whoah, guys, i have no idea whats going on
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

celegar
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by celegar »

also, i was concerned about park maps? are characters allowed to carry maps, for reasons of getting lost?.
Ziggy Sprickzlesprooock M.D. -Gnomegeneer Extraordinaire-
celegar

Post by celegar »

hey, whats the deal with deleting my post about my questions about the game? :mad:

im not allowed to post in the rules questions area so i had to do it here and now i cant remember half the questions that i needed to ask since my first post was deleted.
that wasnt cool. i just wanted to know more about the game before this weekend.

alright, now that im done ranting, here are some of the q's that i remember.

if i am wearing armor(pauldons, shinguards, bracers ect.) do i have to buy the armor ingame in order to wear it or will it just be counted as extra costume points?

can i carry around a decorated to timeperiod binder with the rules in it?

since this will be the first time iv played carps, or any larp game for that matter, would you more experienced players recomend that i start by taking the first repop as an NPC or just jump right on in. iv played rpgs for years and have acted in game in them rather easly.

what is considered a time period container for drinks on the trail?

would a stainless steel flask be considered time period?

is pcv armor counted just like cardboard armor for the sake of physical rep?

ok, that all the q's i have right now, im sure ill have more soon.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Okay, to answer your questions.

Firstly, on the maps... yes you may carry an area map around for safety reasons without an issue.

Secondly, I checked the log and I do not see any posts about questions on the game here. It was not deleted by any moderators here. Something technical must have swallowed it when you wrote it.

Thirdly, armor. You 'should' buy the armor skill and the armor in game so you will get maximum benefit from it in game. As a starting charcater you'll start with enough money to buy it. If you don't want to do any of that, yes if it looks good and period it will still give you costume points.

Fourthly. Of course. The more in-period costuming the better, and you can carry whatever you want even if it is out of game. The less distracting for other players the better (as you plan to do with the in-period covering).

Fifthly on the PC vs. NPC. I'd say you jump right in. I'd show up a bit early and talk to NPC's before game and see if there are any other newer (first year) players so you can hook up with them in game. As with ANY LARP, the first few events are the hardest as people are parts of organizations, involved with ongoing plotlines and such. You need to get into being a part of that to be more involved and have more fun. Volunteering to help, joining an organization that fits your character and just making in-game friends are the solutions to this. We don't write plots for single characters very often, so the quicker you are a part of a group or get asked to come along, the better.

You are showing up for the most dangerous event of every CARPS year, the Bloodmoon. There will be things that will be above your character's head to handle. In that case, NPC camp will likely offer you a chance to 'join the dark side' and fight against the PC's... take them up on it. You'll learn a lot doing that as well. And it's fun. :twisted:

Sixthly, steel flask, that's more than close enough for most people here, go for it.

Seventhly, the armor. I wouldn't focus on material, cardboard, PVC, etc. Focus on how 'real' and 'in-period' it looks. The better it looks the more credit and bonus armor it will earn you. Any armor you call armor will count. The more realistic it looks and the better it adds to our game immersion and realism, the more bonuses we give for it. As such MOST PVC armor would look better than most cardboard armor, but I've seen extremely good and bad armor phys reps of almost every material, so you never know.

No one will pick on you for phys reps, especially not on your first event. New players are the life's blood of any LARP, feel free to ask questions or guidance of any NPC's or PC's during the event, most everyone will happily help you out.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

First, welcome to CARPS! You'll find almost all of the players are friendly, and are willing to help and answer questions if you have any.

Just to add to what Doug said, I would make a cheat-sheet of quick character stats and skills and keep it with you so if you forget how much armor or life you have, you have a quick reference.

As for carrying around the rules, there's not really a need to! For damage calls as a general rule, if you hear a number before a word (i.e. 8 edge), just subtract that number from your armor. If you get hit by a damage call you don't recognize, or hear someone call out a skill you don't recognize, feel free to ask another player, NPC, game master, or anyone. Even those of us who have been here a long time sometimes will ask those types of questions.

And the players in general are pretty inclusive of new characters. If you actively engage in RP, we'll assimilate you pretty quickly.

Look forward to seeing you this weekend!
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Yep, that's key what Ken/Llyshon said. The more you roleplay with people sitting around the fire or in the cabins, the quicker you'll be 'involved' in things.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
celegar

Post by celegar »

hey, i also have an old ww2 tank gunner helmat, i was wondering if it would be in period if i wrapped that helmat in cloth with a viel on the back, like a desert neck covering viel thing.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

As with all things, in moderation, in stages. Yes, that's a good first choice for a helmet. We've had multiple people use them in the past. It's not as good as a $300 full plate helm, but it's much better than cloth or duct tape and cardboard! It'll work fine.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Plus, remember that we are a high fantasy game. So long as it isn't obviously from today's world, let your immagination run wild!
Elf Marshal/S.H.E.
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Elf Marshal/S.H.E. »

And of course safety is a concern, you may want to make sure that the veil can't get in your way or obscure your vision. Other than that, have at!
"The Red Tear didn't anticipate pizza delivery."