Dire News
Music, fun, and best of all, lots of Ale! One cannot ask for more than that, except for a warm bed, which they have as well.

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

(OOC: wow you people respond a lot in a little bit of time ;) ... FYI - The Elf-Friend thing was in the original Elf writeup. It used to be symbolized by a tattoo on the left hand of the person. That has since been done away with in the most recent revamp of Elven history.)

*Llyshon listens quietly for some time as the conversation about him molds and takes form. Finally he addresses the gathering crowd. Smiling tersely at Twilight first*

I tell you plainly madam, and respectfully, that I find your manner to be confrontational and accusatory. I have never claimed to be anything but a Knight-Squire, and indeed used that term to describe myself only a few moments ago.

That the Elves have no standing army to speak of, I would know little. Though well familiar with the Wood Elves, I am not versed in the lore of High Elves, save in the ancient days before the splitting. As reclusive as the elves are, I do not know how any of us would be aware of this fact.

That Re'Gaul may be using some illusion or other treachery to create an army of Elves may well be, and it is an option that I have considered.

Another possibility could be that the Elves themselves have forces or an army about which even their own people are largely unaware. I find it difficult to believe that any sovereign nation would allow its people to be slaughtered and sit idly by and do nothing to the aggressors other than bandy about threats.

Elves may be slow to act, but there is a difference between being slow to consider a decision, and being slow while discussing the merits of action and your innocent citizens are being killed. Above all, the Elves are intelligent, and surely they would do something of substance.

But, regardless of the true nature of the Elven host, what we can be sure of is that Silverthorn troops mass at the borders of the Elven kingdom. What is needed is either proof of the meddlings of Re'Gaul, or persuasion. If the Elven army is itself a hoax, it will take more than scrying upon them to determine this... Re'Gaul may indeed attempt to shield a legitimate army from any such scrying purely for his own purposes, or the elves themselves, not wishing to have their exact troop strengths and movements known may enact such a shield. The absence of evidence does not constitute proof.

*Lyshon turns his attention to the crowd at large*

Let us then deal with the facts of the matter. War is imminent, and it is war that must be averted at all costs. What ideas have you for proving the true nature of the elvish army, and how can we collect the evidence we need?

My thoughts are thus:

Firstly, that we use whatever contacts with the local peasantry and woodsman as are at our disposal to discover the locations of the "Elvish" raids, and perhaps, where they may have been operating out of. Were there sightings of these Elves? Were there sightings of the false Silverthorn troops? Were there witnesses to any of these altercations?

If we are able to find even one of the people falsely passing themselves off as elves or silverthorn troops, it may be enough. Such a captive could be interrogated by the Cavaliers or other authority, and then passed to the Elves for their own interrogations.

Secondly, we must discuss ways to remove Re'Gaul's ability to shield himself from scrying. Should this be done, the Elves and Silverthorn should be able to discover the truth themselves.

Thirdly, we must discover the true nature of this Elvish host. I would beg any of you who have influence within Syl'Van'Dar to travel there immediately and discover whether this force is legitimate, what the atmosphere is like there regarding this war, and whether they will be receptive to the truth.

In regards to the sending of a scouting party to determine the nature of the host; I do not think that this should be done. If the Elves were to discover a party of Silverthorn scouts within their territory it could be the spark that ignites this war. What's more, my duty and my charge as a knight-squire may provide me with the authority to act within reason to safe-guard the kingdom against this war. However, this charge does not give me the authority to develop a military incursion into hostile territory without the sanction or knowledge of our Army or other Nobles.

Nay, should we wish to determine the true nature of the Elvish force, perhaps the only thing that can be done is for a citizen of Syl'Van'Dar who would have access to this army to go and see for themselves and report their findings back to the town. But I would stress that I can not sanction such an action, and should it be done it would need to be done their own merits, and not on the request of the Kingdom.

I will be traveling to Silverthorn shortly to persuade who I am able of this treachery. I will be willing to take any who might be willing and able to aid this cause, and has business there. As well, should any of you need assistance I will provide what I am able.

Lastly, we must discuss a way to remove Re'Gaul himself directly. Over the past moon I was in town I have heard nothing but passivity, and negativity towards this end. Forgive my blunt speech, but it seems as if everyone has simply given up on the idea that he may be defeated. We may solve this crisis, but Re'Gaul is a cancer... a sickness.... and I do not doubt that should this issue be resolved another, and another like it will rear itself until he finally is victorious.

I have faced many such powers as Re'Gaul. Even if there were no way to stop him, and the attempt to do so would mean my life... I would not give up trying to find a means. I do not mean to preach... I understand that many of you have labored long, and hard upon this issue and upon many others and I do not mean to discount your work, but I wish to say that it disturbs me that the attitudes I have heard towards him is simply one of resignation and despair.

*Llyshon sighs* but forgive me... in my passion I have spoken much and given little room for other voices. Please, by all means... let me hear what ideas you may have to accomplish what needs done here today.
Last edited by Sir Llyshon on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Llyshon
Former Knight of the Crown
Currently pushing up daisies

***Player Ombudsman***
Faerykin
Member of the Mage's Guild

Post by Faerykin »

*Twilight regards Llyshon with a blank smile*

I never accused you of claiming to be more than a Knight-Squire. I only point out the fact that if someone should address you as Knight, you should dissuade them from doing so. Not correcting the ignorant is sometimes just as guilty as claiming to be more than one is. But, that is neither here nor there, and was a warning to you for your own protections.

*she shrugs*

No matter - it is obvious you are quite capable of taking care of yourself.

*she sighs as she addresses the group at large*

The reasons I state the the Elves have no standing army are quite simple. Syl'Van'Dar is hidden from mortal eyes. Only Elves can see the path to Syl'Van'Dar. I do not suggest that Syl'Van'Dar has no protections, but the magics that hide the city coupled with the Griffon Riders have proven quite effective for many, many generations.

As for the topic of Elven Action. These instances of Elvish Briggands and Silverthorn troops have only been transpiring for a couple of moons. Even if word were to reach the Queen, I am certain - from past experience - that her counsel would convene for quite some time before any course of action would be sanctioned.

*she looks to Llyshon*

As I have stated before, I fully intend to journey to Syl'Van'Dar. To discover the mood of the city, and attempt to convince my people to remain within their own borders until the true nature of this 'conflict' can be discovered.

As far as Regal goes, we all understand the urgency and necessity of his defeat. Please do tell us if you have a sound plan, because we are sorely lacking in valid ideas.
Last edited by Faerykin on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight
The Queen's Personal Diviner

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Nyrhtak Of Mahuru
The Thane's Drinking Buddy

Post by Nyrhtak Of Mahuru »

Does anyone know the locations of his Strongholds or Outposts that lie outside of the Sea of Dust?
Nyrhtak of Mahuru
Champion of Order
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai
One of the Magnificent Ten

Former Head of V.L.O.
Former Head of R.U.K.U.S.S.
Former Member of Clan Skumm
Dietrich Krankheight

Post by Dietrich Krankheight »

*disapears with a pop of rushing air*
Nyrhtak Of Mahuru

*Nyrhtak looks over to where Dietrich was and frowns.*
Nyrhtak of Mahuru
Champion of Order
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai

Former Head of V.L.O.
Faerykin

Post by Faerykin »

*Twilight looks to Nyrhtak, a slight frown upon her face as she shrugs*

With Dietrich ... who knows?
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Nyrhtak Of Mahuru

*He shrugs*

True.
Nyrhtak of Mahuru
Champion of Order
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai

Former Head of V.L.O.
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

I believe the best course of action to deal directly with the Re'Gaul situation is to attack him. Nyrthak has mentioned to me before that we know of one of his outposts and has even suggested such an action.

