Interested in joining....
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Aureck

Interested in joining....

Post by Aureck »

Hey there. I'm new to LARP and am definately interested in joining up... I have tons of tabletop RP and Wargaming experience, so I don't think it will be too much of a stretch for me to get into this, but I am a little concerned about getting in over my head if I just show up to an event with a costume and a character... I was wondering if there were anyone living near the Garden City area who plays that I could maybe meet up with and talk about making my character and general game mechanics questions with?
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Re: Interested in joining....

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Sometimes showing up with a costume and character and diving in head first is the most fun :)

I don't live near you, but I'm online a lot and would be happy to help via instant messenger. A lot of our other players are online even more often then I am, and just about anyone will be more then happy to help. I can't really answer questions about mages or sneaky types, but if you have any warrior questions, I can give it a shot!

Natalie
OOG Manager
Aureck

Post by Aureck »

I suppose my biggest concerns involve what happens when I get to the event... I've read the rules, though I don't have them committed to memory or anything like that... It just seems that if I show up ready to play and I don't know anybody there, my game experience will be rather limited. I think it would be very easy to learn if I had a group of people to go around and do things with and ask questions to... I suppose it's realistic since my character won't know anyone or anything and neither will I, but it seems like going solo would defeat the purpose of a LARP... Would I just have to hang out around a tavern and 'beg' groups to let me join with them in their adventures? It seems I'd be better suited to waiting for a group of new adventurers that I could team up with, but I'm not certain how often you get new players showing up...
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

dont worry about it buddy, theres very little "grouping" in carps, although there are groups within the game itself, the pc's as a whole are generally one huge group, with everyone contributing. you wont have trouble getting started.
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

Really just coming into town is enough to be invited to go adventuring. Almost everyone is friendly in-game. And everyone is friendly out of game. Just go in the Inn get your first free drink and see what happens. Something always comes up, and normally several things need handling at one time. (easier & harder plots) Also there is a fairly decent size group of 'new' players. (there pc's are still low character points) And if you see a bunch of people heading somewhere ask someone where they are going and you'll probably be invited to join. Though if it's a really hard plot it might be suggested to stay behind. But ask anyway online questions and we'll answer. I am not near to you either, but am online alot.
Aroura / Rianna
Gone and Yet not gone
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

where garden city?
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Granted, I have been playing this game for more then 10 years now, but from that perspective, it seems like it is pretty easy for new players to become involved. You will quickly be assimilated into a group! Many players form up casual or formal adventuring groups, but another helping hand on a plot is almost always welcome, especially if you have skills useful to that particular type of plot!

We do have some newer players that you could join up with if your character feels motivated to do so, but I think its definitely worth coming out soon rather then trying to wait to come in with a group. We have so many types of people and characters, it's easy to fit right in!

Also, if you are really nervous about it or shy, you might try teaming up with an established player to introduce you around. They could have "met you on the way into town" or something similar. I'd offer, but I only play on Saturdays (usually) because I have a 14 month toddler to handle Out Of Game.
Aureck

Post by Aureck »

In Garden City I am between Merriman and Middle Belt, just north of Ford.

I'm sure I could figure things out if it's not just a bunch of small groups running around in the wilderness all the time...
About how large a group do you typically get during your events?

Here's another question...

Do I need to provide my own Phys Reps for weapons and the like? Or is my basic gear provided when I make my purchases? Like have you got a sort of armory there that lends out gear for the weekend?

Basically do I need to bring anything other than myself and anything for my costume (and of course the other essentials to survive a weekend away from home)?
Zen Zecharion
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Zen Zecharion »

we have limited supplies of loaner weapons and shields. very limited, but it shouldnt be a problem. i can bring some of my personal equipment for you to use if you want.
Aureck

Post by Aureck »

Cool.. I guess all that remains is for me to make a character and post any questions I have for doing that in here and then just show up. I'll get started on him tonight after the Wings game.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get started.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Yeah just to back up what everyone said here, everyone will be happy to help a new player, either before the game starts or during it.

Don't think if you don't remember a rule and ask a question during the game you'll get scowled at or anything. Focus on the roleplaying and being 'in character' and the rules we'll work with you until you have them down.

We've all been there. And yes your first event it WILL seem overwhelming and it WILL seem like everyone knows stuff you don't. Just be social, roleplay with as many people as possible and you'll get involved in some things. By your second or third event those 'things' will start making sense.

A great idea is to look for a group or organization in game to join or at least learn more about. Having a focus and a 'group' will make things easier, and of course you can change your mind later if that group or organization doesn't work out.

As Natalie said, IM works well for rules questions or you can post them here (Nat and I are both willing to help over IM) and if someone does live near Garden City I'm sure they'll speak up.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
dier_cire
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by dier_cire »

If you need any extra assistance, I live at Middlebelt and Grand River...

And yeah what everyone else said. Except that we're all friendly out of game. The Dougs are an a$$holes. :)
J/k I like one of them. :wink:
Eld - retired
Karn
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

The Dougs are an a$$holes
hey we out number you :twisted:

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
dier_cire

Post by dier_cire »

Minorities count as double. :P
Eld - retired
Karn
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris