Costume Question
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Nel
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Costume Question

Post by Nel »

I'm playing an Avyana, and was wondering what the blue circles around the eye are for? Is it just an identifier for the race, or is it meant as a representation of the ring that's around a real birds eye? If it's supposed to be the ring that's natural around a birds eye, could I change the color to better suit the type of bird my character is?
GM Todd
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Re: Costume Question

Post by GM Todd »

Its both actually. Our Aviana are decidedly bird like, but all aviana have blue around the eyes. Now that being said we have a flaw/merit called mutation that would allow something like what you described. It would be cheap, likely only a 1 point flaw/merit, but other Aviana would look at you as something strange.
Could make for some great role-play. :)
Just make sure you are otherwise recognizable as Aviana.
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

I haven't noticed any of the in-game Avyanna as having circles around their eyes, Todd... But maybe I'm just not observant.
Nel
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Nel »

Sound cool! Would it take away from my skill pool, or would it be like having a fear and add to it? Just not 100% sure and want to clarify, as unlike the other mutations, it's not giving me a clear benefit? (or is that just because it only costs 1 point? X3)
If I did want to take the mutation, regardless if it adds or takes away, would I have to completely rebuild and forfeit all points earned from the July event?
GM Todd

Post by GM Todd »

Costume requirements (suggestions) include the following..
~Wear feathers in your hair (or wear a hat)
~Make blue circles around your eyes (blue eye shadow works well)
~Draw an “X” on your forehead (eyeliner or cream makeup)
~Wear a beak (if possible)

Merits/Flaws
Mutation/Deformity - +1/-1
Basically your just trying to add a little sumthin sumthin on the end (mad props to anyone who spotted that Drumline quote) and change your appearance. Since the rulebook specifically lists the blue around the eyes for appearance we have to change it via Merits or Flaws. You can take either..
~Mutation (Merit); "Your character has some sort of a mutation that has created an advantage for him or her. The point cost is dependent on how your character mutated." (1pt) You look different from other Avyana (no other bonus)
or
~Deformity (Flaw); "Your character has a deformity. The point cost is based on the severity of the deformation. All deformities must be approved by an NPC for safety reasons." (1pt) You look different than other Avyana (other Avyana will look at you funny)

Either is a viable option, the Flaw will just earn you more grief from NPCs. ;)

And, no. You would not have to rebuild your character. We give you three Events to kinda settle into your character. No ones gonna make a deal out of a small cosmetic change. (With absolutely ZERO powergaming potential. ;) )
dier_cire
The Thane's Drinking Buddy
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by dier_cire »

Taking it as a merit would be signify your coloring as something rare and generally viewed favorably (a girl with red hair for instance). Taking it as a flaw would signify your colring as something undesirable (those creepy albinos). How you choose to roleplay the change is what would determine merit or flaw.
Eld - retired
Karn
Nel
Inn Patron
Inn Patron

Post by Nel »

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to make it a flaw, as I'm based of a crow/raven, and most people tend not to like those. Any thoughts on that?

I also was wondering if you stay in the on game cabin, how in costume should you be overnight? Are there any penalties for not having full 'make up' if you're woken up? This just popped up while working on a part of my costume, so forgive me if this isn't the right place for this question.
GM Todd

Post by GM Todd »

Nah, its a perfect place for this question.

There are no penalties for being 'out of uniform' so to speak. ;)
We encourage everyone to do there best to be in gear while in game because it adds to the immersion, but if your suddenly woken and dont have time to 'put on your face' we understand. Just first opportunity slip off and do what you gotta do.
The only exception to this is armor. If your not wearing your armor you should role-play accordingly.
X-GM Snow
Member of the Mage's Guild
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by X-GM Snow »

I was going to say, "This is why I sleep in the mages guild tower," but then I remembered how horribly that has gone for me in the past.
-GM Snow

"I'm gonna ask you one more time, did you try to kill that Unicorn?"

"Does my answer matter? You're going to try and kill me anyway."

"You're not wrong." *Deathstrike*
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

Personally, I sleep in PJ bottoms and a tank top. Keeps me decent (because I prefer not to show off my 'assets' if awoken in the middle of the night), cool, and comfy.
X-GM Brian

Post by X-GM Brian »

Wuss! Just sayin...

sent from my smarty pants phone.
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Damara
Inn Regular
Inn Regular

Post by Damara »

Yep, I'm a wuss because I choose not to sleep in a skirt, and a shirt that doesn't stay on my shoulders. I'll take it. I don't see you sleeping in that attire either, though, Brian. Just throwing that out there. (Now I can't decide if I want to see that or not...)
X-GM Brian

Post by X-GM Brian »

Now I need to find a skirt and a shirt that fir that desc for next event. Everyone remember that Heather brought this down upon you all.

sent from my smarty pants phone.
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Edrial
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Post by Edrial »

women probably get extra character points for "not being in costume" if it is in the middle of the night and they have to get up and fight. In addition they can probably just bounce and every male would be so distracted the women could just kill them.
-Edrial
-Head of House Mandilor, Midway
-Head of Crimson Steel
Vigfus Vigbjornsson
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Vigfus Vigbjornsson »

Meh, I don't see gender at CARPS, just targets. You're all meat to me.
You are a victim of mechanic strategy over role-playing. Think outside the box. Role-play.