Questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Questions

Post by netzach3498 »

We had a few questions, first main one was the activity. Is this game still live?
AlexV
Drinking Contest Contender

Re: Questions

Post by AlexV »

yes it is. just waiting for someone with admin privileged to approve you.
Vorrin Lambsheart
netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by netzach3498 »

I know how to work with pepakura and fiberglass to 501st standards. We were wondering shield material and what's allowed. Can I make a resin and fiberglass shield? We are running a group of Greek themed soldiers wwondering where something like a Greek theocratical republic tribe would fit in. Is the an established pantheon? other question is in regards shield measurements when considering an aspis. The maximum for a tower shield was given but not a round shield like an aspis.

I got 5-6 people I'm trying to arm and costume asap. Really could use the info since 5 are hoplit
Kenric Sayne

Post by Kenric Sayne »

As long as the shields have padding on the edges there shouldn't be an issue since we have people with wood shields. As for the pantheon, there are no gods or religions in Phantera. And I can't remember the measurements on shields right now.
Kenric Sayne
Ex-Magistrate and Former Head of House DeVris, Midway
agmundr
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by agmundr »

Here are the shield spec's for you. Not sure why the pictures did not show up I will see if Jason or Todd can post them.
To make Shields: (Making Weapons section)
Shields can come in various sizes and shapes. In CARPs we have a few limits to keep our players safe, and to help keep the game play as realistic as possible.
A few examples of acceptable shield design include;
Round/Oval Shields
Board/Square Shields
Kite/Heater Shields

Dueling shields, Lantern shields, and Tower shields are not considered CARPs legal as they have unsafe, or unfair, designs.

CARPs shields must have a surface area no larger than 24” wide and 32” long, and must be approved by our Weapons Marshal. The only exceptions to these rules are ‘Bucklers’, and ‘Kite/Heater’ shields.
Bucklers have a reduced surface area. Round bucklers must have a surface area with a minimum of 10” round, and a maximum of 12” round. Square or rectangular bucklers must have a surface area with a minimum of 8”x10”, and a maximum of 10”x12”.
Kite/Heater shields have an exaggerated taper to their design resulting in lessened surface areas. While they must still be no larger than 24” wide, they may be up to 40” long and MUST be approved by our Weapons Marshal. A brief diagram of Kite/Heater shield design as well as other approved design’s are pictured below.
Shields should then be trimmed in foam for protection, making sure to cover any screws or rough points with cloth or duct tape.
Safyr, Gan to the Breath of the Asp
Qara Aslan to the Company of the New Dawn
Batu to the Mongke Oyugun
Member of the Seer's Guild
Enforcer to House Mandalor
GM Todd
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by GM Todd »

The Kenric is correct on all counts, as for shield sizes ...
Rulebook wrote:To make Shields:

Shields can come in various sizes and shapes. In CARPs we have a few limits to keep our players safe, and to help keep the game play as realistic as possible.

A few examples of acceptable shield design include;

Round/Oval Shields

Board/Square Shields

Kite/Heater Shields

Dueling shields, Lantern shields, and Tower shields are not considered CARPs legal as they have unsafe, or unfair, designs.

CARPs shields must have a surface area no larger than 24” wide and 32” long, and must be approved by our Weapons Marshal. The only exceptions to these rules are ‘Bucklers’, and ‘Kite/Heater’ shields.

Bucklers have a reduced surface area. Round bucklers must have a surface area with a minimum of 10” round, and a maximum of 12” round. Square or rectangular bucklers must have a surface area with a minimum of 8”x10”, and a maximum of 10”x12”.

Kite/Heater shields have an exaggerated taper to their design resulting in lessened surface areas. While they must still be no larger than 24” wide, they may be up to 40” long and MUST be approved by our Weapons Marshal. A brief diagram of Kite/Heater shield design as well as other approved design’s are pictured below.

Shields should then be trimmed in foam for protection, making sure to cover any screws or rough points with cloth or duct tape.
Welcome aboard.
Your Samoan GM
GM Todd

Post by GM Todd »

Haha. Shane beat me to it.
Attachments
Shield types.jpg
Shield types.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 14848 times
netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by netzach3498 »

I guess the confusion came in with the fact an aspis is 35" diameter, and I figured I would have to decrease that, but didn't figure a 33% loss in size which totally destroys my math on cardboard rings to create the dome.. I guess then to play with the rules I'll have to use the Trojan style shield.

Ok, you said there's no pantheon. However does that mean a character must be athiest? A huge portion of our characters were built around the worship of G-ds and the fact our female player is a Virgin Oracle. We were wondering on the flaw for...
Obligation- Your character has an obligation they owe to
someone and it takes up a large amount of their
time. This character can never be mentored.

We wanted to make our Spartan players to take an Obligation to protect the Oracle at all costs as our Obligation. We decided as a group we'd be completely Republic with everyone equal, and take votes. Anytime it isn't unanimous we would put it to binding arbitration by the Oracle to make sure even minority opinions were considered. Can our obligation be that?

We just trying to get seamlessly into this game without any discrepancies in design and fluff. We're all experienced roleplayers, and to us the story/character matters more than the stats. We were wanting to be foreign tribesman venturing out of our homeland with the Oracle on a quest of the G-ds. Think 300 meets Odyssey.
GM Todd

Post by GM Todd »

Its true, we have no gods. But less than Atheism its a complete non understanding. Now, a gentle way around this is mild idolatry. Following the dictates of your Oracle is perfectly acceptable, and the Obligation flaw is perfectly acceptable in that case.
As far as a a link to the Gods for your Oracle that would be a no, but assuming some sort of Soothsaying background your oracle could certainly be following the dictates of fate.

