possible new player
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Soulcatcher

possible new player

Post by Soulcatcher »

Hello, keeping this short as I do not know if this will post yet. I have been playing DnD since about 1980 and have been thinking about larping after attending my first renaissance festival this year. I will write a better intro later, if this actually posts.

Thanks.
Clonk
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Re: possible new player

Post by Clonk »

CARPS got me hooked on LARPing, and we've got a strong community. Definitely worth coming to check out!
Clonk
Town Guard
Black Hand Tribe
Second of Charities & Healers Guild in Midway
Soulcatcher

Post by Soulcatcher »

Well, since my approval came after the weekend I did not want to disrupt this weekend without approval, so maybe next time.

As I have stated, I've played DnD since about 1980 and still continue today. I mostly like to roleplay instead of hack and slash so I think I would be able to handle the RP aspect of larp. I will say though, that this group seems pretty intense so I would like to observe a bit first to see if this type of play is for me. It seems pretty interesting so I want to give it a shot. Right now I do not have a costume but the wife and I are making them for the renaissance festival for next year. I am pretty sure she has no interest in larp though as she does not even play an rpg. I see that the season is winding down, so I should have something done by the start of next year. I've skimmed the rules but I still need to read them fully. Everything seems pretty straight forward. I do have a question though, and that is about swords. Can you use the larp swords that look somewhat real, or do they need to be the cpvc/insulation type? I know safety is a concern and I have no idea about how safe the "realistic" purchased ones are. I plan on making everything but I was going to use cpvc, foam and latex but I was going to shape it more like a blade and not just leave it round.

Thanks
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

Please don't take the various flame wars on the forums as indicative of our behavior in-game.
We are all passionate about the game, and sometimes get over-excited at the keyboard.
Your first event is free, and costuming is not required (and some available on loan) for your first three events.
October is a good event to start on, as it is Chili-Fest AND Blood Moon, so the staff usually goes above and beyond.

As to the realistic weapons, they are at the discretion of our weapon safety marshals. Many of our players do use latex weapons. From what I have seen the majority latex weapons that are marketed as 'LARP-safe' will pass our inspections, but not all. I would recommend taking a look at what we have in-game and/or chatting with one of the weapons marshals before spending any significant money on a weapon.
midwinterdreams
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by midwinterdreams »

A couple of things to note. I have been playing for the last almost 2 years and I have blocked and defending myself, but only fought like twice. If you want you can hold to the RP side there is a lot of it and there are some plots that don't involve combat or have both. The most fun (imo) is going and just getting away from life for a weekend, you get the whole weekend to be an elf swordman, or a human bard, or what not. You don't say what your doing, you do it.

We don't bite, unless asked to and we love to get new people. Right now is a great time to join, the rule system is relatively new, so new and old players are kind of on the same page. Also there are a good number of new people so it would be easy to find others around your skill or power to adventure with.

There are plots for low levels, high levels, and a mix of both so don't worry come have fun, with or without a costume. Often we can help with temp or loaner garb.

And Welcome to CARPS :)
Raedir Haedren aka "Treeman"
- Healer/Mage/Ga'Vin
Soulcatcher

Post by Soulcatcher »

When I was talking about being intense, I was talking about being in character through the entire weekend including night time. That is some seriois devotion to RP :D Flame wars are going to happen and dont usually bother me, everyone has different ideas, view points etc etc. It's how you treat others in that flame war that counts. Tempers will flare, words will be said but if in the end apologies are heartedly given and no lines have been crossed, then everyone just move on.

I plan on making most if not all my gear so I will need to speak with the safety marshals and work with them when I get to that point.