Hello from the Chicken!
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

ChickenDeNoodleyNoodleIII
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Hello from the Chicken!

Post by ChickenDeNoodleyNoodleIII »

Well, I was looking on google for some Rule-sets that I could rob from and modify to fit in my own local LARP (I don't actually mean rob, but we really need some rules for traps and trap making...), and I just decided to look up "Michigan Larp" (or something similar to that), and this popped up a short way down from Larp List, so I decided to take a peak at it. I looked through the website (very professional and nice-looking, I might say), and I quick downloaded your rulebook to take a look at it (as quick as dial-up can be... *cough hour and a half). After reading through about half of it, I notified my Local larp GM about your guys' trap rules, and then decided that I might like to come to this place. After looking through some of the forum posts, your piccies, and everything else on the site, I decided that I would like to come here! This place looks and sounds great, and everyone on the boards appear to be really nice!

Now, as you may be able to decipher from above, I am no l4mZ0r n00b to LARPing. I've been with my Local for the last couple of years, and I'm quite familiar with Alliance's (the former NERO Alliance) rules, and have read countless other rulebooks of countless other LARPs. And there is one thing that I must say.... Your character sheet and some of your other rules are bloody confusing. Then again, (as with your increased cost for teaching yourself skills) trying to figure out something you are completely unfamiliar with by yourself is really bloody hard!

Though the coolest thing I've seen in your guys' entire rule-book/game, however, is your elemental affiliation rules! Those are pretty sweet, how you have those set up!

And one last question that may be completely irrelevent to this game... my GM told me that the Brighton area was where he used to go for a Larp called Jahkarova. Do you guys know anything of this?

-ChickenDeNoodleyNoodle the Third (have fun spelling my name!)

P.S: How many people are in this game? It seems like there's a lot!
P.P.S: Ummm... I hope that you guys don't mind that we may or may not be using and/or modifying your trap rules...
Eris
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Eris »

Chicken,

I have been involved with this LARP non-continuously for about 14 years. You should definitely come check us out, even if it is ONLY to loot our trap ideas. As for the reality of whether or not people are cool with you "borrowing", that is not my part so I am not here to gie you permission. All that said, I'm sure I speak for the group when I say that we would love to have any members of your group come for some mirth and merriment. Oh.....an battle of course.

Provided you aren't a knob. just kidding.....

Steve, most people know me as the HoAd.

EDIT:

PS- We meet in Brighton. It is about 18 miles North of Ann Arbor, 45 miles East of Lansing and 36 miles West of Detroit. I'm not sure where you guys are. Our exact location is on the main page.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Hello Chicken,

Well, feel free to IM me with questions on the CARPS or specifically trap rules. My IM's are listed below. The rulebook is open source, but as you might expect we'd request that you'd list is in the credits if you decide to take or modify our rules for your own system. Contact me and I'll let you know what we'd like in there.

As for how many people play this game... in it's 13 year lifetime? Hundreds for sure. Our high was 50-60 an event and low has been 5-10. Right now we're in the 20-35 range per event and on the grow again.

We did indeed share the location of Brighton with Jahkarova for a while there, I never attended their LARP but some of our members did. I did see many of their item tags on the ground though, hehe. We left Brighton a few years back due to their tearing down of some of the cabins and raising their rates. Not sure where Jahkarova went from there. We're now coming back as prices have improved.

Talk to you later,

Doug / Darthesis
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Funny thing about podraig's invitation... I showed this to some of the guy's in my group, and they went "Ooh, hey! That looks cool. If and when you go, could I tag along?" or something along those lines.

And there is one question in particular that they asked... "How much does it cost to play?". And I realized that besides the parking price, I've seen nowhere on this site that said how much it costs to play. Does it?

