Deaf player?
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

willow
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Deaf player?

Post by willow »

My friend was interested in participating at carps, but there's an issue in being that he is deaf and mute I figured he would not be able to fight seeing as he can't hear or make the combat calls but as for rp I was thinking maby a none combat healer or something,what do you think
Willow "the fire serpent" Galandal.
war wizard of syl'van'der.
ex-General to the Syl'van'der mage force.
Magnate to the company of the new dawn(disbanded)
Leader of the ebben hand
Registered with ironguard magehunters
Ex-manifestation of spring
Annoyed
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Re: Deaf player?

Post by Sylas Hay »

Let it never be said that CARPs isnt accommodating. While I dont ever recall a similar issue, we did have a player once who barely spoke english.
Non-combat isnt an issue, he'll just have to wear a white sash. My only reservation is, without being able to speak how will he convey any 'healing' calls? Send me a PM, and we'll see if we cant work something out.
WayneO42
Greenie
Greenie

Post by WayneO42 »

We dealt with this back in the "Barnes Hall Basement" era for a player who actually never showed up in the end. We were going to use flash cards with the calls written on them. All non-combat ranges are primarily "Touch" anyways. Just tap the target and show them the flash card.
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

HOLY SCHNIKEYS!!! ITS A WAYNE!
Bastian
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Bastian »

Wayne's don't exist. They are merely a legend of a time long ago.
NPC type guy. Go ahead and ask me questions.

I just added "yes" and "maybe" to my vocabulary.
Gilf

Post by Gilf »

i do understand some sign language and i would be more than willing to help intepret if need be. also careful use of weapon calls could be explained before a fight. i.e. if all damage for the fight was 5 edge than all hits could just be counted. also if all calls for the fighter in question were the same say 6 blunt then no calls would be needed.
Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Hmm, no calls over 10? You could simply flash to him a hand sign before you start fighting. I think it can be worked out. Or he could do non-com and do other things. The RPing potential is always there.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

We can definitely make accommodations. We need to determine hand signals, or their equivalent for the "danger words" for CARPS.

Luckily "out of game" (crossing arms above head) is pretty universally recognized by all the players and could be used in a pinch if something needs to be addressed.
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

Right now we are going to attempt to keep it simple.
~He will be 'non-com' and wear a white sash
~He is playing a healer, and will have his 'healing calls' on flash cards.

We will adjust and grow as we can depending on the circumstances.
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

I have absolutely NO idea why I've thought of this but should this issue resurface I think combat is viable for at least a mute person. Said individual could write the damage calls of their weapons on the weapons themselves in brightly colored tape. and if need be any "armor class" taped in the same way to their armor so its obvious for people to see. more complex things like deathstrike I don't have an naswer for though. and for someone who is deaf as mentioned by Mr. Lockheart flashing your damage to the deaf person before you started swinging would work. also if they were a caster using healing spells and touch based spells would be easy by them using a "spellbook" some kinda book with all their spells written in marker on seperate pages so they would only have to open the book to the page of the spell to show what they were doing.

Thats all I got though.
I can't sew well, but I have a rivet gun and know how to use it.