Musical Instruments
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Aria

Musical Instruments

Post by Aria »

Hello! Brand new! Husband and I are both musicians and we were hoping to bring and play instruments. He's a violinist and I'm an oboe player/guitar. I'm trying to find out what kinds of instruments would be permitted to use in game. We haven't developed characters yet, but what race would be best for being able to play?
Is there a way to not actively participate and just observe? I'm doing a lot of reading here to learn, but are there meet-ups or people who can help us get started?
Can anybody share what their first experience was like?
By going to an event, are you committed to 24 hours of play? Are there set times to be out of play? Can I come and go as I please?
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: Musical Instruments

Post by Gekek »

Aria wrote:Hello! Brand new! Husband and I are both musicians and we were hoping to bring and play instruments. He's a violinist and I'm an oboe player/guitar. I'm trying to find out what kinds of instruments would be permitted to use in game. We haven't developed characters yet, but what race would be best for being able to play?
Is there a way to not actively participate and just observe? I'm doing a lot of reading here to learn, but are there meet-ups or people who can help us get started?
Can anybody share what their first experience was like?
By going to an event, are you committed to 24 hours of play? Are there set times to be out of play? Can I come and go as I please?
Hello and welcome to CARPS. Pretty much any instrument can be used at game. Ideally we don't want something very modern or electronic looking but nothing you mentioned would seem that out of place for us. Any race would work but if you wanted something that would be really good as a Bard character the better options would be Avyana, Dwarf, Efreet, Fire Elf, Guthrie, High Elf, Human, Sylvani and Valken'vi. With Guthrie, Sylvani, High Elf and Human being slightly better choices story wise.

We've had people just observe before without being involved but I think its better to jump in and observe in character. Meet ups outside of game are possible and can be arranged. We do have occasional gatherings of people outside of game. We also have several New Player Marshals that can help with answering questions or creating characters. They can be contacted here, over email or on our Facebook group. I happen to be one of them and would love to help you further.

For learning more about first experiences you might be better off hitting up our facebook group. Most of our player base hangs out there more then here these days. As for my first experience I started playing because I had a bunch of friends who were playing and one of them finally convinced me to try it once I found out the others had tried it too. I spent most of Friday night just sitting there watching other people and not saying much to the point that most of them forgot I was even there. The next day I actually got out and started trying to do stuff and had a lot of fun.

You are not committed to 24 hours of play. Many drop out and go to sleep early or head home. People step out for breaks, naps, or even to head back to reality for work or other obligations, you name it. A lot of players though get very little sleep. Once we start game on there aren't official break times, but you can step away from the game area if you need a break or head in to town if our meal plan doesn't suit you.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
Aria

Post by Aria »

Thank you so much for your answers! I just requested to join the CARP Facebook group and I've already been accepted! I'm going to keep reading and pondering but I really appreciate it.
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

You're welcome and like I said if you have any questions feel free to ask. As a new player marshal, its what I'm here for.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team