Gamer vet, new to LARPing
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Vadim

Gamer vet, new to LARPing

Post by Vadim »

I've been gaming for over 6 years, but never entered the fascinating world of LARPing. This summer, I would like to change that, and I've started constructing a character I believe I could act decently well. I have a few questions...

1. I can't make it to the June event. Are you guys doing anything in July or August, even if it's just hanging out somewhere? I'd like to meet the group..
2. About how many people attend each event?
3. Are half breeds acceptable under any circumstances, if it fits a character's storyline appropriately?
4. Are there any players who are musically inclined? It is in my characters nature to dance at every given opportunity. :D
5. I understand the event happens in the Brighton rec area... How often do you run into confused hikers during a scene?

Thank you!
"For I am the shameful and the magnificent one."
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

I can anwser some of it.

1. We'll having a summer get together that some of us will be at. It's in the boards. I can look it up and repost date.

2. Anywhere from 20 to 60 (most i can remember) But it varies event to event.

3. We've had halfbreeds before. You just need to check it with NPC staff and GM Fesko

4. We have two people i can think of. One plays the Harp and one sings.

5. Not too often. It's one of the things we like about brighton rec. Less run ins.

I'll go check on the summer get together.
Aroua/Rianna
Gone and Yet not gone
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

Aug 16th or 23rd not yet desided on location or weekend.
Gone and Yet not gone
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Gamer vet, new to LARPing

Post by Darthesis »

Welcome Vadim, let me try to answer your questions:

1. I can't make it to the June event. Are you guys doing anything in July or August, even if it's just hanging out somewhere? I'd like to meet the group..

Once I grant you access to the forums (once I finish this post) you can check under 'gatherings'. We'll likely be having a beach party somewhere over the summer break and there are other LARPs and gatherings that will be posted as well.

2. About how many people attend each event?

Right now we're on the upswing with 25-30, we hope to break 30 at the June event.

3. Are half breeds acceptable under any circumstances, if it fits a character's storyline appropriately?

In general once you've played a few times such exceptions are available, and if it's a reasonably simple half breed (half elf for example) we might be able to make it work. Just talk to the GM staff prior to the event and understand that there will be no advantages, just disadvantages in the way of politics and being an 'outsider'. Roleplaying would be the only reason to do so, but a valid one.

4. Are there any players who are musically inclined? It is in my characters nature to dance at every given opportunity. :D

We do have a couple. Depending on the month and the weather you might find a few singers of varying quality, one brilliant harpist, a couple good guitarists, one good drummer, and at least one strange banjo player. One never knows.

5. I understand the event happens in the Brighton rec area... How often do you run into confused hikers during a scene?

Since we rent out the entire frontier cabin area it's actually fairly rare, but it does happen a few times each event. When it happens it's normally a fairly quick 'non-event' as most mundanes/norms/muggles tend to turn and move in the opposite direction with quite some speed when they see us coming.

Thank you!

You're welcome.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

OMG, double sniped by the speedy fingered Rhianna!
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Rooks Reayvalynn »

you got served!
Rooks Bloodsinger Reayvalynn
Destined
Grand Magi
Lightbringer
Grand Sky Marshall
Mountain Slayer
Diplomat to Alleria
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai
Member of the Scribes guild
Councilman of the Mages guild
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

Well your answers were more detailed. :lol:
Gone and Yet not gone
celegar
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by celegar »

I AM NOT STRANGE, im ecentric.
Ziggy Sprickzlesprooock M.D. -Gnomegeneer Extraordinaire-
Lochlainn
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Lochlainn »

celegar wrote:I AM NOT STRANGE, im ecentric.
Eccentric is just a word that strange people use to describe themselves. :)
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

I always thought eccentric is what you call someone strange...

who has money.
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Vadim

Post by Vadim »

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, two more questions...

I was reading in the general topics forum about the barbarians needing another good woman... So, this got me thinking: are there any particular classes or races that there aren't too many people playing, and can use the assistance of another larper lady? And are tribal gypsy pirates overdone and cheesy? I have such an affinity for gypsy pirates... :P

And another- often when I'm gaming, I find the way my character acts is not as I originally intended. DMs have been good about letting me adjust my skills to reflect how the character is actually being played after the first time I use her in a game.. Is a "character edit" after your first event okay in this group?

Thanks again!
"For I am the shameful and the magnificent one."
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

yup. you get a full rewrite after first event. plus the points you earned from that event.
Gone and Yet not gone
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

You can roleplay however you want, we don't yell at people for not 'roleplaying right' yet we have lots of great roleplaying. As for any 'missing' groups... I'd say right now we don't have a single pirate, we do have one or two gypsies, and we only have one val'ken'vi' (read the rulebook for info on that race). However every player stands out more by their roleplaying than their race or skills.

As Rhianna stated above, you get a full rewrite if you want it after your first event, so try whatever you want and tweak what you don't like.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Rooks Reayvalynn »

Hey! there are currently three air pirates in game! Though... we hardly count as conventional pirates... aside from the barrel maybe.

sorry, ,as usual i am being completely useless, gonna go back to my corner now
Rooks Bloodsinger Reayvalynn
Destined
Grand Magi
Lightbringer
Grand Sky Marshall
Mountain Slayer
Diplomat to Alleria
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai
Member of the Scribes guild
Councilman of the Mages guild
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

For starters, you're not a "pirate"... you're a "Privateer"... or perhaps a "salvager" (and by this i mean "salvaging" vessels and luxury items from those who obviously don't deserve to hold on to them).

Piracy, is of course, illegal.

Walking around proclaiming yourself to be a pirate probably would not be a good thing.

It's all in how you word things.
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***