Delegation Returns
Music, fun, and best of all, lots of Ale! One cannot ask for more than that, except for a warm bed, which they have as well.

Moderator: Moderators

X-GM Fesko
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Delegation Returns

Post by X-GM Fesko »

The delegation reappears at Legacy. All are accounted for save Chronixxx, Rooks, and Klog.

“Well will fight them.” General Fuller announces with confidence. “And we will win. The Crocs will not only learn to respect the military might of Silverthorne, but fear it!”

Sir Fredrick grimmaces only momentarily before resetting his political poker face. “If we must fight these Kunapan, now is the time. You heard Skarr’s boast of being undefeated for 300 years. They are a long live race. He also said his nation’s military has been idle for generations. The Essence Wars is likely the last time they had to truly mobilize. What state would maintain a sizable military presence through a thousand years of peace?”

“And as none of us have heard of this ‘Ascendancy’ before, it cannot be anywhere nearby. Moki’s troops attacked their villages over a year ago, and the Kunapan vanguard is only now approaching us.”

“Their armies are likely only now forming, and doing so in very distant lands. What has reached us is but an ill-equipped police force of untested conscripts. I saw no weapons amongst their rank and file – natural claws their only weapons – and armor of only helmets and padded gambesons.”

“The seem to follow an outlook similar to Orcs – they only respect strength comparable or greater than their own.”

“And knowledge.” Fitz-Droven added. “They seem to put a high price on lore. It had -” He glances at Fuller, “nearly gained us their cooperation.”

Sir Fredrick nodded. “Indeed. But the Kunapan are at their weakest now – likely far from mobilized. If we must fight them to earn their respect, now is the time. We may yet gain them as allies against the Red Tear.”

“Impossible!” Fuller declares. “Not while the Avyana fight beside us!”

“I like to think nothing is beyond the realm of the possible, General.” Sir Fredrick replies. “There are always options to be found by an open mind.”

“Imagination must always be tempered by practicality Sir Knight.” Fuller responds. “Regardless, I must check with my Captains to ensure preparations are on schedule. The Crocs will be here by the Blood Moon.”

“A bad omen…” One of the soldiers mutters.

“Yes. For them.” Says the General with confidence.
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
Edrick Stormbane
House Mandalor
House Mandalor

Post by Edrick Stormbane »

*Edrick breaths a sigh of relief as he returns to Legacy. Edrick turns to Solari*

Thank you for making sure I got out of there. I appreciate your thoughtfullness

*Edrick turn to the Thane and General, Bows*

My Lords, Is there anything else you need of me at this time? If not, may I be dismissed so I can contuine my efforts to help Legacy?
Almer Forni of the Helmspliter Clan
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

*listens politely to the Knight, then responds quietly* "Given their warlike nature it may well be that the Kunapan have kept a sizable force even in peacetime, or that the bulk of their pooulation is trained for war from a young age. They also have mages as part of their forces. Mages can open portals or teleport to get reinforcements. In addition, they appear to have a soothsayer. I would counsel an immediate strike upon them while they are on the march, in ground of our choosing, with any further discussion of tactics done under protection of a scry shield." *He looks at the General* "Why wait to teach them their lesson? They certainly did not wait for us.Why give them breathing room or time to prepare? Think of the surprised look on their faces when the might of Silverthorne comes crashing down upon them unawares."
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

*** A figure from the corner speaks up.

I would counsel that you discuss this among all the people who were there and get their impressions, most importantly Chronixx, Rooks, and Klogg, who seem to have met them before.

I would think that if battle is joined, the fewest people as possible be involved. As a war-like race, they might run roughshod over even standard military brigades. However a battle of champions or a small skirmish of high end fighting units may have different results, especially if that fighting unit was well supplied with magic, alchemy, and high quality weapons and armor.

My aid in assembling this unit and in finding the right group to deal with the Kunapan is available for a price, although others might do reasonably well from Legacy itself. However... reasonably well may not be what you want when you are speaking of opening a second front in the largest war in 1000 years.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
X-GM Fesko

Post by X-GM Fesko »

Fitz-Droven clasps Edrick on the shoulder. “Thank you, but you have done more than enough and have certainly earned your pay (collect at check-in).” He addresses all the PCs. “You all have. While I had hoped for a better outcome, at least now we know what to expect from these Kunapan.”

“Sir Fredrick, you still have much to teach this Squire!” General Fuller admonishes. “The defensive side always has the advantage! We will face the Crocs here, on familiar ground with fortified positions, trapped approaches, and short lines of supply! They will break on our lines like the sea breaks on the cliffs of Silverthorne!”

Sir Fredrick cups his chin in thought. “Yet the idea of a preemptive strike certainly has merit. Don’t worry – we can discuss strategy freely here. The shielding placed by the army over the Legacy area is quite formidable. You’d be hard-pressed to find a safer location.”

Fitz-Droven picks up on the line of thought. “We could send small units in to target key individuals, poison food stores, and the like! Light infantry could teleport behind the army to disrupt supply lines!”

“Save that their natural claws also means they are likely natural hunters.” Fredrick points out. “Given the bounty of Ulric’s Gift, I doubt they have much need of supply lines. Take Gromms Hoard, for instance. They had little to do with supply lines, rather they consumed the very land they crossed.”

An idea hits him. “And the Kunapan seem very much like Orcs. Imagine the turmoil that might be caused should Skarr suddenly perish! Like with Orcs, the other commanders in the army might turn their factions on each other as they vie for control of the entire Legion! It may well delay and cripple them!”

“Such leaders are nigh impossible to assassinate.” Fuller muses. “I should know. But perhaps Darthesis here could pull it off…”

“Even if targeting Skarr directly isn’t realizable, other methods of inflicting significant disruption upon the Kunapan may be achieved.” Fredrick points out.

“We’ll consider the possibilities.” Fuller declares. “Darthesis, your information-gathering abilities are well know. I will grant you four wald to investigate options for weakening the Crocs before they reach us.”

“Speaking of information,” Fitz-Droven sighs, “Let us hope Rooks, Klog, and Chronixxx are all right.”
All answers and declarations are absolute until I change my mind or someone says otherwise
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

I will undertake efforts to gain you the information you request with all haste.

However, I still feel that a battle fought on neutral ground, champion against champion or squad against squad could serve to end this war if they see us as 'worthy' and we could move back to our real objectives, the Red Tear. This would save a lot of lives including our freeman laborers in the area.

That being said, I need to know more about the scry shielding around the army where exactly it's boundaries are before I waste any scrying efforts. I'm sure you can direct me to the person to ask these questions of.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Solari Son of the Mother
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

*Solari shaking his head at the General*
Did it EVER occur to you that since they were already on a beeline for this area that my helping them scout would be meaningless? I don't even know anything about the Avyana other than they can be treacherous and I would only trust the one that I know well. The Kunapaun should reach us just about the time of the Blood Moon, you obviously have zero idea of what that means, do you. If you think repelling the cyclebreakers on thier last push was hard you truly have no idea what you're in for. Silverthorrne, Ulric's Gift and indeed the rest of this part of Phanterra will depend on stopping the cyclebreakers here and now. If that doesn't happen you can say goodbuye to your precious title, and your precious kingdom.

Open your eyes, and open your mind to more than just your pride and your belief that somehow your short life span and your soft flesh makes you so much better than anyone else. It's easy to see the Kunapaun are NOTHING like orcs. They don't seem to organize into tribes, even when united the orcs still identified with individual tribes, they regard the mother's gift in very high regard, they prize knowledge and learning and they seem to have multiple leaders, or atleast 3 parts to their leadership. Was it not obvious that Skarr is pretty much the same as you, a general in an army. Even their interactions... BAH!!! Why explain any of this to you, it's obvious that you feel yourself superior as well as your armies superior. You didn't want me to dole out information about Silverthornes "allies", why should I dole out information to you about the enemies you've created. Obviously you would NEVER need the help of anyone else.

*Solari begins to walk away*
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

* Darthesis steps over and whispers in Solari's ear.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

*Listens to each of the participants in turn, his face emotionless save for a slight frown as Solari speaks, then he addresses the delegation*

"Given their low opinion of us, the Kunapan almost certainly expect us to, as they would see it, cower behind our walls and defenses. In battle there is also merit in doing the unexpected. A preemptive strike would catch them off guard. They would not have time to prepare their troops for a siege or assault, or portal in additional troops."

*He frowns, looking at Sir Frederick* "we should also consider that the Avyana have little reason to attack the Kunapan. What would they gain from doing so? Why would they do so while engaged with an enemy that vastly outnumbers them, while in a new, and uncertain alliance? It seems a more likely explanation that the attack was staged by the Red Tear in order to draw the Kunapan here. The timing of their arrival... at the Blood Moon is too convenient to be discarded as coincidence. We may be able to repel a Kunapan invasion from our walls, but could we do so while simultaneously fighting off a Red Tear offensive from our rear or flank? The Red Tear have traditionally attacked us during the Blood Moon, it stands to reason they would do so again."

*Llyshon shifts his gaze to Darthesis* "Perhaps an even better use for Darthesis would be to have him discover the true perpetrators of the Avyana attack on the Kunapan and bring back proof of Red Tear involvement. If we strike preemptively with a well thought out plan and bloody their noses, THEN provide them with proof, or at least suspicion that the Red Tear was the cause of the attack against them and was manipulating them, we will have an unwavering and staunch ally against the Tear."

