Traper charector, and what's with wood elves
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Phillipe

Traper charector, and what's with wood elves

Post by Phillipe »

First i have a charector concept that i like to play when trying out new larps, i have never found a fantacy larp setting that he dosen't fit in, and need help figuring out how to make him with the starting points.

the charector is a trapper, as in a woodsman that lives of the land and may sell skins when he meets up with civilised folks.
as a woodsman he has the tools of his trade, rope, a knife, a machete(short sword) and a hand ax (no true woodsman goes anywhere without a good knife and a hatchet) and a bow. I picture him waring light armor, leathers and padding and being able to fight two stick with his ax and machete.
As a trapper he needs to be able to set snares, track, live alone in the woods and use his tools (hatchet, machete, knife) and needs to be able to keep himself healthy and warm (padded armor and leathers do both quite well) and if possible can tend o his own basic injuries.
I was going to play him as a bit uncomfortable around other people, soft spoken but blunt when he dose speak. I understand the slightly antisocial nature of the character will make interacting with the other players harder, but it will also let me ease into the setting by listening and staying out of the way.
I was thinking about takeing flaws that point to why he lives the life he does, phobia crouds or enclosed places(parents may have been crushed in a landslide creating clostraphobia, or killed by troops so a fear of large groups) poor (after all he has only that which he can carry), and so on.

any help on how to get this rolling?

oh and as to wood elves i know that this is probably a game balance thing but wood elves even though they live in nature are denied access to the tools thous who live in and with nature use hatchets, machete, spear and bow, as well as traps, search, ect. it just struck me as odd that the weapons that are so intrinsic to wood elves in other settings, and that most period people living of the land would have are denied.
just a thought.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Well as for your character it would certainly work as a concept we have trap rules as well as everything else you might need, and roleplaying is of course up to you. It sounds like a human would work best for you, but roleplaying allows many options.

As for wood elves, wood elves in CARPS are defenders of nature and the most purely good race that exists. They would never cut trees unless it was to help the rest of the forest in some way. Many have magics that allow them to shape wood to their needs and any weapons they had would most likely be shaped from it or from dead fall (staves and clubs) but rarely things that would cut.

Since they are a fairly magical race they get by without chopping down trees.

You can of course use racial skill naturals to give you (as a wood elf) access to any of these weapons or trap skills if you feel you want to be a wood elf that is a bit different than the norm as he's lived outside the wood elven lands for some reason (trap building would be a perfectly reasonable skill for you to learn in that case).
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

Also, I believe that you can set traps with wilderness lore, can't you?
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Solari Son of the Mother
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

Yeah what Darthesis said. If you wanted to do a "woodsie" trapper, woodsman race you might want to look into Ga'Vin. They don't get the accesses that you would need but like Darth said you can buy skill naturals.

I think you can set snares with wilderness lore, but nothing intricate or damage causing.
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

A few levels of Trade in order explain selling the skins wouldn't be too far off base either. It would give you the income you need to buy your basics.
Phillipe

Post by Phillipe »

Thats alot to think about,
Is it possible to get tags for animal hides (leather) so i could trade with the PC's rather then just getting cash for trade?
and is there a skill for leather working?
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Trade will give you cash, however you can hunt ingame if you wish and if you're successful, you'll get hide tags to trade with other PC's.

As for leaterworking, right now that is light armorsmithing but soon it'll be merged into the smithing skill which will be fire and earth based.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

Also as for 'flaws', I would suggest stearing clear of them, especially if you plan on growing out of them.

If you want to 'role-play' that your charcter has a phobia of people then go ahead and play it accordingly. The 5 points you might get just arent worth it when they counter your characters growth.
Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of CARPs or of the invisible men that follow him around.