Not new, but been gone a LONG time.
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

X-GM Snow
Member of the Mage's Guild

Re: Not new, but been gone a LONG time.

Post by X-GM Snow »

I'm not sure if the points are for how common it is, or how much you hate it. My character is a 5 on your scale Doug.
-GM Snow

"I'm gonna ask you one more time, did you try to kill that Unicorn?"

"Does my answer matter? You're going to try and kill me anyway."

"You're not wrong." *Deathstrike*
Bloodharp
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Bloodharp »

I was lead to believe that the number of points are based on the commonality of the race, and that the severity was more based on the player; typically homicidal as a minimum, genocidal as a maxima, perhaps?
Flamyras Kathson of the Sky - Retired
Grout "Mortimer" of the Order of the New Dawn
Dawn Silvermourne the Scholar
"foras sesto pondero ver"
Boomer Powderbang
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

Your character has an extreme hatred of another race. He or she will harm anyone from this race any time they are encountered, no exceptions! You can not choose a hatred of a PC race.

So I spose harming isn't necessarily killing. Should get a GM/NPC to clarify. Since you "can not choose a hatred of a PC race", can the hatred be tweaked to where one can restrain themselves from outright attack against a PC dark elf, but must attack NPC dark elves?
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

I'll let the GM staff take a look at the situation. The trick is that dark elves are not a PC-able race. They have been allowed in certain circumstances as an 'advanced' race with GM approval but that was with the specific understanding that they may simply be slain on sight. Neil was certainly made aware of this before he first started this character and he understood it well.

Same rules apply, just different people with the hatred around now.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
X-GM Snow

Post by X-GM Snow »

Just found out the can't make this event, so problem postponed until July.
-GM Snow

"I'm gonna ask you one more time, did you try to kill that Unicorn?"

"Does my answer matter? You're going to try and kill me anyway."

"You're not wrong." *Deathstrike*
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

At this point with the introduction you made I'm not certain that the pc's wouldn't let the dark elf just you two fight it out. I doubt you'd win that fight, if I recall Neil was a very good fighter, course that was like ten years ago, he could be old like me now :lol:
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

also would like to point out that adoven is the smaller of the two in points i am willing to bet. Now that i know he is a 300 point pc I can state he is a caster so yeah he may get owned in combat vs that dark elf. Since the elf attacked the dark elf it's then with in the dark elfs right to request restitution also so... In short worst case Dark elf gets raised from the dead and elf gets perm killed by devris or becomes a wanted criminal so mandalor has to pay for a warrant.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

Neil you also have the friend ship of the Mage Guild head for midway & legacy. I remember you and your pc protected mine on a regular basis back then.

Aroura of Silver Willow
(wood elf) (young blonde (then) girl running around the woods a lot back then, running from all the bad stuff in town)
Gone and Yet not gone
Boomer Powderbang

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

I hear the Midway mage's guild is like 70 strong now, so that definately helps. ;)
Nalfein Xarann
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Nalfein Xarann »

Honestly, I would look at it as an opportunity for something powerful to happen RP wise. I remember the player of Kimberlyn struggling back and forth trying to figure out what to do because my very existence proved that what she thought of dark elves as a whole was in question.

I take it as part of my RP challenges to try and help convince people. And honestly it is a lot of fun generally. Unfortunately the "Hatred" system creates a problem as it kind of forces people to RP a certain way. I think there should be a grace period where a character is working towards changing their minds personally. Think of it like that moment in District 9 when that bigoted guy finally realized how crazy he was being and told that "Prawn" to get himself and his little boy out of there, knowing full well he was going to die. He went from feeling the creatures were mindless and unimportant monsters to valuing their lives enough to sacrifice his own.

If I remember right, Nalfein himself had a hatred of dark elves. Though it was a much more mild one.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

don't worry then I hear the alchemist guild has a cream for lightening the skin unfortunate it makes your voice high, your nose falls off. and you have urges to wear a rine stone glove on one hand during the process.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Nalfein Xarann
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Nalfein Xarann »

Daniel Lockheart wrote:At this point with the introduction you made I'm not certain that the pc's wouldn't let the dark elf just you two fight it out. I doubt you'd win that fight, if I recall Neil was a very good fighter, course that was like ten years ago, he could be old like me now :lol:
Actually I got a whole lot better since then. When I was out with you guys I was just average at Kanar. I became a knight and trained uber hard with some guys who were in the SCA. Kanar produces some good fighters because our system gives next to no benefits to warrior characters other then regular damage numbers. (This is not me saying Kanar is better, but it will tend to make you a really good fighter when you have no special abilities at all other then calling a bit higher damage.)

Nalfein would never kill anyone for hating Dark elves. He tries to avoid them, and offers to educate people about the evil of his kind so that they can better fight them. He would probably defend himself but he would never finish him off. And would probably pick the person up and take them to be healed.

My hope is this can be a pinnacle moment in story for the characters involved. I still remember the look on Shard's face when I spent a hero point to take a shot meant to kill her and died in her stead. That was a seriously epic moment.

So look at this as a chance for great storytelling rather then something on your character sheet. Though it will probably result in you doing something along that line.

When I wanted to come back as Nalfein my goal is not to create problems. So I am going to go out of my way to be sure that none are created. Nalfein is good at staying away from places he is not wanted and avoiding people who hate his people.

A possibility exists that I may have a different "distinction" when I arrive. Someone reminded me that our faction was becoming something else entirely called "Night Elves" (This was way before Warcraft 3) and that it was becoming understood that those calling themselves that were not of the same frame of mind at all as their opposition. Perhaps this distinction could list me as a different "race" and allow for RP instead to determine the outcome of the encounter.

You have a while, as I have to construct new swords, and get some appropriate garb together, and some make up.
Nalfein Xarann
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Nalfein Xarann »

Rianna Lindsay wrote:Neil you also have the friend ship of the Mage Guild head for midway & legacy. I remember you and your pc protected mine on a regular basis back then.

Aroura of Silver Willow
(wood elf) (young blonde (then) girl running around the woods a lot back then, running from all the bad stuff in town)
That is true. I am glad some people remember him. It will help.
Nalfein Xarann
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Nalfein Xarann »

halfelfman wrote:also would like to point out that adoven is the smaller of the two in points i am willing to bet. Now that i know he is a 300 point pc I can state he is a caster so yeah he may get owned in combat vs that dark elf. Since the elf attacked the dark elf it's then with in the dark elfs right to request restitution also so... In short worst case Dark elf gets raised from the dead and elf gets perm killed by devris or becomes a wanted criminal so mandalor has to pay for a warrant.

Ewww.... the Nalfein in me is horrified at that concept.... he would absolutely hate anything to happen to the elf in question. But it could make for some great RP.
X-GM Brian
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by X-GM Brian »

If you are interested Neil some of us get together at my place in Redford every wed to spar
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"