New
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

IIzak Valen
Pinky
Pinky

New

Post by IIzak Valen »

Okay, I've always been into this kind of thing but i've never had a chance to really pursue it and id really like to. I've been playing D&D for a while and i like the thought of larp alot, however i have some questions.

Is every session part of an ongoing campaign or are they all stand alone adventures?
What kinds of weapons would be acceptable to bring and use (for example, would something like a nerf sword be considered too out of place to be used?)
How in depth should my costume be?
How exactly is the event structured?
Does anyone know a place where i can buy items for my costume/weapons that isn't going to drain all of my money?

Thanks for everything and hopefully I'll be able to come to some events soon =D
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Re: New

Post by Kathryn Skress »

I approved you to post in the other areas of the forums, but I'll let someone else answer questions for now because I am swamped by 2 kids atm :)
Bastian
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Bastian »

Quick tag me in Nat!

Heya, I'm Brian. I help run this game and I will do my best to answer your questions.

First we allow some of the nerf weapons, none of the swords however. The axe and mace are cleared. We prefer if you take a little effort to "hide" the nerfness. A bit of duct tape or a sharpie go a long way for this.

There is an overall campaign that has been ongoing since the beginning of CARPS roughly 16 years ago. However most of the story of the long term campaign is player oriented or instigated. With a few exeptions of course. We basically run a series of modules either open to anyone or at times targeted to a specific player or group of players.

As for costuming we are not nazi's about it. We know not everyone can afford top end gear and we never expect everyone to have it. However with a little effort it is fairly easy to get a decent costume together fairly cheap. Id suggest checking second hand stores, a good sourrce for used leather jackets that you can canibalize to make armor. Or check the websites I posted in random mental called brians awesome list or something like that if you want to just find a few key pieces to build around.

If you have more direct questions or want a better explaination because I am on my phone and sure I forgot something drop me a pm. You can also pm Sylas or pirateking. They also run the game with sylas being the final authority.
NPC type guy. Go ahead and ask me questions.

I just added "yes" and "maybe" to my vocabulary.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

I'll just add for clarification that if you show up with minimal gear (just enough food/water/money/equipment to survive a weekend of 'camping') and you'll do fine. A starter costume is great, otherwise we'll try to help with loaners. A weapon or two is great, but we also have loaners as well for first time players.

You will at times feel lost in ongoing plots, but if you're willing to RP with the already existing characters you'll get involved soon enough. There will also be multiple 'plots' or mini-adventures running all through the weekend specifically targetted at newer characters. Everyone will be doing their best to be helpful in your understanding the game, getting involved, and having fun.

We do our best to make sure all newer players have fun, so don't worry about the details, just look over our rules, show up early to get help with character creation and to ask questions, and let's see if you think the game is as fun as we do.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Boomer Powderbang

Post by Boomer Powderbang »

Whereabouts are you located? If you are near some of our players they are sometimes able to make some time before the event to meet with you and go over character creation, etc.
IIzak Valen
Pinky
Pinky

Post by IIzak Valen »

haha wow thanks for getting back to me so fast everyone, I appreciate that. Umm I'm kind of out of the way so i dont think i live near anyone really who plays, im about an hour or so away from the site you guys have listed. Also i was reading through the rules and i was kind of confused by the combat system, could someone explain it to me in a bit more detail exactly how it works? Do you actually fight and dodge and parry and everything? do you have to call out your damage and damage type with every strike or only the ones that land? and just an explanation of the general mechanics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
I have nothing...Yet.
Bastian

Post by Bastian »

You would be surprised at where you will find a carpsian sir. We have players all SE michigan and even down into ohio.

As for the combat. Yes you call your damage every time you swing. Skills like block/parry/dodge are just that skills. If you actually use your weapon to parry the blow and it never hits you, you avoid the damage. However, if someone lands a hit on you, and you have a skill like parry you can then use parry to avoid the damage.

Basically here is how it works. You figure out your damage you would swing. For this we will say 3 edge. Every time you try to hit someone, you call that damage. If you land they take the damage, unless they use a skill to avoid it. These skills are finite in their uses however. Unless they are using a spell or swinging a swing called "crush" you don't take the damage as long as you block the hit. If a mage uses a spell and hits you with the spell packet after they cast, even if it hits your weapon or shield it "surges" and still effects you, unless yet again you have a skill to avoid it such as resist spell.

IIzak Valen
Pinky
Pinky

Post by IIzak Valen »

haha ok thanks for clearing that up :D and how detailed are we supposed to get about our character's background? And i'm in clinton twp lol but i might not be able to make the june event so im just kind of taking it slow right now. and one more thing, can anyone jump into the online roleplay or do you have to have gone to an actual event?
I have nothing...Yet.
Bastian

Post by Bastian »

Actually our head GM lives in Warren, and quite a few of us live in the metro detroit area.

As for background thats totally up to you. If you want to write paragraph, write a paragraph. If you want a 10 page story detailing your family history go for it as well!

Also, if you are interested we have sparring at my place usually on Wednesday's. I live in Redford so it's not that far away really.

IIzak Valen
Pinky
Pinky

Post by IIzak Valen »

well id have to get some weapons and stuff made but that sounds pretty fun. Shoot me a pm with the details? thanks bastian
I have nothing...Yet.