Npcing and char creation questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Npcing and char creation questions

Post by halfelfman »

hello,

I have a few question on things.

For character creation I noted there is fast track program where you start with 100 points instead of the 45. Is that still in effect since the post was from 9/07?

For NPCing I am interested in going out and I have discovered that it sometimes is beter to npc for a bit before creating a character. Is it allowed to go out to an event Npc for a few day or if I am having a blast npcing the whole event before creating a character?

Adventuring note # 121
Throwing a ball and saying go fetch boy does not work vs Werewolves.

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Well, the fast track program is still in effect correct.

We normally do ask that you PC for a couple of events to learn the rules before we NPC, but if you'd feel more comfortable NPC'ing for an event we can discuss that as well. We do have a few new players starting this event (5+ possibly) so it would be great to form a group ingame to work together with.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Ok then I'll make sure I have a character created using 100 pts just in case but, I feel the rules are fairly straight forward and I love how detailed the rules book is.

It helps with getting a feel for the game.

The only odd things I have seen so far is under the extra character points gained.

Taver set up and supply. I understand the set up part that contains the cleaning part. Supply?? can I have more information on this please.

Also CARPS hosting and hosting+food?

just curious on these areas since I couldn't find any examples or information on it in the rule book.

If I NPC for a few events are there any items besides armor, weapons, and garb that i should bring?

Adventuring note # 121

Player note # 47: Proving the staff wrong is hazardous to your health unless you are Soco. Cause Soco is always right.

Quote From a Grandmaster Healer known as House: Everyone Lies sometimes except House Mandalor members. Those bastards never tell the truth.

Combat tip #22: Wearing parachute pants and singing can't touch this while doing the MC Hammer every time you use Battle Dance is only funny the first few times.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Okay, first of all on the extra character point earning options. Trailer supply would be helping us supply the trailer with necessary phys reps, weapons, armor, garb, makeup, etc. All GM discretion, basically you help us out, you get some extra CP.

CARPS hosting is for NPC meetings and CARPS get togethers. If you provide a location for a meeting, you get points. If you feed the NPC staff, you get more. Pretty simple. :P

As for what to bring, you'll need phys reps for weapons, armor, and costuming for a character, and it'd help for NPC duty as well. Past that you will need warm clothing for going outdoors for the march event, although our small cabins are well heated. You will want changes of clothing (especially socks), you'll want bedding you can lay on a bunk with a mattress (so a sleeping bag or sheets and blankets. You'll also want to bring drinks and food for the weekend. There will be firepits, but it'll be difficult to use them in march. Also most people tend to head into town on Saturday afternoon during 'game break' to grab Saturday dinner, so you can bring food to eat with those who hang out or head into town with the rest of the crew.

Any other questions just ask here or on IM.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sylas Hay
The Thane
The Thane

Post by Sylas Hay »

In our 'INN' I usually set up and run the Bar. Its an In-Game Tavern, so drinks can be purchased in-game with in-game money. (although I dont really do a great job of 'salesmanship, and if it were real I would have gone under by now)

Currently the game has moved to a previously 'unknown' area, so we have no tavern area to readily work with. (though I will still bring things for people to drink, it just wont be an 'INN')

Some people volunteer to bring things, cookies, brownies, etc. These are sometimes just things for people to share, and other times to be 'sold' in-game.

Hope that explains somethings that might also not have been clear.
Most of the 'miscelanious' things you mentioned are by GM approval. Trailer Hauling, Storage etc.
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

Almost forgot about a few things also.

Common sence makes me thing it should be ok but I still ask just to make sure.

With spell packets:

I noticed that bird seed is used for spell packets. Is it all right to use corn feed instead since I have about 50+#'s of the stuff sitting around.

For weapon construction:

I have yet ot have a problem with this but might as well ask since I am new to this group.

With weapon construction the standard brown foam is used that is 5/8 wall. I use a grey/black foam with the same density rating with a 7/8 wall since it takes longer for it to break down.

Adventuring note # 121

Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Common sense is correct, yep.

No problem with any reasonably similar weight spell packet that cannot stick together with moisture and become a rock.

Thicker is always fine when it comes to weapons. Thinner, will need to be approved by our safety marshal (expect to get hit with your own weapon repeatedly so he can decide if it's safe).
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

The Grey/Black foam is generally NOT approved for use at CARPS. It tends to be harder and provide less cushion to soften the blow (end result, they hurt too much).

Stick with the brown or green foams if you want to ensure your weapon will be approved.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Ooh, yes I didn't read that correctly. I'm not a foam expert. By 7/8" wall it means 7/8" inside diameter, meaning that it's thinner. Yeah those can make some painful weapons. If you need to use black foam it's likely going to have to be double layered.

The normal test is that the safety marshal checks guards, pommel, and the tip for anything pointy that can touch the surface (if you can press down and feel the PVC or other pipe, it's gonna be a no go)... then they swing it at you a few times from at least 90 degree swing. If you scream, then it's a no go. Then they smack themselves and decide if it would hurt too much against our most 'sensitive' players. If it would... no go.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

no problem I'll bring a few weapons out to the march event.

Adventuring note # 121

halfelfman
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by halfelfman »

well I have a few more questions again. It seems the more i read over the rule book the more questions I have.

Under Rich merit it says you may purchase 1 additional arcane item per level purchased in this. Is it refering to the rare items available or???

under the merit Jack of all trades it states that your first level in one shot and general skills are 1 point less. I take it general skills are all but the ones with advanced am I understanding that correctly?

Adventuring note # 121

Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Rich merit. Yes you can talk to the GM about purchasing small arcane items to start with if you purchase the rich merit, nothing amazing because of our willpower system (you won't be able to use it if it's too powerful), but something.

Jack of All Trades, you are correct, it affects basic (no pre-req required) one shots and basic (non advanced) skills.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum