Plastidip and Latex Weapons? Also questions on armor+shields
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Schwarzwald

Plastidip and Latex Weapons? Also questions on armor+shields

Post by Schwarzwald »

Since this group is rule intensive in combat, do you allow Plastidip and Latex weapons like our European brethren? I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, I'm just wondering because I feel like playing with those things and trying to create more realistic and fantasy blades would be a lot of fun.

Apparently, some other systems allow them if the striking edge is cloth. I would assume here it would be tape if I remember the rulebook correctly.

If there was anything in the rulebook about these things, I'm sorry. I haven't looked the rules over in a bit and when I was, I just breezed over the weapon fabrication at that moment. The other stuff slipped my mind and I don't know where to precisely look for this info in the rulebook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the limitations on armor creation and usage? Can non period materials be used? I've made leather armor before, but it's gotten to costly and time consuming here in college. However, my girlfriend orders a lot of wonderflex since she cosplays. That's an easily shaped plastic that can look just like whatever you want with a few layers of sealer and paint. Hell, I could cover them in foam just to make them safer and thicker too. I don't like the thought of using it in a LARP like this, but it makes life easier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the rules of shield smithing? Do you utilize hard cores for it and layer them with foam like the other games I've played, do you solely use the heavier foam sheets that take a beating and can have straps and handles attached directly to them?

Thanks a lot, Schwarz
Clovis Ballard
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Re: Plastidip and Latex Weapons? Also questions on armor+shields

Post by halfelfman »

Latex weapons are up to GM approval. On personal experience when I brought my weapons out on day one a few years back I had my arrows shot at me due to the staff is allowed to use any weapons to test safety out on the person who brought them and then determine pass/fail.

For Armor it's covered in the rule book under wear heavy and light armor. light: pg 138-139, and heavy 140-141.

Phys Rep Quality

Change in Levels
No phys rep or electing not to wear a phys rep = -2 levels

Poor phys rep as in Cardboard covered in duct tape= -1 levels

OK Phys rep as in Football or hockey pads = no change

Excellent Phys rep as in Real leather, suede, padded cloth or metal armor= +1 levels

Shields: There are a few shields out at npc camp that are made from the pink sheet foam. From what I can tell all that needs to be done is the outside of the shield covered in the 5/8 wall foam since shield bashing is not allowed. Cores that are used tend to be plastic or wood. Plastic prefered due to weight. Main thing you have to make sure when constructing a shield is that swings in on it will not cause damage to the weapon being used.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.