I know it seems like splitting hairs, but we have a firmly held line.
netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by netzach3498 »

Could we do ancestor worship then like the Dwarves? Say that Zeus, Ares, and Hephaestus were the first of our tribe to pick up the mantle of Spartan. That way our Oracle consults the Ancients.

We decided that Laconia is the town we're from, we call ourselves The Greeks as a tribe, and we use Aegian and Spartan as castes. That way we can take all of Greece and downsize it to a single town in the mountains.

So to us an Aegian is anyone who is an auxillary support to the Spartan which is our warrior caste. However our people have only 10 professional soldiers with the village all being trained in at least remedial fighting ability. So that we represent the professional soliders sworn to protect the oracle for life.
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

As a note, the use of religion within Fantasy Boffer larps has caused considerable "bad publicity" for several games in the US. As a result carps has a firm line that this game is one everyone should be able to enjoy regardless of personal religious beliefs. The only way to ensure such a thing, and avoid bad publicity is to remove religion from the equation.

Instead of being on a quest from the Gods you could be on a visionquest from an unknown source. You could be on a mission for your tribal eldars. You could be on a rite of passage. You could be seeking some ancient magical artifact that was lost by your tribe and is rumored to be in the area.

The game has a variety of Divination based skills (soothsaying, astrology, Lore, and magical spells) that can be used to explain the oracle's power and "sight" without bringing in a god.

I hope this makes sense and look forward to seeing you all at an event. You concept sounds pretty cool, and I am excited to see it in action.

-Evan
Maxine Gordon

Post by Maxine Gordon »

netzach3498 wrote:Could we do ancestor worship then like the Dwarves? Say that Zeus, Ares, and Hephaestus were the first of our tribe to pick up the mantle of Spartan. That way our Oracle consults the Ancients.

We decided that Laconia is the town we're from, we call ourselves The Greeks as a tribe, and we use Aegian and Spartan as castes. That way we can take all of Greece and downsize it to a single town in the mountains.

So to us an Aegian is anyone who is an auxillary support to the Spartan which is our warrior caste. However our people have only 10 professional soldiers with the village all being trained in at least remedial fighting ability. So that we represent the professional soliders sworn to protect the oracle for life.
I will say that using the specific names of greek gods will be a turn off to many people and has the potential to generate a lot of out of game talk. I would suggest making up your own greek sounding names for your ancients.
Formally Maka the Orc (Maka done got dead)
Now Jane the Alchemist
netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by netzach3498 »

Maxine Gordon wrote:
netzach3498 wrote:Could we do ancestor worship then like the Dwarves? Say that Zeus, Ares, and Hephaestus were the first of our tribe to pick up the mantle of Spartan. That way our Oracle consults the Ancients.

I will say that using the specific names of greek gods will be a turn off to many people and has the potential to generate a lot of out of game talk. I would suggest making up your own greek sounding names for your ancients.
...yea we just wanted to roleplay Greeks. white washing the hell out of characters is kind of lame.
netzach3498
Soberiety Expert
Soberiety Expert

Post by netzach3498 »

As part of playing a Greek character all of them claimed heritage from a hero/pantheon of some form. We agreed to drop the aspect of religion completely, but to wash away the belief in Heroic ancestors is ridiculous. It's a dead religion, and "out of game" talk is ridiculous. No person of healthy mind still actively acknowledges the existence of Hellenic pantheon. However the names make it readily identifiable. Saying you descend from the legendary "Acacius" is less than a shrug from another character. It's not like Scandinavia culture where they took great pride in their immediate relatives. Greeks claimed otherworldly descendant. It's paramount to a Spartan to be of Herculean blood. To take that away robs the character of most of it's merit.
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

Where to start... I'm trying to be helpful, but I've been told my written tone sounds harsh. Please accept this in the helpful manner it was intended.

OK, first, please don't get bent out of shape over what Maxine said. I happen to agree with her, but if it didn't come from Todd, it isn't etched in stone. He is the one that has to approve any naming conventions you want to use. That also goes for everything else I'm about to say, though I hope you will take a moment to consider it.

If I'm not mistaken, the 'out of game talk' comment was with regard to making people drop out of character. I guarantee that if you bring in loincloth wearing warriors, and call yourselves Spartans, you'll have at least 3 people dropping character to spout lines from 300. That sort of thing breaks up the flow, distracts from the setting we're actually supposed to be in, and is generally discouraged during 'game-on' times. We don't care at all about talking about game during non-game times (honestly, don't get us started, we will never shut up). If you bring in Spartan-esque characters, and call yourselves Acacians, no one will bat an eyelash. They are a cool idea. (Though a couple people might compare you to puny versions of Olaf, the loincloth wearing giant badass barbarian.)

This is a fantasy setting. Names don't mean a damn thing. You could name yourself Hercules, and other than the aforementioned out-of-game issue, it is not going to mean anything to the characters. If you want to have an impact equivalent to being descended from Hercules, you will need to talk to Todd and find an in-game character to use as your ancestor. Otherwise, you're just some fresh blood from a backwater with strange names.

All of the groups that have origins in real-life groups are whitewashed to distance them from real history. The game world isn't our world, and at no point do their histories coincide. We have a group that are very similar to Gypsies, but we call them Sylvani on purpose. We have a group that is similar to Scottish berserkers, but we call them 'Caledonian barbarians' on purpose. If I wanted to be descended from Robert the Bruce, or William Wallace, I'd want to be a Caledonian, but I'd have to make up some other name, so that people didn't start spouting lines about being seven feet tall, and shooting lightning bolt from my arse.

Does that help any?