General questions for noobs
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisH
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

General questions for noobs

Post by ChrisH »

I'm not a noob to LARPing (played NERO many years and another LARP based off NERO), but I have never played CARPS. I plan on attending the next event, but had a quick question.

How is your starting equipment determined? In NERO you got a weapon for whatever you can yield (but only 1 weapon), and armor for what you can phys rep. How does this work in CARPS? I couldn't find that in the rule book anywhere (doesn't mean it isn't there).

Also, what time do I need to show up to check in, etc? Do I need to send my character ahead of time (It is basically done anyway).

Thanks
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Never a problem, ask away!

Firstly, starting equipment is listed in the book on pages 27 and 28. It states that you start out with 100 pemb (modified by any merits and flaws you may choose that affect this), and then you buy equipment off the chart below at 50% of normal cost.

You can show up with two copies of your character sheet in hand if it's ready by then, one for our records and one for yourself. If you're not ready or still have questions, we'll have someone help you through it during check in as well.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

as for a time to show up. Not before 5pm if i remember correctly. check in itself is normally closer to 7pm. but if you get there before you can go over questions that you may have.

Rianna
Gone and Yet not gone
ChrisH
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by ChrisH »

Thanks. Adam has looked mine over to make sure I did things right.
Eris
Pinky
Pinky

a noob I guess

Post by Eris »

I suppose you could call me a noob, newb, noobie....whatever. If I am having trouble in the character generation part of things, is there anyone in the Brighton area that I could ask for help?

Paddy
Kathryn Skress
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Kathryn Skress »

I'm not sure who we have in the Brighton area currently, but there are several of us a short hop away in the Lansing area. There are also a significant portion of us available online via instant messenger.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Yep, there may yet be a Brighton person, but there are people in Lansing, I'm over in Clarkston, and many others around who would be willing to help.

As Natalie said, many of us are available on IM (use the contacts below for me) and we can probably help you through via IM if you have any sort of specific questions or even a 'plan' of what you want to do with your character.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Eris
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Eris »

It seems like the archetypes are a really good place to start. I was looking over the book last night. I don't mean this in a bad way (I don't know if anyone would take it as such) but it kinda reads like a GURPS book. Very complex, but me likey.
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Nope, I don't take that as an insult.

The goal is that you can be ANYTHING at CARPS, from warrior to mage to healer to rogue to seer to alchemist to craftsman to politician... and many others, with any mix inbetween.

Yep, all the details are in there, but it's not the simple 'Do you want to be a fighter/wizard/cleric/rogue? Cool, you're level 1.'

The archetypes are definitely a place to get you started with what skills might match what you want your character to be able to do.

Also note that our Fast Track program is still in place, so you start with 100 points + flaws AND all points you earn for attendance or helping out CARPS are doubled for a while.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Eris
Pinky
Pinky

Post by Eris »

how does this fast track thing work? I don't have to join a Talented and Gifted Program do i? I hate smart kids
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

http://www.carpsgame.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2563

Basically we are giving newer players a quick start up the point progression so that they can more easily fit in on the higher end plots and scenes. The game was designed to fit all point levels together, but with lower numbers we had in 2006 we found we were running fewer plots at one time so this helped the situation.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum