the charter which again is codified by the Crown and carries the weight of the law behind it, requires House ToeVass to make the inspections. The clear meaning of the charter is that House ToeVass is charged by the Crown to make the inspections and record them. The charter then explains how the entire process works. It includes restrictions placed upon members of the House and without boring you, I'll simply refer you to the charter itself for the entire list of requirements. Again, you will notice that not one thing in there allows a person to say no. To be honest, while I've never been aggressive about it, attempting to refuse a member of House ToeVass from inspecting a being or item of magical or "historical" importance would be directly interfering with an agent of the crown. Said interference would be considered a criminal action, and based upon the person whom tried your case could result in well, serious consequences.
Rianna Lindsay wrote: Now if it is not House Tovass making this request and a general person, they must again have a written request by the Thane or higher... But to the general public, you do not have to give over your property even for recording without written requests that are approved by the Local thane or higher.
Again, not sure who is telling you this, but please do not consider them to be your friend. I would assume you got this from someone like that wanted criminal Dietreck and that he is attempting to spread chaos and bring about your downfall. I can't imagine what anyone would have against you to lie to you in such a way. I've personally always found you to be one of this town's, no, this world's greatest defenders. I would hate to see your words bring about the arrests and prosecution of innocent people who were simply following your words. Please come to me with issues like this when people tell you these things so that I can help clear up the chaotic waters.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*Aroura listens to everything Daniel says, without uninterrupting*

*when he is done*

Thank you for your words on the explanation of the kings laws. While I don't agree with all things, I know you to know the law.
So i will trust what you say. I also believe you to be someone who wouldn't lie to me.
As for who told me, I will not say other than it was not Dietrek. I may have reacted irrationally to the news as it was given. I'm not saying the person misspoke but maybe my anger clouded my understanding.
While I have no issue with the House of Knowledge or anything. I do not think they should be able to copy spells that others have researched without monetary compensation. just because they have spent great money and resources to gain a new spell. and while not trying to cause issues, what about new potions, while i understand they should be checked with other alchemist for safety, do they have to give their research and time freely just because someone of equal standing or greater asks?
do not think i am challenging the kings law, just better trying to understand it.
Also when House Tovass requests to see a magic item, more historical purposes, they cannot seize them unless necromantially tainted correct? or ami wrong.

* to Celegar*
Woodelven please

*to Daniel*
May I get you a drink while we talk?
Also would you like to make an announcement to our town correcting my words, or would you like me to do it. Because like you I don't want any person getting in trouble because of words i said.
Gone and Yet not gone
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

*Edrick listens to talk and looks very interested*
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Daniel Lockheart

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Rianna Lindsay wrote:
May I get you a drink while we talk?
Now we're talking, but I insist upon paying. :) Ziggy my good man make mine a double Dorchiean whiskey please. The orange stuff if you have any in stock.

I'll be honest regarding the spells, I can certainly understand your concern. And again, I really don't know the answer to that question. It's simply never come up before. I will however be looking into it and seeing what I can learn.

As for seizing items, I'm afraid that's not one of the house's powers at all. We can ask to look it over, but there are time limits given as reasonable and likely no more than say an hour or so at most for most standard items maybe longer for artifacts of unknown origins/powers and we're required to return them once we're done. We're also required to allow the owner to remain with us/the item during the study if said person/being wishes to do so. Of course if we discovered an item of necromancy it would likely be turned over to the mage hunters or essence mages to destroy and not returned and as it's illegal to practice necromancy, I'd assume that also covers owning items of necromancy, but I'm no magistrate/mage hunter, and said owner would likely not protest said tainted item's destruction.

I will likely be available for the upcoming town meeting, however, my local head is in charge of attending the meetings if and when she can. Please feel free to discuss the matter with her and together you two can come to some resolution I'm certain.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

All sounds reasonable and what i remember for the most part, minus the person just needs to be of equal or greater rank.
Please let me know what you find out regarding spell copies / spell books as I know that could be a touchy subject with my mages and don't want anyone to get into trouble.
Unfortunately I will not be at the next town council meeting (oog Mia's birthday party is that Saturday, we were good till the event was moved :( ), but i'm sure I can find your local representative and talk things over with her.
Gone and Yet not gone