Looking to get back into LARPing
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Doom

Re: Looking to get back into LARPing

Post by Doom »

Ok, this sounds all good. I wouldn't be one trying to hide from a fight anyway. I just wanted to know because in my other LARP everything was run like a one shot D&D game, 4-6 hours long so you could change characters between every game. When it finally broke up I was running 4 characters, but yeah, only one of them was my "main".

Can you all explain a few more mechanics issues, specifically damage. You all have a lot of different types so I want to make sure I have good grasp of it:
- Vorpal ignores all armor but it still has to hit your body, right? So if I parry an arrow it doesn't do damage right?
- With Crush damage, it counts if its hits anything you are holding, but is it considered poor sportsmanship to purposefully aim for the tip of a weapon or end of a shield? Or just superior tactics?
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

Doom wrote:Ok, this sounds all good. I wouldn't be one trying to hide from a fight anyway. I just wanted to know because in my other LARP everything was run like a one shot D&D game, 4-6 hours long so you could change characters between every game. When it finally broke up I was running 4 characters, but yeah, only one of them was my "main".

Can you all explain a few more mechanics issues, specifically damage. You all have a lot of different types so I want to make sure I have good grasp of it:
- Vorpal ignores all armor but it still has to hit your body, right? So if I parry an arrow it doesn't do damage right?
- With Crush damage, it counts if its hits anything you are holding, but is it considered poor sportsmanship to purposefully aim for the tip of a weapon or end of a shield? Or just superior tactics?
If you can manage to parry a packet arrow, you do not take damage.
Crush causes a lot of confusion. I think the official answer right now is that the Swing would have had to clip some portion of your target, if the object that got in the way hadn't been there. i.e. swinging down on the top of a shield or horizontal weapon does damage, but a horizontal swing that only clips the end of a vertical weapon a foot and a half in front of the target does not.
The concept being that the force of the blow presses (crushes) through the obstacle, but if that force still wouldn't get to you, it still wouldn't hurt you.
SPELL SURGE on the other hand, is the magic being smart, and traveling along any available path, so clipping the tip of a sword, or flap of cloak DOES mean you take the spell effect.
Nel
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Nel »

Hawke wrote:My understanding was that points were assigned to a player, and I could assign them to my characters any way I want, even if I didn't play the character this moon. The restrictions about changing characters is about not abusing in-game mechanics, not leveling up an alt a little, so you don't have to walk in as a 100 point character.

I think there might be caveats about playing the character once per fame tier, so we don't have completely unknown Legendary famous heroes running around, but when you're talking about 20-50 points an event, it takes multiple events for that to be a concern.
You are correct sir, points are assigned to the player, and not which pc one played at an event. The restrictions come as a way for people to not abuse skills, ie: 'op, all out of skills on the pc, time to switch to another!' durring a re-pop

I haven't heard about the fame tier thing before, but I guess I can see that being a concern over months, rather than over an event or two
X-GM Brian
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by X-GM Brian »

Basically the rule for crush is, you have to be swinging for the person. If I'm swinging for your torso and you dodge back but leave your weapon out and it gets hit you take the damage. If your sword is off to the side and I swing for the sword, you don't take the damage.
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Doom

Post by Doom »

Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for all of the input.

I did run into some bad news this week though - turns out my family is coming up from Kentucky for the weekend of this month's event so I won't be able to make it. On the bright side, this will give me longer to finish up a character history and get properly equipped.

Did the one day November event get finalized yet?
Nel
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Nel »

I just asked about the one day, which according to Todd, our GM, might end up being a full event. We won't know until November 1st what's going to happen with that. From the sounds of things, it'll be in Brighton.
Doom

Post by Doom »

I also found out my wife was pregnant back in the fall too. That sort of reshuffled things. I'm still hoping to come out and join you all for the coming season.