*He looks back to Sir Frederick* "As for assassinating Skarr, I would advise against it. The wood elf, though he could have presented himself better, was right. They are both like and unlike orcs. Skarr took direction from the Seeress. It would seem they have a definite hierarchy in place, one that would likely survive an assassination of a top leader in time of warfare. Besides, if we were to gain their trust, assassination might seem dishonorable."

*He sighs and shakes his head* "That is just how this lowly squire sees things. I think it better for our forces not to be pinned down in our defensive position while fighting back both the tear and the Kunapan. Even if we can not find any evidence linking the Tear with the Avyana attack, it seems to me to be a wiser course of action to remove the Kunapan from the field before we are attacked by our second enemy, which will certainly occur on the bloodmoon."
Sir Llyshon

***Player Ombudsman***
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

Just so that everyone knows, members of Legecy where there at the attacks of he Avyana and the Red Tear against the Kunapan, where they raised their villages and eventually brought forth this result.

I expect their soothsayers know this as well, but if they need, our members could speak and our truth be tested to ensure the Red Tear involvement.

I don't think this will be enough to change their minds, but one never knows.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

*Llyshon shrugs* "I was not aware. Be that as it may, we are still faced with the uncomfortable timing of two assaults upon us at once. The Tear would be fools not to take the opportunity to attack us on the Blood Moon while the Kunapan assail us. The only way to minimize that risk is to attack the Kunapan as soon as we are able to mobilize."
Sir Llyshon

***Player Ombudsman***
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

In this I agree completely. Action, whatever it shall be, just be taken with or against the Kunapan prior to the Bloodmoon.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
X-GM Fesko

Post by X-GM Fesko »

Fuller scowls at Darthesis “A fight of champions on neutral ground. Aye, I offered that very option to those lizards and they refused! Total war is all that is available to us now.”

He listens to Solari’s admonishments and shakes his head as Solari walks away. “Tempermental Wood Elves. If it were any other I’d have it banished from this land. We need not fear a simultaneous attack. The Crocs will come during the day, while the Red Tear will attempt to cross the Tarragon at night.”

“… Unless the Crocs have night vision. Captain – have our soothsayers look into that one.”

“Sir,” Greggor responds, “they’ve been trying to get a look at the approaching army for months now. Their scry shields are too strong.”

Fuller waves a hand dismissively. “Then hire mercenaries to capture one of their scouts. Don’t bother me with the details, Captain, just get the information!”

“Yes, Sir!”

“As Darthesis said,” Sir Fredrick responds to Llyshon, “Lethnal did raze a number of lizardman villages that were apparently a part of this Ascendency. Thus we can probably assume they are unlikely to halt their advance until they believe every one of the Lethnal troops here with us are dead. But you and Solari are right – the Orc analogy only goes so far. There is much of these Kunapan we do not yet know.”

“Hurumph!” Greggor comments, “I’d be willing to trade five thousand birds for 30 thousand crocs…”

Fredrick turns to the Captain. “I wouldn’t want it to go quite that way, but, yes, we do need the allies. Our Wahuru scouts report no cessation of the undead reinforcements emerging from the deserts. We’ll need a significantly greater strength than what we currently have to turn this war around.”

“General,” Fitz-Droven pipes in, “Legacy was evacuated once before. I’d like to go over the details and perhaps improve upon the process for when-“

“Evacuate?” Fuller scoffs, “Nonsense! The crocs do not stand a chance! We will hold our fortifications – not one enemy soldier will enter the village! I will have no more talk of ‘evacuation’!”
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

*Llyshon looks, blank-faced at the General* "Disregarding the magi in their midst, who could light the battlefield at night, If the Kunapan attack during the day, and the Undead at night, when are our soldiers going to get sleep or rest? Our forces would either effectively be diminished by half, assuming night and day shifts were put into place, or they would get no sleep, thus drastically decreasing both their morale, and their ability to fight!"

*Llyshon looks over to Sir Frederick* "The Avyana involvement in the attacks does indeed pose a challenge, but one that can be surmounted. More information is needed. Were the Avyana willing participants in the bloodshed or lead by the Red Tear? Why not speak with one of Lethnal's troops to see what can be divulged?"
Sir Llyshon

***Player Ombudsman***
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*FROM THE RAFTERS Aroura comes down to the group*

excuse my interuption/listening from above.

but from what i've heard from this conversation since you "popped" into the INN Please humor me in a few queations.
1. The Kunapan are against us now?
2. What troops will be coming to legacy to help hold it on two fronts?
3. What kind of troops will be coming that can fend off one battle in half a day and do it again in the same evening?
4. Even if we should hold both fronts why would we endanger the neighboring villiages in case some raiding parties split off and attack the weeker areas?
5. Evacuation of the towns is just a precaution, not a suggestion of failure.
6. The undead do not always wait till dusk to strike, why bet on it? All we do know is they always attack on the blood moon.
I'm sorry if these questions seem unimportant, but it is my home and the home of my friends in question.
Gone and Yet not gone