OK, here I go...
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Dirtydwarf

OK, here I go...

Post by Dirtydwarf »

Intro first I guess....

Always been into rpg. I played D&D since I was 11. I have also played GURPS, Palladium system. Marvel RPG and a few homemade ones as well. Recently been addicted to City of heroes on the 'puter. Never played a LARP type game in a large group but my buddies and me have made up our own ad hoc games when we were younger. I must admit I am intrigued by the idea of them though. A few questions though:

I don't Know if I would want to be a PC right off. I would be more than willing to give NPC a try though. At least till I see if it is for me or not. Any problem with that? Actually I would be willing to help out at camp in other fashions also if needed just to get a look at how this game plays out.

For these weekend get togethers, you keep the volunteers pretty busy?? Cause I hate downtime.

I am also 40 years old so would I be the old codger of the group?? hehe....you young whippersnappers.....

I think that may be it..... well, City of heroes time....later all ;)
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

Age ranges vary from late teens to mid to late 30's, so if you are 40 you may be in the upper end of our age range, but not out of place.

It is normally suggested that you play a few games before NPCing just because the rules can be pretty complex starting off.

Now to be a total contradiction of myself. If you want to NPC I am sure the GM's could use the help and can find ways to keep you occupied even with limited knowledge of the system (provided you are willing to do role-playing encounters, play merchants, and possibly do some combat as some of the simpler creatures until you get your feet wet. The basics are pretty simple, just dont expect to be NPCing a lich/dragon/major demon your first couple times NPCing. Normally they start newer players off with humanoids and animals so they dont feel overwhelmed).

We look forward to seeing you at this coming weekends game!

Evan
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

We have had people play as old as their 60's, and our average is probably early 30's. I myself am a grand old 38, so no worries there.

I agree with GM Doug there, we like people to PC first because they won't have enough familiarity with the rule system to handle some of the NPC jobs, but if you'd feel more comfortable with that... we can hand you just simple jobs or even manual labor as you learn the system and help out and see if it's 'for you'.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Get off my lawn!

Oh wait, sorry. Hehe!

Anyway, as both Evan and Doug said, there is definitely a wide range of ages at CARPS. We've had wet-behind-the-ears highschoolers and grizzled (sorry Jim!) librarians. We have plenty of people with families and plenty without. So there is a lot of variety here! I myself only play a partial event currently because we just had a baby 5 months ago. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

Just a little input here if I may...

When I first came to CARPs I planned on doing the same thing, kinda getting my toes wet by NPCing and feeling it out. Now at the time there was an unflexable 'You must PC 3 times before NPCing' rule, so I was forced to PC.
I was hooked.
I think there is a level of submersion that you just never get if you see whats behind the curtain.

That being said I whole heartedly think that EVERY new player should PC before NPCing. Not because of the rules, but because of the intense feel you get the first time you play.

Just my .02cents

Your Samoan GM
Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of CARPs or of the invisible men that follow him around.
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Sylas Hay wrote:That being said I whole heartedly think that EVERY new player should PC before NPCing. Not because of the rules, but because of the intense feel you get the first time you play.
At the risk of sounding like one of those "I'm just here because my boyfriend plays" kinda gals, I wholeheartedly agree. When I first met SoCo, he, ModemGnome and Jeremiah just wouldn't shut up about this game that they played called CARPS. (Un)fortunately for me, I met them just after the last game of the season which meant I had to listen to them natter on about this game for a WHOLE off-season. 2 months! I finally came to play to shut them up about it.

And I'm still here, 11 years later. There is nothing like your first PC session to draw you into this game. Nothing!
Solari Son of the Mother
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

I would concur with the sentiments that you should PC first. I had been table topping since the 70's when I first started LARPing and I can say it's nothing at all like table topping when you're on the PC side, from the NPC side it's a little more like table topping because as Todd said you just never really get immersed into the "story". You may immerse yourself in scenes but it's never quite the same as what you experience PCing. I think that starting off NPCing would be kinda like doing a tandem skydive jump from the back of an instructor with goggles that don't let you see the ground rushing up at you. It'll feel mostly the same, but the thing that REALLY makes it what it is you won't get to experience.
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle