Avyana Questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Ded

Avyana Questions

Post by Ded »

I'm guessing this is where you'd post question, as well as I haven't actually gone to an event yet.. But, I was wondering a couple things.
1) Are wigs allowed other then for dwarves? I read the rules and it didn't say anything about allowing, or not allowing wigs for the other races. Reason being I have short hair, but my character is going to have long, and a different color...
2) The character I've made is an Avyana, but my character isn't really a battle type, more passive but clever (some battle is okay, but not a lot). Are there roles or things I could still do with the character without requiring too much battle? Or, should I perhaps change the race?
3) Is it a personal choice in whether the Avyana have an X on their head or not? Also are there any other suggestions for how an Avyana should look?

Just a warning, I do tend to change my mind a lot. Perhaps after attending an event I will be able to decide on the characters profession, but for now its undecided.
Ded: "Stare into my bottomless eyes and tell me. Is this the truth? [...] Let's be honest I would never say that I'm such a milk drinker." XD
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Avyana Questions

Post by GM Evan »

1) You are welcome to wear a wig if you like. It is not required for Avyana, but is it not prohibited either.

2) We have plenty of non-combat type characters at our game and I have always felt that they still enjoyed the game and felt that they had things to do and ways to participate in the game. If any of them would like to chime in they are welcome to offer their opinion, I am simply offering what I think is the general consensus from the group of players with less combat oriented characters.

3) Short answer - It is personal choice if an Avyana has the X branded on their forehead or not.

Long answer - It was a practice that stopped happening roughly a decade ago when King Roderick was overthrown. It is possible that a character could have been raised by Avyana outside the homeland and thus never got branded, or that he lived in the homeland up until the time when they stopped branding people and then left, or he could have been captured by Rodericks men for doing something that went against Rodericks beliefs (which could be pretty much anything since he was an evil tyranical king) and gotten branded and exiled from the homeland. Lots of options are available for a backstory that may or may not involve having the X branded on your forehead.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

GM Evan
Ded

Post by Ded »

I do have one more. Under the races post I clicked Avyana and read, it did say they were not directly derived from birds. Would I still be allowed to make a character based off a type of bird? (I was thinking perhaps a barn owl?)
Ded: "Stare into my bottomless eyes and tell me. Is this the truth? [...] Let's be honest I would never say that I'm such a milk drinker." XD
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Clonk »

Oooh, lots of non-combat options while still being part of a group. Expert trap finder, searcher (find shinies!!), trap maker... someone good at getting in and out of places (lock picking, pass wall, portals). You could be a gem crafter, a travelling alchemist (poisons, unless you buy earth access)... the possibilities are as limited as putting the skills together into a person.
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Clonk »

Though I'd say as a crafty, non-combat Avyana something like a "utility rogue" would be perfect. All our rogues are the stabbing assassin type. There is definitely a need for good trap finders with a keen eye.
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway
Ded

Post by Ded »

Thanks Clonk! ^^ My character would probably fit most with utility rogue. I'll definitely consider!
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

While avyana are not directly descended from birds they have birdlike features and are often classified by the type of bird they resemble, so a barn owl would be fine. Just watch out for the Vulture Avyana, they are not so nice. :)

-GM Evan
Ded

Post by Ded »

Okay, thanks for clarification! :mrgreen:
CNC
Pinky
Pinky

Post by CNC »

As a crafts-gnome first and Archer second there are plenty of fun things to do besides combat so long as you're willing to be social. Carps really isn't the kind of game where you go and solo some quest, there's room for all kinds in plots even if you're just an herbalist tagging along to loot the critters after the fighting is done. Traps are pretty nasty by the way, if you want to handle them expect it to take some time before you effectively can. One tradition is the "mass battle" where pretty much everyone goes on a big quest that wraps up the weekends theme. With all the buffs handed out even 100 point characters can join without worrying about getting one shot (though expect to have to run to the healers on the back lines if you do get hit by a big swing). So no worries if you're not a fighty-blasty-tanky type, there's still tons of fun to be had.
"My names Siencee! think 'Look and look again' see-'n-see, thats me! Oh! Would you like some candy?"