Introducing myself
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Thoms

Introducing myself

Post by Thoms »

Greetings to you all!

I am yet another of the players left stranded when our LARP bit the dust, and would very much enjoy playing with your group after so long. Fortunately, there will be no issue with my age, as I am 18, as is my girlfriend, who also would like to play here. Unfortunately we are unable to attend this weekend's event, but are very much looking forward to your next event.

I plan to play an archer character and I am trying to craft my own bow and fletch my own arrows to use to that end. I don't suppose anyone has any experience or suggestions in that area?

-Jacob L.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

From someone who has attempted that area... good luck and have fun with it.

my luck was 1st bow broke while i strung it, second made it 3 shots before snaping, the third is still a log.

I purchase my bows now. especially since kids bows are about 10-20$ for a 20-25# pull bow. I last purchased my arrows from a boy scout sale out of the 36 cedar arrows 19 are still in 1 piece. so be prepared for arrows breaking if thier made of wood.

tip 1:wooden arrows you will want to cover in tape to prevent splintering/breaking.

tip2: the arrow steps in the book make an arrows that will fly about 25' if your lucky in a downward angle. keep the foam abit bigger than a quarter and extend it out 2 1/2'' from the tip make it as round as you can. flat sides=floating arrows= less distance.

tip 3: use canadian pennys to cover the tip of the arrows as thiers are made out of tin and weigh less than a penny.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
WayneO42
Greenie
Greenie

Post by WayneO42 »

tip2: the arrow steps in the book make an arrows that will fly about 25' if your lucky in a downward angle. keep the foam abit bigger than a quarter and extend it out 2 1/2'' from the tip make it as round as you can. flat sides=floating arrows= less distance.
Make sure though that your arrow head is still BIGGER than an eye socket
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Yep, keys that I've seen.

1) Bow, wood can work if properly layered and treated, but is not worth the hassle. Buy a kiddie bow that has 15-25# draw and then paint it, replace the string, fancy it up as you will. Try wood if you wish, but good luck!

2) Arrows. Tough call on shaft. Aluminum will last through some abuse (and they'll get a lot) but they STILL will get stepped on, and in that case, cheapo wood arrows won't be as big a deal. BRING A BUNCH. As for head's WaynO has the key. For safety the head MUST not be able to touch an eye, so that means bigger than an eye socket itself. Of course you won't be aiming for heads, but there are deflections, and bad shots, and you get smacked in the back as you're firing, and them ducking low, and the dark... you get the picture. Take a sample arrow head, and hold the arrow in your hand and pound it repeatedly at your own eye. If it even touches your eyelid, it's no good.

The penny is good to be properly secured, then the foam as well.

They are still accurate in a good shot's hands, but they're also safe.

ALSO, do not skimp on fletchings, the bigger the better. The bigger ones will keep the fat head in front during flight and if we see arrows that turn in air (we've seen them), they're not gonna be used, as hitting hit with the back end is very bad.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

You have also been approved to post in our forum. And if you hit me up on IM I'll send you the primer to where the PC's are in the world right now. Otherwise, find one of your friends who already has a copy.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

oh almost forgot be warned the npc camp is known for firing your arrows at you to test them with your bow.

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Very true, and since I won't be there that means Matt is the only person likely to test your bow. So, for safety's sake... think of the children.

Your children.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Albertus Magnus
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Albertus Magnus »

(NPC camp also tries to miss the naughty bits. Still working on that one)

Because the foam tip arrows aren't easy to carry (at least not in a quiver), you might want to consider using spell packets and carrying a bow to indicate firing "arrows". Not exactly the best for roleplaying but, as I can attest to personally, a great deal of arrows get broke or lost in the dark, which is when you need replelnishment the most.