Thoughts on Bar Bar totem!
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Thoughts on Bar Bar totem!

Post by Packets »

Hello all! It is me! The new player a la raven totem barbarian from this last event. I had a bow and shot stuff...

Anyways. I was looking at the book trying to see where I wanna take this fantastic game and one of the skills seems fun from an rp perspective BUT doesn't fit my current totem.

Raven totem lets me get a spell under lvl 3. Fantastic. I chose pin. Love it. Great for an archer.

But a bird theme sort of bums me out. Not too big on birds really AND

I kinda wanna go into animalism. I wanna go kinda primal and animalish. Looks fun.

But for that I would want something with fur and teeth and claws... not a beak and feathers... and it only makes sense for your totem and PATRON animal from animalism to match right?

So my question: any ideas for animals I could use that fit the idea of a magic spell that isn't a bird? I am running a northern barbarian curently. I have a rewrite so I can make these changes just... need help brain storming. So far all my thoughts are birds or reptiles

Raven
Owl
Frog
Tortoise

Cat (maybe?)

Thoughts or ideas?
Nyiri - Desert Fox Bar Bar
AKA
Cubone - The Not a Necromancer
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Thoughts on Bar Bar totem!

Post by GM Evan »

So to make sure I understand, your looking for a non-bird animal that would also be a magic totem like Raven (so by default could not be one of those listed in the book already)?
Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Packets »

GM Evan wrote:So to make sure I understand, your looking for a non-bird animal that would also be a magic totem like Raven (so by default could not be one of those listed in the book already)?
Basically yes. I was even trying to think of animals that pin their prey since I have magic pin as my spell and rather like it.

But thus far Ian only think of birds really. Or just a cat (like a witches familiar). Odin is the Norse god of magic and he has his ravens but also wolf dogs... however the wolf is already a totem.
AKA
Dietrich
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Dietrich »

Switch to a Jungle Bar Bar and go Feathered Serpent.
Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby wrote:When I was a man I thought it ended
When I knew love's perfect ache
But my peace has always depended
On all the ashes in my wake

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash
Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Packets »

Dietrich wrote:Switch to a Jungle Bar Bar and go Feathered Serpent.
That's not a real animal though...
AKA
Dietrich

Post by Dietrich »

You do realize you play a fantasy game right and you're asking if you're animal power that makes someones foot stick to the ground can be from a different animal and you choose to debate whether or not the suggestion is a REAL animal?!?

Yep, I give.

But always keep them on a leash
Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Packets »

Dietrich wrote:You do realize you play a fantasy game right and you're asking if you're animal power that makes someones foot stick to the ground can be from a different animal and you choose to debate whether or not the suggestion is a REAL animal?!?

Yep, I give.
I was just under the assumption that the totem needed to be a realistic basic animal. That I couldn't do a gryphon or feathered snake or anything of that nature.

No need to be condescending.

Asking for clarification there as well then.
AKA
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Clonk »

Feathered Serpent would be a bad ass totem. spirit.
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway
Volcor
Greenie
Greenie

Post by Volcor »

I can promise you that Dietrich means no harm. He's simply a sarcastic person in general, and I think he was trying to encourage you to try new things!

The only thing I suggest is that you work closely with Evan on this one though... The tribes are based on their animal totem, and there are more tribes in the world than what you see in the book. ;)

On another note, I'd ask Raven if it was okay to be Animal Ken with another kind of animal. The answer might end up surprising you.
Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Packets »

Volcor wrote:I can promise you that Dietrich means no harm. He's simply a sarcastic person in general, and I think he was trying to encourage you to try new things!

The only thing I suggest is that you work closely with Evan on this one though... The tribes are based on their animal totem, and there are more tribes in the world than what you see in the book. ;)

On another note, I'd ask Raven if it was okay to be Animal Ken with another kind of animal. The answer might end up surprising you.
Gotcha XD hard to hear sarcasm in text lol

To me it just doesn't make sense to have two different animals. Seems silly. My totem is a Raven but I like X animal better. If your totem is truly your totem that your bond with it would be pretty deep right?

At least that is my thinking.
AKA
Volcor
Greenie
Greenie

Post by Volcor »

This is true, but the meaning is present in other forms.

Think of how Raven might be curious of other forms? Perhaps the knowledge gained as a bear could help Raven? Honoring Raven doesn't necessarily mean you need to be a fanatic of Ravens. It mean you discover new (and olde) secrets to pass to your brethren. That could take many many forms.

Just a few thoughts, though. In the end it's really about you having a good time. If it doesn't feel right, you probably won't have fun lol
midwinterdreams

Post by midwinterdreams »

What about something like Spider that was able to pin.
Raedir Haedren aka "Treeman"
- Healer/Mage/Ga'Vin
Bassi
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Bassi »

Do not mind us old guys, we are not as bad as this forum makes us out to be. Dietrich an I are natural sarcastic in nature, but if you take that with as a grand of sand. You will see that we are trying to get you to think outside the box and push yourself forward.

Now as for a totem lets look at things.
Feathered Serpent is a nice way to go if you want to go jungle tribes.
you could go for a spider theme which would be kind of cool as Midwinterdreams stated.
what about a scorpion styled totem they can pin and are known to be walkers of the dream, and night in Southern Native America lore.
or a anaconda snake totem they are constrictors which is a pin like effect an known to be a keeper of the water gates in South American tribal lore. Which breaks down into them being the gatekeepers toward magic.

You just have to look there are all kinds of ways to flip an animal into a totem that would fit your idea. if you need more ideas of totem just I am always will to help out.
Bassi Forni of the Helm-Splitter Clan
Packets
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by Packets »

Hmmm those are some good ideas!

Maybe not spider though. My own phobia won't allow it lol

The snake/anaconda/feathered serpent idea IS interesting. *Researches it*
AKA
Dietrich

Post by Dietrich »

Lo siento packets, I forget new people don't know that when I am communicating I'm sarcastic/snarky.

I'm personally of the opinion, when it comes to CARPS and the question "Can I do this?" ask for whatever you want. The worst answer is no, the usual one is FOIG (Find Out In Game) and the rest fall somewhere in between.

As far as totems go, the ones in the book are supposed to be a guideline and some of those would be hard pressed to find in a jungle or a desert so I am sure the names change.

Mystical real animals that cast spells not just Pin specifically.
Scarab
Snakes
Bats
Jaguars
Depends on the culture after all.