The first of (possibly) many (probably) stupid questions
A Forum for new players to ask questions about CARPS. (and of course welcome to all of our Hungarian spammers!)

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom

The first of (possibly) many (probably) stupid questions

Post by Maelstrom »

So...
While I play P&D RPGs, love to camp, am a season pass holder for MiRF and C.A.R.P.S. seems to embody elements of all 3, I've never done anything remotely like this before. That being said, is it acceptable to show up to an event and just watch? I'd like to see it in action before I decide to "come out of my shell". I can dress the part (who knew that Ren Faire garb would have more than one use?), would be more than happy to help out with....whatever...throughout the day and could pay my share of whatever. From what I've read so far, it seems NPCs are usually in short supply. I could probably manage doing something like that if needs be.

Anywho...any answers, suggestions or what-have-you's would be much appreciated! :D
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Re: The first of (possibly) many (probably) stupid questions

Post by Hawke »

I'm still a noob myself.
However, if I recall correctly, the communal wisdom is: you can come and watch. no problem. You can take a stab at a character at any point you want. NPC camp, or the new player marshal, (or anyone standing around with time) will help you out. In addition, each player is allowed a free re-write of their first character after 2 or 3 events, in case they decide they hate the choices that were originally made. (as opposed to retiring a character, and starting a new one, which only nets you a partial return on investment of experience points)
NPC'ing is not recommended for complete newbies, because the NPCs need to have at least enough familiarity with the rules to use their assigned powers correctly, and understand the damage types coming at them from players enough to die on cue. And an idea of the safety rules might be a concern as well.
NPC SoCo
Drinking Contest Winner
Drinking Contest Winner

Post by NPC SoCo »

Not sure if this was responded to or not in another way or even if you made it out last weekend, but I never tell people not to come. You will want to play once you get there and a first event character is easy to draft. So come on out in April if you missed March and watch for a while or ask anyone to point you to someone who can help you draft a new PC up and jump into the action.
"INVICTUS" by William Ernest Henly
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS

Player Ombudsman
X-GM Brian
The Thanedom's Taste Tester
The Thanedom's Taste Tester

Post by X-GM Brian »

What Soco said =)
Henrik of Castileon
Commander of Gnomercy
House Toevass
Earth Warden of Midway

The Words:
"You either die being a true gnome ... or live long enough that everyone considers your antics evil!"
Kenric Sayne
Drinking Contest Contender
Drinking Contest Contender

Post by Kenric Sayne »

As new player marshall, I will gladly help you make a character if you need any assisitance when you come out in April.
Kenric Sayne
Ex-Magistrate and Former Head of House DeVris, Midway
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

We might want to get the 2012 event calendar posted to the front page. or at least posted in the forums someplace more obvious than hiding in the GM's Corner.
GM Evan
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by GM Evan »

Hawke, you might want to clear your browser cache or at least do a hard refresh. The Dates have been updated on both the front page and the Events calendar for at least this entire week and I want to say this month or longer.

-E
Hawke
The Inn's Taste Tester
The Inn's Taste Tester

Post by Hawke »

D'oh!