about creating a character
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Nemesis08

about creating a character

Post by Nemesis08 »

me and my friend are looking to go out on march 28th and just watch to see what all the action is about but were also trying to figure out how to creatE a charcter we are both kind of lost. so HELP!
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

You can ask any questions that you have here, or you can contact me on IM via the buttons at the bottom of my post here.

I'd start by reaching the character archetypes to get an idea of the variety of types of characters you can play in our rulebook, but myself or many others will help you with any questions you have. Just ask here or on IM!

Any LARP is intimidating at first, but we're here and look forward to meeting you.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Nemesis08

Post by Nemesis08 »

i know i want to be a dark elf so do i look at war like skills and apply them to my character? do i jot them down on a piece of paper or is there a form to be filled out?
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

We have a form for the character sheet on the main page:

Go to the main CARPS page and click on "Forms and Tags"

Or just click

http://www.carpsgame.com/printable_forms_and_tags.html

Past that read through the character creation section of the rulebook and contact us here with questions or on instant messenger to get your questions answered.

I will let you know that dark elves in our campaign are as evil as they should be, and that means that as a race, they are fairly well hated. We have allowed dark elven characters in the past but this would have to be discussed with the GM staff and fully understood that there are PC's and NPC's that may kill first and ask questions later. The dark elves are evil by nature and exceptions are quite rare.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Nemesis08

Post by Nemesis08 »

what about doing something different. like a demon?
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

Darthesis wrote:We have a form for the character sheet on the main page:

Go to the main CARPS page and click on "Forms and Tags"

Or just click

http://www.carpsgame.com/printable_forms_and_tags.html

Past that read through the character creation section of the rulebook and contact us here with questions or on instant messenger to get your questions answered.

I will let you know that dark elves in our campaign are as evil as they should be, and that means that as a race, they are fairly well hated. We have allowed dark elven characters in the past but this would have to be discussed with the GM staff and fully understood that there are PC's and NPC's that may kill first and ask questions later. The dark elves are evil by nature and exceptions are quite rare.
I know two PC's in game who would kill a dark elf on sight, and the only question they would ask later is, "Why didn't anyone kill it before I got here?"

Demons do not technically exist in CARPS because the game shies away from any religious references.

The closest things we have to demons are Dark Fae and Underlings. There have been PC's who have played both, and there are rules for playing both. Neither will have any real power advantage over the regular races... they'd just be different. Both would likely be killed or shunned should the players or NPC's discover what they are.

However such creatures may be limited to experienced players.
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

The book lists a good set of character races that anyone can play. If you wish to play something different than that list we generally ask that you play a one of the races in the rulebook for a while first to get a hang of our game.

We have roleplaying notes for all the races in the rulebook. You'd have no background on how we'd like other races run and how they fit into our world.

Our world has real repercussions for being overtly evil. If you take up the power of necromancy or walk in as an undead / demon / whatever obvious evil race there is, not only would you be destroyed by the PC's and NPC's around... if they didn't... they'd be in serious trouble for NOT doing it.

That's not to say that there isn't evil in the world and even evil PC's... but they exist in a generally 'good' Kingdom so they need to be a bit sneakier and clever about handling their evil impulses and hiding their designs.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Kimberlyn Darksbane
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

As Ken stated I would strongly urge to not play a dark elf. I'm not saying you can't, but well as he stated there are two or more pc's that really don't care for them and will do the kill first and ask questions later.

Along those lines, if by demon you met some sort of necromancer, again I would strongly urge you to not go that route either. Thing is if you are discovered as a necromancer well umm....let's just say it's a ticking time bomb for there are a few pc's that would wipe said necromancer off the face of the earth.

It happens to be one of my character's primary things she does because necromancy is considered to be evil and all.
Nemesis08

Post by Nemesis08 »

ok so ive decided either human or wood elf. and either being a druid, shaman or a warrior
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Cool, you can have fun doing just about anything once you get the hang of the game, and if you want to turn evil, you can always do that later.... one you know how to hide it better. :twisted:

Any questions during character building just let us know here or I'm available on IM.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Solari Son of the Mother
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

YAY!!! WOOT WOOT!!! More Woodies!!! :P

Just as a clarafication, dark fae wouldn't be attack on sight like dark elves would. And there is a fey blooded merit that you can take and you can be light, dark or green fae blooded.
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle
Nemesis08

Post by Nemesis08 »

i decided on a shaman and i want to be a wood elf so does that mean i can only buy skills that have to do with water and earth and unable to buy those of air and fire?
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

true you would only have earth and water skills but.. you have them at major access.

If there is a skill or skills that you would like to learn that would be fire or air I would suggest taking a few skill naturals at creation this would allow you to have a skill taken from not being available to being available at minor access and then you can mentor to specialty unless you wanted to take 2 or 3 skill naturals towards a skill to lower it more.

p.s. don't forget you get 1 re-write and double pts untill you hit 500.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

As a wood elf you are the absolute best at earth and water skills and can buy them at major access (the cheapest possible cost).

You CAN buy fire and air skills but your race is not naturally suited for them so you'd need to be 'mentored' or you can buy the merit 'skill natural' to be extra good at one particular skill. Say you are a wood elf that has a natural affinity to dodging things (an air skill).

However as a starting wood elf I'd just stick with water and earth skills and as halfelfman above said, you can rewrite anything you don't like about your character after your first event after you've seen how you fit into the game, so don't worry so much about individual skills.

The first event at a LARP is about roleplaying, meeting people, developing friendships, joining groups, and finally understanding the basics of combat. Character development will follow after that.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Nemesis08

Post by Nemesis08 »

ok so im def going to go for the may event. march 28th would me and my friends b able to play a little bit or something like that? we wouldnt be able to really dress the part or anything so idk