Looking for info
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Natoe

Looking for info

Post by Natoe »

Hey I'm new to Larping. I watch a movie that had some in it. I enjoyed what I saw and would like to find out more about what goes on. I have been playing DnD and WoW for some time now, but they are getting old. I would like to try something new and see where it takes me. I live just north of Bay City MI. so if anyone can get some info to me about something close to me or where I can find out if there is one around me let me know.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Re: Looking for info

Post by halfelfman »

I'm in saginaw. This game takes place at Brighton National Park and is well worth the trip.

For games in the saginaw area it is very slim pickings. Most of the larps in the tri-cities dried up about 3 years back.

There might still be a Minds eye theatre group that gets together at Delta I can check into that if your interested.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Yep, I've never heard of any closer than Brighton but I'm not saying I know them all.

I know they exist in Traverse City, Kalamazoo, Dexter, and a couple of LARPs including ours in Brighton. I know there are more, but I don't know them all.

However, making a long drive for a LARP isn't that big a deal as it's for the whole weekend. If you have to drive 1-2 hours for 36 hours or so of fun, you won't notice the drive. I've gone cross state for LARPs many times and we have some people who have flown in from out of state to play in our LARP.

If you want to try it, just read the basics of the rulebook and ask questions here, or see if you can meet someone from the LARP and they can help you understand how a LARP works and how to create a character.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

I just went searching for active larps.. Shesh it's a dead zone almost out there for the upper half of the state. Larps are still going along the southern areas but it seems that you are almost right Brighton is the second closest to the Tri-cities . There are games in Grand Rapids, Detroit, Southfield, Cedar Lake, Port Huron, Lansing and Milan. For K-zoo I am having problems locating anything. I know the Traverse City and u-per Larps went silent about 4-5 years back. If a larp board has no activity for 2 years I consider it in-active.

Nearest Larp to you: http://www.caducus.com/index.php

I have no idea about that group but from thier message group age I would guess they have just started a few years ago.

I also HIGHLY recommend going to the Brighton game first due to there are several boffer larps out there that are created by un-friendly people that can and may cause you to not want to ever go to another larp again in your life.

Just because I didn't list it also does not mean there isn't a larp group out there. It just means that they do not have an active e-group.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.