Buying Skills
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Brave Tailor

Buying Skills

Post by Brave Tailor »

I feel really stupid, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how buying levels in skills works. I understand that you use character points, but outside of "one offs" and the merit/boon system, I cant seem to find costs for any of the other "buy-able" skills. It's probably right there in the book, but it would I'm just not finding anything. Help?
X-GM Brian
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: Buying Skills

Post by X-GM Brian »

No problem. Basically each skills resides in 1 of the 4 elements. Then it is further broken down into the difficulty of the skill, which are Easy, Hard, and Difficult. On page 112 I believe it is there is a cost chart for each level at each difficulty with each access. Major Access being the cheapest, and Minor being the most expensive.

For example, a Gnome learning Dagger which is a Major Easy skill for him pays 3 points for first level, 5 points for second, and third level is 7 points. Now if I was a Human buying dagger in water it would be at best specialty access which has it's own costs on that same page.

Did that answer good enough for ya? If not just let me know. I sometimes suck at explaining things but I'll keep trying =)
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

In my version, it's on pg. 113, but here's the chart just in case!
Skills.jpg
Skills.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 19052 times
Kathryn Skress
Baronial Cavalier of House DeVris
OOG Management Team
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

There's also a version of the character sheet around here somewhere (on the forums) that does a lot of the math for you. That's what I use.

And since I'm nice once in a while, I saved you the trouble of having to find the topic. It's here.
Brave Tailor

Post by Brave Tailor »

Thanks! That was really helpful. Who says the internet has no nice people?
dier_cire
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by dier_cire »

Also, remember those costs are "per level" costs. So as in Brian's example of dagger, the total cost for level 2 dagger is 8pts (3 for first and 5 for second), and 15pts for level 3 (3 + 5 + 7). There's been cases where that gets a little confused.
Eld - retired
Karn