Questions: Location, Spells, and Non-Combatants
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

crystalbird

Questions: Location, Spells, and Non-Combatants

Post by crystalbird »

Hello! Few questions from a potential new player:

1. The event's location doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the website proper that I can find but I saw in the forums that it takes place at Camp Talahi. Is it always there, or does it move around throughout the year?

2. When making a new character, can any of the three basic items you start with be a spell that goes straight into your spellbook, or do you just get a scroll and have to use the Inscription skill to put it into your spellbook? Also, does the spellbook need a physical representation or is it basically just your character sheet?

3. Is it recommended that every character be combat-viable, or is there enough different stuff going on that someone playing a non-combat-focused character could still have a good time?

Thanks!
WAAAGH!
Member of the Mage's Guild

Re: Questions: Location, Spells, and Non-Combatants

Post by WAAAGH! »

1. As of now the events are always at Camp Talahi and don't move around throughout the year.

2. I believe if the scroll is one of your 3 starting items, it can start in your spellbook. I would need someone to verify this though as I'm not 100% on that one. You would need a spellbook phys rep that would need to be on your person for casting.

3. You don't have to do combat if you don't want to. You could make a character that's entirely free of combat skills and most likely be able to find things to do in the world of politics, crafting, healing, etc.
Kenric Sayne, former Magistrate of DeVris - Gone
Lenus Gaul, evocationist thunder elemental - On the Plane of Air
Temil Brightfoot, jewelry craftsman
Dietrich
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Dietrich »

2. Every mage and crafter does start with spells/recipes in their book without having to buy them just cause we're nice like that. Additional spells could probably happen though, maybe with a slight increase in cost.

3. We have a few non-combat characters and it seems to work out for them. Depends on what you want to do. We have healer soothsayers and bardic healers and things like that roaming around. Fun depends on what you wanna do.
Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby wrote:When I was a man I thought it ended
When I knew love's perfect ache
But my peace has always depended
On all the ashes in my wake

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash
crystalbird

Post by crystalbird »

My partner is potentially interested in playing too, but he has a disability that limits his ability to stand/walk for extended periods. Are there quests and such that don't require a whole lot of movement? Any tips for what sort of character might be best for him?
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by Gekek »

crystalbird wrote:Hello! Few questions from a potential new player:

1. The event's location doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the website proper that I can find but I saw in the forums that it takes place at Camp Talahi. Is it always there, or does it move around throughout the year?

2. When making a new character, can any of the three basic items you start with be a spell that goes straight into your spellbook, or do you just get a scroll and have to use the Inscription skill to put it into your spellbook? Also, does the spellbook need a physical representation or is it basically just your character sheet?

3. Is it recommended that every character be combat-viable, or is there enough different stuff going on that someone playing a non-combat-focused character could still have a good time?

Thanks!
2. Choosing a scroll means you have that scroll that you can use or get put into your spell book, it does not automatically start there. You do get to pick two spells per tier of magic skill you possess in a spell book. Yes that spell book must be represented by an actual book(s). You will receive copies for each spell in that book that must be taped or glued into it.

3. Not every character needs to be combat viable. Heck not every character that goes adventuring needs to be combat viable, just most of them. We have a number of people that go as ranged fighters or spellcasters. We also have those that go as support such as buff mages/bards/lore people or healers.

In addition for your newest question there are several people who stay behind fairly often. There are plenty of potential roles to fill back at the town such as; Town Guard (a chance to be combat capable but not have to go out much), healers, lore/scholarly types, crafters or some combination of one or more of these. The benefits of a stay in town character vs an adventurer will be different and may not seem as lucrative but its all in what you put into the game.

In addition if you or your partner need help making your characters we have several New Player Marshals that can help with that. Dietrich and myself being two of them, Edrial is another and I can't remember what the fourth goes by on the forums.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
WAAAGH!

Post by WAAAGH! »

Gekek wrote:
2. Choosing a scroll means you have that scroll that you can use or get put into your spell book, it does not automatically start there. You do get to pick two spells per tier of magic skill you possess in a spell book. Yes that spell book must be represented by an actual book(s). You will receive copies for each spell in that book that must be taped or glued into it.
My Valken'Vi got screwed on starting spells...
Kenric Sayne, former Magistrate of DeVris - Gone
Lenus Gaul, evocationist thunder elemental - On the Plane of Air
Temil Brightfoot, jewelry craftsman
Gekek

Post by Gekek »

Your Valken'Vi also got made when we were still figuring things out.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team