Hello ^^
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Sakane

Hello ^^

Post by Sakane »

Hi my friends are pestering me to try CARPS at least once and so here I am.

I am planning on playing a wood elf, and I am building sort of a Druid with disenchanting would be the best way to describe it.

What I'm curious about is the Animal Ken skills. I know just Animal Ken allows you to communicate/befriend/ignore animals. What I don't really understand is Animal Ken, Master. Is it shapeshifting? or do you just get access to a single aspect of the animal? If it is full on shapeshifting, can I still talk and do other actions like cast spells?

Also I was looking at the skills, you don't have to be a mage to have Sense Magic right? Cause I don't want to really deal with the magic system until I understand the game first.

- Sakane
AlexV
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: Hello ^^

Post by AlexV »

Sense Magic is for everyone.

Its shape shifting into a specific animal, but beyond that you have to ask some one more informed than me.

Welcome to CARPS.
Vorrin Lambsheart
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

Welcome to CARPS.

The book is purposefully vague on animalism, as the skill is not widely known or understood in-game.
It sort of is, and sort of isn't, shapeshifting. Your animal form has it's own character sheet. No skills cross over, but you can buy the same skill on both character sheets (assuming Accesses allow it). Your animal can't speak, unless the base animal can, or the GM approves that as a mutation.
I'm fairly certain that spell casting as an animal is not going to happen.
Gekek
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by Gekek »

Yes you can buy magic skills without the Magic Sensitive merit, it is just a lot more expensive.
Gekek Farwalker,
Lion Tribe Warrior, First Warden of Lion's Pride Peak
Scout, Member of The Keepers
Head of House Toevass in the Campbell Thanedom, Keeper of the Fifth Tome
Slayer of Vath, Guardian of Phantara

Mike, Assistant GM, Logistics team Player Marshal, Magic Marshal, and Rules Team
Dietrich

Post by Dietrich »

Sense Magic is a basic skill, available to everyone mage or non.

Animalism is, as mentioned, about as unwritten a skill as can be. It is full on shapeshifting with some ... odd things. Jeckyl and Hyde but the two can talk to each other would be the best description of the skill. Still one of my favorite skills too.
Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby wrote:When I was a man I thought it ended
When I knew love's perfect ache
But my peace has always depended
On all the ashes in my wake

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash
Sakane

Post by Sakane »

I see. Thanks for your responses, I think I have a much better idea of what I'm doing now.

I'm mainly buying support skills, Healing and Disenchanting being my primary skills. I figured later on I would buy into Animal Ken cause it looked fun and fit into my character. I would also need to be able to defend myself... eventually

- Sakane