And if anyone is curious as to why we are looking at rulesets to borrow from... My local LARP has recently experienced an enormous split. If anything, the majority of my old group basically booted out our old Rules Masters (GM equivalent) because they were dissatisfied with everything that the Rules Masters did. Then, ironically, everything went downhill from there. I tried to take control of the reigns of this rabid horse that had become of the new LARP, and to my charign, was thrown from the saddle. The new LARP basically was like the body of a snake, completely useless without the head that was our old Rules Masters. It now lay in smoking ruins as me and the old RM's try to resurrect our old LARP as a phoenix rises from the ashes. And we're moving to a different and larger place so our hatchling may have room to spread its wings.

So because of this newly acquired space, and our hope of new and/or experienced players joining us basically obligated us to expand our rule set into something that wasn't set up for a very small area. We needed to basically re-write half of the rule book, and to add to it things that people would like to see and stuff that we definitely needed.

The most woeful part of the story, at least to me, was that I had re-written damn near the entire rulebook for the sake of the new LARP, and what happens? The entire thing is basically abandoned. All the members of the new larp have basically lost interest after the entire thing went to hell, and there are now only a few interested in even working on it anymore...

And after my bit of rhetoric up there and my now completed tale of woe... I've looked through your posts, and rulebook, and on the case of armor, do you guys really not require it be real? Only realistic looking? (though that dwarf in the rulebook's armor looked really cool... all it needed was a midsection and arm plates and it would have looked awesome...) (and hell... it even says that if you don't even have the phys-rep you can still have the effects, you just take a major penalty!) If so, that saves me a crapload of money on materials....

Anyway... I have a character Idea, and I'm rather confused on how I would go about creating him. I get how the skills would work (sorta), but the rest to me looks little more than gibberish, particularly on the Character sheet itself. Who would best be able to decipher this drivel, as it seems I have yet to acquire the proper skill?

Lol, and since everyone else is posting their names, I shall too.

-Ted

P.S: Yeah... well, we're located well in the middle of Hicktown, USA. It's a town called Middleville, about 20-30 minutes from Grand Rapids.

Lol... if you can't tell, I like to babble...
Lochlainn
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Lochlainn »

When it comes to armor, "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it." That's how I see the skill working. Just because a person doesn't have a lot of actual armor, if they really know how to use it (i.e. a high skill level) they can still get some of the benefit out of it.
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

It is true that you can take the armor points (although not the coverage benefits) from armor, even if you aren't wearing it, once you hit level 5 in the skill. The penalty for not wearing armor is -4 levels, so it wouldn't do you any good until level 5.

Armor in this game does NOT have to be real armor. It just has to look good. Whether that means high-fantasy or historically accurate, it is up to your character preference. It is the LOOK of the armor that matters. As long as there has been time and effort put in, then you will likely get the bonus.

As for making a character, we frequently meet with new players prior to the game to go over character concepts, rules questions, etc., plus we'll answer plenty of questions here too! So feel free to ask away, and also feel free to try and arrange a character-writing gathering for you and your friends with one or several of us.
X-GM Fesko
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by X-GM Fesko »

We'd certainly love to have you and your friends out here. Your first event is free. After that it is $25 per event.
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Oh? $25 dollars you say? Well! That is quite within my budget, and five dollars cheaper than NERO traverse!

And once again, another question to ask you guys...

What is your policy on acrobatics? Because I'm the sort of person who loves to do front handsprings over and off and onto tables, leap over railings, spin on his head, etc., and NERO doesn't let me do that due to safety issues. Do you guys have these same qualms? If you do have some worry, I actually do know how to do these things and have been practicing them for a long time. (I also try to climb anything that looks climbable... so if there are rafters in the buildings that aren't too hard to reach, start looking up...)
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

If it's a safety issue for others, then we'll tell you to stop (no jumping into the middle of a group of people).

As for yourself, you sign the waiver you do whatever you want to yourself within reason.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Daniel Lockheart

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Double checks our latest waivers... :)
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Haha, lol.

There won't be any need for waivers!

(Yes there will. There will always be waivers, because everybody just loves legalities!... I hate legalities.)

I wish there was no need for waivers...
xP

-Ted