interested...living out by Toledo Ohio
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

GM Fesko wrote:She means DeVris doesn’t tend to allow NON-humans into its ranks. :wink:
Oh yeah, oops :) In my defense, I DID type that at 7:30am, an hour that no human should really be awake at.

As for my icon, I believe it is a from a screenshot in Baulders Gate II, but it's been a while so don't hold me to that.

Shadowbane sounds really cool as a personal title! I could see you as easily being a member of the Mage Hunter sect of DeVris, and Doug is right, you could very easily be sent on specialized missions.
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

Thank you all again. I am glad you alerted me to this option for enchanting the armour. I like the X amount per day thing. Maybe once per repop or day? That way it isn't a cheese thing, I would really have to make the hard decision of when to use it.

What kind of point factor am I looking at with that? Perhaps a percentage, as I will not have a FULL suit right away. As I add the subsequent pieces I would then also have to pay the cost of that armour piece PLUS the enchantment price for said piece. Am I thinking correctly?

I have not come across a Darksbane title before though my dear lady Elf, sorry. So I cannot make the relation.

And it is a beautiful picture Kathryn. I think you are right as well about Mage Hunting. That might be very cool indeed! Not every adventure need be about "the mission", but when it is, "You'll rue the day, Trebeck!" :mad:

And it is true, I don't really care about points, I like the Role Playing :) I've never really been one to tweak all the little things to maximize numbers. As for my leaders using my hatred; that is true, I would then REALLY be a tool! LOL though perhaps my character would get sick of it somewhere down the line and break away? Interesting future plot possibility :) I am good humored enough to throw myself at the GMs' mercy. That doesn't mean I am an easy mark though :evil:

This is very exciting! Thank you for helping me flesh this out!! The depressing bit is having to wait until March before being able to utilize this wonderfully well worked out character :( It is a shame you don't have an around-the-table game in the off-season!

Excellent, thank you!
-Jason
Last edited by rogue_artist on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

As for enchantment, that would be something your character could have heard about ingame, but have no real knowledge of how to get done. You'd have to talk to NPC's and PC's ingame for more info.

However you can enchant previously created armor if it is of high enough quality, so this is something you could add to your armor (and your character) over time.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

Darthesis wrote:As for enchantment, that would be something your character could have heard about ingame, but have no real knowledge of how to get done. You'd have to talk to NPC's and PC's ingame for more info.

However you can enchant previously created armor if it is of high enough quality, so this is something you could add to your armor (and your character) over time.
Excellent! I enjoy having something to work toward and goals to achieve! Thank you :)

Oh and I will ensure I make the armour of a quality high enough to inspire such a feat ;)
Last edited by rogue_artist on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

Solari Son of the Mother
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

Haha, Darksbane is the first thing I thought of, If you happen to come in as a mage hunter with a "bane" name you're going to get alot of ribbing from atleast one elf IG. :P
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

Solari Son of the Mother wrote:Haha, Darksbane is the first thing I thought of, If you happen to come in as a mage hunter with a "bane" name you're going to get alot of ribbing from atleast one elf IG. :P
Uh oh, inside joke :P This sounds like a fun group to be involved in :)
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

You will be hard pressed to find a stranger mismatch of people out there, although other LARPs I'm sure can also try to claim this title.

That being said, there aren't any real cliques of people on the 'in' and people on the 'out' which is what makes this group special.

Of course with any LARP it's hard to get involved at your first event, as things are in motion that you don't understand (ingame or oog) and you are not a part of any organizations or known 'crews' that get things done together. You start by roleplaying, offering help and getting involved. The fun grows from there.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

awesome :)

Say, are there any gatherings of CARPS players between now and when the season starts back up?
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

X-GM Fesko
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by X-GM Fesko »

Unfortunately, no, no gatherings are planned, save for a trail-clearing operation two weeks before the first event.

A merit which makes a skill usable in heavy armor that normally isn’t ought to doable, too.

Suits of armor have a single price – basically a price for the full suit. So you’d pay for the whole thing, even it you’re currently only wearing greaves. But then you can add more components later at no cost. The amount of coverage you have affects the ‘quality’ of the armor. Low coverage takes away a level of Hvy Armor, while complete coverage adds a level.
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
Kimberlyn Darksbane

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

I guess this is where I pipe in...

I actually play well the pc mage hunter in game. The character is Kimberlyn Darksbane. I've taken a break, but will absolutely be back in 2008.

As was stated earlier I was both in the Guild of Mages and then after the change over am now in the Mage Hunter branch of House Devris. One probably really good description of my character is that she is a zelot. She can be a royal pain in the behind with all things necromantic and well with rogue mages.

Trust me, other pcs work around her.

Oh and I did have the hatred flaw for a long time and it was directed at dark elves. Again a tricky situation because when I was doing the whole hatred thing Kimberlyn around a dark elf was like unleashing a pit bull, but then again that is where the whole zelot thing comes into play again.

If you have any questions about Mage Hunters feel free to PM me.
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Nixed the Shadowbane...Enter the ShadowBlade!!

Post by rogue_artist »

A Mage Hunter would be kinda cool :) However, I don't want to over specialize right away until I get a feel for playing CARPS. So to make things a little easier and more generic.... I found another prestige class from "Tome of Magic" called "Shadowblade" which mixes a Rogue with a Fighter for a sneaky combatant.

I really want a character who walks the gray line, not really good or evil. By removing the "Paladin" background of the Shadowbane, I can get rid of the Religious zeal against "Evil" and make my character the Neutral type of person I really want! :) (and I won't have Bane in my name LOL)

Now, please read the special functions of this class and let me know if there is a way to create similar effects/spells in CARPS. I will also see about what I can do to make Leather armour; light and with no restrictions to Rogue-ness. I actually found some of my stock of leather that I had forgotten about. Not enough for a full suit, but enough to play around with for beginning.

I am also thinking of doing the... uhm.. I don't recall their race name. Its the sneaky dudes who paint themselves like black and white harlequins. They seem to be along the lines of this type of character.

These are scans from the "Tome of Magic" book so you get the idea straight from the source.....

Please let me know what you all think and how I can incorporate the essential idea behind this D&D class into a CARPS character.

Thanks ever so much to everyone for their awesome enthusiasm and great help!!!!
-Jason
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

X-GM Fesko

Post by X-GM Fesko »

Unerring Strike would be Speed of Blade in CARPS
Sudden Strike and Ephemeral Weapon do increased damage, which is mirrored by Slay, Backstab, and Destroy Undead skills.
See in Darkness and Shadow Vision can’t really be roleplayed. It could grant you some RP advantages, but not likely anything notable.
Unseen weapon – in a LARP I can only see that as being a hidden weapon – which you can achieve with daggers using the Search skill.
Shadowy Strike is the Vorpal skill – Damage bypasses armor
Far Shadow would best be represented by the Lash skill – everything within 10 ft of you is hit.
Shadow and Stealth – Hide skill.
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

Excellent! Thanks again Doug :)
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired

Torvach

Post by Torvach »

Pardon me while I woohoo that I might not be the only meat shield around anymore.

That and, awesome artwork.
rogue_artist
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by rogue_artist »

lol thanks! :)
www.Rogue-Artist.com

Living Historian:
15th century European
16th century Japanese
American Civil War
WWII -retired