Tales of ToeVass
Music, fun, and best of all, lots of Ale! One cannot ask for more than that, except for a warm bed, which they have as well.

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel Lockheart
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Tales of ToeVass

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

Blood Moon 1005 PEW

I have written here an account of the deed and events that transpired on that darkest of nights in the area of the town of Legacy, the new home of the adventures of Midway, who came from the far off place of Elthanar once upon a time. These are tales as I was told them, and as such sometimes the facts are skewed by those who did the telling, but these are as close to the events as I have been able to find so far. Please enjoy the histories of the town of legend, known as Legacy.

It was late at night on the eve of the blood moon, when a Guthrie selling magic pumpkins came into the inn. He was a funny little fellow and made good deals for their magic powers. He claimed they were able to prevent undead from coming near the bearers of them. After much haggling all of his wares were purchased and he left into the night. The town’s members began the long process of preparing them for the following nights lighting, in hopes that they would keep the evil darkness away. Many were the scary carvings that took place on the faces of the pumpkins.

Late into the evening and so far almost all had been quiet. A majority of the heroes of Legacy were huddled around a fire near the inn, awaiting the inevitable attacks that the blood moon draws down upon the forces of light. Suddenly in the distance we saw the undead coming out of the evil fog, the same fog that had mystically appeared over the last few days and blocked our best diviners’ “other sight.” There were scores of the undead creatures marching on Legacy, and only a hand full of adventures to turn them back. Suddenly I looked over and saw the wood elf Solari beginning to chant in his mystical way and his staff took on a life of its own. Others across the field also began to ready their weapons and prepare for battle. Light exploded as undead began to fall left and right. Each time one fell another two sprung up to take its place. On the adventures fought for what seemed like hours, being blasted by vileness each time one of the undead exploded with death. Finally, they took a moment to look around at the havoc that was carnage of the battle field and see the undead were dead once more. Thankfully, no one perished in the battle, and the forces of the Light were victorious again.

At some point in the battle the little farmer (who as it turns out was really a fey of the green pretending to be a simple farmer) with his miniature pumpkins and corn returned to town to sell some more of them. Curious about then our fearless Constable lead a group off to determine just what the problem with the miniature pumpkins was, and in the process they were swept away in the evil fog. Search as we might, there was no sign of them. It was late and weariness was beginning to creep into our bodies, but we could not allow ourselves to go to sleep without knowing the fate of our allies and friends lost to the fog. Not knowing what else to do we returned to the inn, where suddenly three strange men grabbed some of the newly acquired full sized and carved magic pumpkins from the table near the inn and ran. As members of the town gave chase the three strangers suddenly transformed into eight foot tall hulking werewolves! Terror griped the hearts of those who remained in Legacy, but the remaining heroes drew their blades and prepared to fight the abominations, but before any could be taken down they ran off into the woods where the small party of heroes dared not go alone.

Fighting off the exhaustion that gripped them, the remaining adventures they placed the rest of the magic pumpkins in the inn, and set a watch to guard them. Then they drew forth their divining cards and began to play a game to pass the time. After they fought off several more raids it was decided to hide some of the pumpkins in case the heroes were overwhelmed and fell in battle defending them. Fortunately no such occurrence ever happened, and when the rest of the missing townsfolk returned from evil fog, a party was sent out to hunt for the werewolves and the magic pumpkins which had been taken. In the end the pumpkins were recovered and protected for the next night activities.

The sight of the sun coming up on Saturday was enough to fill my heart with joy. Soon there were people swarming the town looking for help. The first I saw was a dispute between a group of settlers and a group of nomadic Minotaurs. It seemed they both wanted the same land. The Minotaur claimed they were there first, and had left to go hunting, only to return and find that the humans had started to build houses on the land. The decision of the Constable was that the humans did not know, and as the Minotaurs did not notify anyone of their claiming the land, it would have to go to the farmers. However, being the wise man that he is and wanting to maintain good relations with our allies Sylas then went about finding land that the Minotaurs could live on and then he registered with the town their claim.

Things from there only got worse as the portal mage was found unconscious lying on the ground and the portal stone was found shattered. Many brave adventures spent the day collecting the pieces and putting it back together. When it was finally finished Sylas discovered that the portal mage had been linked to the stone somehow, and that is why our greatest healers could not awaken him. However, with the stone fixed he was soon awakened, and it was then discovered that the Red Tear was behind the attack. Further, it was discovered that they had somehow marked the stone and made it so when someone went through the portal from Tarragon, they were sent straight to the heart of the Sea of Sands, and taken down by a group which was lead by a vile necromancer. Once it was fully repaired a group was to go through the portal and put an end to this scheme by the red tear, a group lead by none other than the mage hunter Kimberlyn and the world renowned mage Rooks. Once there Kimberly, Rooks, and our fearless Constable Sylas were able to not only fight the necromancer and slay him, but also free all the people trapped on that side. And while they kept him distracted the beautiful Elvish mage Aroura was able to shatter the Red Tear’s portal stone. It was a hard fight and made harder by walking into a trap, but in the end they were victorious!

