Question about swords...
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

alleyb

Question about swords...

Post by alleyb »

I have never LARPed before, but have been looking into it recently. I'm very excited to start, but I had a question about the sword padding. The current rules state that the padding must be 5/8", and I was wondering if this meant like on all sides of the CPVC pipe, or just on the two sides. I guess I mean to ask: do the swords have to be round, or can they be flat, having the 5/8" on two sides rather than all around?

Thank you for your time.
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: Question about swords...

Post by Gekek »

alleyb wrote:I have never LARPed before, but have been looking into it recently. I'm very excited to start, but I had a question about the sword padding. The current rules state that the padding must be 5/8", and I was wondering if this meant like on all sides of the CPVC pipe, or just on the two sides. I guess I mean to ask: do the swords have to be round, or can they be flat, having the 5/8" on two sides rather than all around?

Thank you for your time.
The rules in the book are for making a basic boffer sword, for which the foam needs to be at least 5/8" on all sides. If you want to make flatter looking swords you would need to have more then 5/8" on the "edge" sides, because you need padding on all the sides for safety reasons. It is possible to make weapons with cores other than PVC but you should talk to one of the games current weapon marshals or foam smiths before doing so. Even in this case though there needs to be padding around the entire core.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
alleyb

Post by alleyb »

[quote="Gekek"][quote="alleyb"]I have never LARPed before, but have been looking into it recently. I'm very excited to start, but I had a question about the sword padding. The current rules state that the padding must be 5/8", and I was wondering if this meant like on all sides of the CPVC pipe, or just on the two sides. I guess I mean to ask: do the swords have to be round, or can they be flat, having the 5/8" on two sides rather than all around?

Thank you for your time.[/quote]

The rules in the book are for making a basic boffer sword, for which the foam needs to be at least 5/8" on all sides. If you want to make flatter looking swords you would need to have more then 5/8" on the "edge" sides, because you need padding on all the sides for safety reasons. It is possible to make weapons with cores other than PVC but you should talk to one of the games current weapon marshals or foam smiths before doing so. Even in this case though there needs to be padding around the entire core.[/quote]

How can I contact a weapons marshal? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any way to contact them on the website.
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

Your best bet would be to try and contact them on Facebook. My recommendation though as a foam smith is to talk to them at game so they have visual examples to use.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
AntonDi

Post by AntonDi »

Facebook is a good idea. Maybe they have a Facebook group or something. Or if you know the name of the person, you can simply try google and see if you can track their email or something.
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

We do have a Facebook group (general, not marshal specific): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1215149 ... =bookmarks
Kathryn Skress
Baronial Cavalier of House DeVris
OOG Management Team