new player help
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Shighguard1
Pinky
Pinky

new player help

Post by Shighguard1 »

So I have a friend coming to the April event and he wants to play a wizard either human or elf and I would like some help understanding the magic system so I can help him build his character
Gorek
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: new player help

Post by GM Evan »

Simple Break down.

Buy the following skills:
Read/Write
Read Magic
Wield Magic
Magic Sensitive (5pt Merit)

He will then want to buy at least a couple 1st tier spell slots, and probably a 2nd tier (they build in pyramid formation. So 2 1st before you can buy a 2nd, 2 2nd's before you can buy a 3rd).

After that spell power gives you more spell points (lets you cast more spells). Spell Intensity lets your spells do more damage. I normally advise new mages to buy power over intensity UNLESS they are playing an evocation style mage. Then you want to balance the 2 out.

Other suggestions:
Buy level 1 in a weapon skill. You will probably run out of spell points, having a weapon to fall back on is important even if you just have level 1.
Level 1 sense magic is useful if you can spare the few points for it.
Dont worry about getting 3rd tier spells till later.
Look over the incants for casting spells and make sure you understand them. This is vital for combat mages, less vital for out of combat casters (diviners, shield mages, etc)
Once you get into game. Find a mage, ask them for help IN-GAME. Some characters are assholes (Dietrich!), other characters are Philanthropists, but most are generally nice people who will answer questions but may not give you all the "nifty tricks", but if you can find a mage who does the type of stuff you want to do...watch them and see what they do...then ask how later and maybe they will reveal a few secrets if you play it right. :)

If you have any other questions let me know.

-E
NPC Kees
Greenie
Greenie

Post by NPC Kees »

I am not an ass.... oh wait, yes I am, sorry, I forgot.

More seriously, either Evan or I can help write up a mage. I think I even have a unspecified human template sitting around somewhere for just these occasions. I'll bring it to the event just as a jumping off point.
Making sure ALL the voices in my head can come out and play
NPC Kees
Greenie
Greenie

Post by NPC Kees »

Or I'll be neck deep studying for finals that weekend and wont be at the event at all and will refer all questions and complaints to Evan.
Making sure ALL the voices in my head can come out and play
Gunnar Haymish
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Gunnar Haymish »

You have two new player marshals plus a slew of other players who can help. So if you need help talk to David who plays Jewels or Nick who plays Kenrick. Also if you need any help I am willing to help if you need. Both David and Nick have or play mages as well.
Member of the House Jakoric
Member of the Argent of the Falcon Mercenary Guild of Midway
WolfgangThePirate

Post by WolfgangThePirate »

Hi Guys im im new and i no nothing of how the character creation works in larp.
is it the same as a table top game er'nno?
Braig

Post by Braig »

Second post so I don't get deleted
Braig Berserker of Black Hand
Member of Town Guard
Adventurer of Midway

Myxlpiliwik Orlais Struss
Master Of Fire