Strange rumors were circulating about town in regards to a Sylvania caravan that was parked nearby. All signs pointed that they might have known something about the mysterious fog, as a dark fey was hiding amongst them. What was discovered is that they had all died long ago, and were cursed to live on as sprits. I did not learn this entire tale, only that the plot was thicker than it first appeared. One of the Sylvania was a soothsayer and she had a woman trapped in a crystal ball. After the people of Legacy were able to free the lady in the crystal it was learned that her sister, the soothsayer, had placed her in there. The reason, I did not learn. However, she was able to point out the dark fey noble hiding among the camp and that there was a plot by the darkness and the dark fey to reopen the portal between our realm and theirs’ and that they would storm out and conquer our world if they were not stopped….

Before we could deal with this there was yet another threat. It seems that yet another group of necromancers had taken over an essence pool and tainted it. Our brave (yet modest) wood elf, Solaria, accompanied by a party of adventures sacrificed part of himself in an attempt to purify the tainted waters of the spring, while a great battle between the forces of light and the undead army raged around him. He was able to purify the taint from the water. Sadly, however, in the end, the pool became only clear spring… but nothing more. In victory there was loss.

Hungry the adventures joined with the farmers in a great feast of soups and bread and rejoiced for they knew that should they fail this night, there would be no other. The chili flowed and there was great music and dancing throughout the afternoon. In the end all who came were filled with the light blessed food and the people were recharged to face the darkness ahead.

And as the hour of darkness approached the forces of evil did indeed come and they were at their most powerful. The entire town prepared to engage the enemy. Some for love of light, others for the gold, and others just because it there was little other choice. Sometime during the day, a group of adventures had gone into a cave and fought off elemental creatures in order to retrieve essence lights that would power the magic pumpkins to higher levels. With these powered up pumpkins nearly the entire town ventured forth to face the dark fey and their evil dark allies, in a field of battle.

Deep into the night they fought this merciless foe, protected only by an ever shrinking circle of pumpkins, as light after light went out. Finally, the first victory for side of Light occurred when an elite group of adventures led by the fey blooded town’s folk charged one of the gates and thru loss of their very life or spell energy they were able to close it. With that first victory however came a grave danger, as the circle of magic pumpkins was cut in half, and those not quite so elite town’s folk were suddenly faced with a ever shrinking ring of protection, and worse yet… the enemy knew it! Dozens of the vile creatures surrounded the pumpkin ring and prepared to set about slaying anyone who was foolish enough to leave the circle. Many brave adventures died in the battle only to be raised and then to die again. Deeper and deeper into the night the battle raged on, until finally the last of the portals were closed, and those too weak to do any more battle were teleported away. Legend has it that a few brave adventures remained behind and slew the last of the dark fey that had escaped the portal.

In the end all of the fallen heroes were raised from the dead, and the portals were secured once more. The artifacts which allowed them to be opened were destroyed, and all of the darkness that escaped was extinguished. Once again the brave heroes of Legacy gathered together their combined might and held back against the night.
Last edited by Daniel Lockheart on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Rianna Lindsay
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

*from across the inn*
Are you open to some changes in your writings? there are just a couple things that are different from the events that occured.

*aroura awaits a responce*
Gone and Yet not gone
nightrose

Post by nightrose »

*A snort is head from a corner, as Lorenn leans into the light, a verlan tumbling over his fingers*

I'm just glad it'll be another year before I have to see another damn pumpkin.
The "R" in Rogue stands for "Reformed".
Daniel Lockheart

Always, that's why I mentioned somethings may be off, so people could let me know. I like keep people who were absent aware of the events of our town.

Feel free to let me know and I'll make adjustments to my tales.
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Rianna Lindsay

Post by Rianna Lindsay »

The only thing i wish to ammend is that we learned of the Dark Fae's and the darknesses plan to enter this world from the "farmer of last moon" he was actually a Green Fae trying to find people to ask help from. He is the one who told us of what was to come and how it was to happen. Then later Solari, Bombour and Myself talk with a Fae cat in hopes they can help us find the area we needed to be.
Gone and Yet not gone
Solari Son of the Mother

Post by Solari Son of the Mother »

And I didn't really lead the assault on the grove to reclaim the pool, I was just the one that submerged themselves ina the pool. And we originally went to the Sylvani caravans searching for the dark fae there so he could remove the fog that had sprung up around Legacy.
Solari An'aalcouladinasmyyran
Sunlight Reflected Off Of The Dew As The Sun Crests The Hill
Son Of The Mother Protector Of The Cycle
Daniel Lockheart

Thank you all for your input. Please remember things that I witness myself will be interpreted as I see them. After all, those who come after we have gone will want an un-biased interpretation. Some want to turn a pile of rocks into a mountain, while others seek the opposite thereof. As a historian of ToeVass it is my duty to keep things in the best perspective that I can.

Thank you all again, and please feel free at anytime to let me know if something I was told was incorrect.
Paladin of Order
Faerykin

Re: Tales of ToeVass

Post by Faerykin »

Daniel Lockheart wrote:At some point in the battle the little farmer (who as it turns out was really a fey of the green pretending to be a simple farmer) with his miniature pumpkins and corn returned to town to sell some more of them. Curious about then our fearless Constable lead a group off to determine just what the problem with the miniature pumpkins was, and in the process they were swept away by the evil fog.
'Twas not the evil fog that swept them away, but the Fey Noble using the last of his power to transport our people into the Fey Realm.
Daniel Lockheart wrote:Things from there only got worse as the portal mage was found unconscious lying on the ground and the portal stone was found shattered. Many brave adventures spent the day collecting the pieces and putting it back together. When it was finally finished Sylas discovered that the portal mage had been linked to the stone somehow, and that is why our greatest healers could not awaken him.
*Spring chuckles*

Sylas discovered such because I told him.

Daniel Lockheart wrote:However, with the stone fixed he was soon awakened, and it was then discovered that the Red Tear was behind the attack. Further, it was discovered that they had somehow marked the stone and made it so when someone went through the portal from Tarragon, they were sent straight to the heart of the Sea of Sands, and taken down by a group which was lead by a vile necromancer. Once it was fully repaired a group was to go through the portal and put an end to this scheme by the red tear, a group lead by none other than the mage hunter Kimberlyn. She, Rooks, and Sylas were able to not only fight the necromancer and slay him, but also free all the people trapped on that side. If was a hard fight and made harder by walking into a trap, but in the end they were victorious!
Or rather, led by Rooks. And do not forget that Aroura also played a vital part in that as well.
Daniel Lockheart wrote:Strange rumors were circulating about town in regards to a Sylvania caravan that was parked nearby. All signs pointed that they might have known something about the mysterious fog, as a dark fey was hiding amongst them. What was discovered is that they had all died long ago, and were cursed to live on as sprits. I did not learn this entire tale, only that the plot was thicker than it first appeared. One of the Sylvania was a soothsayer and she had a woman trapped in a crystal ball. After the people of Legacy were able to free the lady in the crystal it was learned that her sister, the soothsayer, had placed her in there. The reason, I did not learn. However, she was able to point out the dark fey noble hiding among the camp and that there was a plot by the darkness and the dark fey to reopen the portal between our realm and theirs’ and that they would storm out and conquer our world if they were not stopped….
Was it not the Fey Noble who came to Legacy under the guise of a farmer selling pumpkins and corn, that notified us of the Dark Fey plot to open the portals?
Daniel Lockheart wrote:Deep into the night they fought this merciless foe, protected only by an ever shrinking circle of pumpkins, as light after light went out. Finally, the first victory for side of Light occurred when an elite group of adventures led by the fey blooded town’s folk charged one of the gates and thru loss of their very life they were able to close it.
In all actuality, it was the circle around the puzzle that we charged. With the deaths of the enemy, a piece would appear on the Puzzle Board. The riddle clues had to be known and applied, and then that portion of the puzzle could be solved. Rooks was able to close the Light Portal by Joining with the Puzzle Board and sharing some of his Spell Power. In turn, after the second part of the puzzle was unlocked and solved, Solari was able to do as Rooks had done and close the Green Portal. Once the third and final piece of the puzzle was unloced and solved, Raven had to sacrifice a bit of her life energy to close the Dark Portal, as she is no Magi and therefore was unable to Join with the Board.
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight
The Queen's Personal Diviner

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Raven
House Jakoric
House Jakoric
Location: Dancing in the shadows of twilight...or behind thee

Post by Raven »

From her corner, Raven smirks in self-mockery.

"Alas for my magical ineptitude...Twas sweet though there was worry I would let the red rain fall too fast and too long. But why bother when my tainted kin would have obliged my masochism..."
"...in moonlight and shadow..."
Faerykin

Post by Faerykin »

*Spring smiles at her dark sister*

I would never have allowed it to fall too long.
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Raven
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Raven »

If allowed, Raven touches Spring's hand gently for a moment in gratitude, eyes closing contentedly.
Faerykin

Post by Faerykin »

*Spring will remain still at Raven's touch. When Raven opens her eyes again, Spring will smile sadly as she whispers*

As I said, I missed you. I cannot allow you to leave so soon.
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Raven
House Jakoric
House Jakoric

Post by Raven »

A corner of Raven's lips quirks up, though her voice stays gentle and her eyes reflect touched pleasure at Spring's words.

"Then I shall endeavor to linger too long and make all weary of my "dark presence"." The last two words are spoken in a melodramatic stage whisper as she winks.
Faerykin

Post by Faerykin »

*Spring smiles*

Mayhaps I will add that to my repertoire ...

*said equally over-dramatic*

"Doom, Gloom, Darkness ... and Occasional Not-So-Bad News"

*she then chuckles a bit*
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Jack of Spades
House DeVris
House DeVris

Post by Jack of Spades »

*Jack speaks up from across the bar*

Yeah the darkness part adds a little something, more mystery I think.
Commissar Jack Maxwell
Baronial Magistrate and House Head of Ironguard
Commander of The Black Fleet,
Master of the Long Knives.