I suggest we attack Re'Gaul as a feint. An attempt to test his strength and force him to show himself as a threat in-arms. If the town were to come together and marshall whatever troops our collected influence could gather from the Nobility, and then attack... with a House Toevass member in our ranks to record the battle, should he respond with any force or repel our attack then he would show himself as the threat that he is. With a Toevass account, as well as my word, the words of the esteemed within the town, and the words that the soldiers would doubtless bring back to their nobles, it may be enough for the Nobility to consider marshalling an army to deal with this threat.

Provided, of course, that the army itself is not bogged down in a war against the Elves. But there is no reason we can not prepare for action at once.

Here is what is needed:

1. People willing to question the peasants and others who reside close to where the initial "elvish" raids took place.

Nyrthak has offered his services in this. I would recommend that VLO, and perhaps the Red and Black see to it. If these groups are willing, let them say so. If anyone else is willing, let them speak now.

2. Twilight has offered to confer with her contacts within Syl'Van'Dar, and for that she has my gratitude. Any others who have influence with the Elves, I would ask to do the same. *Addressing Twilight* I would assume that you would have means of transporting yourself there instantly... would you be willing to take others who may be of help with you, madam?

3. I will be traveling both to Silverthorne, and to the Duke Harrison to confer with my betters on this matter. I will be leaving Tomorrow (OOG: I'll be out of town for a week). Any who wish to accompany me are welcome to do so. I will be teleporting there and will likely be returning with soldiers. Those who have sway with any of the Nobility that are further away than would normally permit regular travel, and could garner some of their troops are welcome to come with me.

4. The rest of you who remain here, Clan Skumm among them, I would urge you to prepare yourselves for battle and to fortify the town.

Again, these are suggestions, but I believe them to be sound. If any have any ideas on how their talents might be best used, or have other options, by all means... share them.
Sir Llyshon

***Player Ombudsman***
Kimberlyn Darksbane

Post by Kimberlyn Darksbane »

*Raises an eyebrow*

You want to attack Re'gaul directly??

You would need to discover..

1. Where he is located?

2. The size of the force surrounding him for this necromancer likes to have minions and LOTS of them.

3. I would suggest getting a rough idea as to the vastness of his power. Is he per se a necromancer who is also a mystic? If so, then he will be difficult to keep disenchanted. I am not certain if either Rooks or myself could disenchant him.

If he is smart, which he is he will be, I would logically assume, much like the necromancer we defeated in town last weekend. He will however have more power.

It took a grand-master warrior and his mercinary crew plus magic shackes which prevented him from casting to even capture him last time.
This time he could have not only his minions, but that of a Red Tear, and who knows his own Mage Hunters in his pocket. Based on what has been occuring over the past few moons, anything is possible.

It is difficult to assemble a good plan againt this foe when we do not have any clear answers, merely speculation. Also, who is to say he is not having his people scry on us, so even if we have a plan he'd know about it.

Also, back to the suspicious state of mind and pure logic..who is to say he does not have a spy two out there looking in on us.
Kimberlyn Thurs-kona
Former Myranes Mage Hunter
Bear Tribe
Mate of Thurs Ljothamar, Champion of the Bear Tribe
Battle-Howler-Killer of Mages
Faerykin

Post by Faerykin »

*Twilight looks to Llyshon as she pulls a scroll from her bag*

Yes, I have the means to Teleport ... and would be willing to bring others with me.

*she sneers*

Of course, we all know how Elves view those not their own.

*after Kimberlyn speaks, she looks back to Llyshon, eyebrows raised*

Kimberlyn has a few very valid points. We already know Regal has just released Myrkul - the Father of all Vampires, and intends to free the Lord of the Death-Knights. There really is only speculation as to the true power of the forces he commands.
Whisper

-or-

Epically-Retired
Summer Twilight

Destined of Syl'Van'Dar
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

There is much speculation as to Re'Gaul's whereabouts, his bases of operation and the forces he has amassed at this point.

There are also plans in place that have been ongoing for almost a year now to determine answers to all these questions AND how to deal with them.

These things cannot and should not be discussed openly, ReGaul has entirely too many spies and methods of information procurement, even in this town.

I advise that there be a meeting, and am willing to organize and lead this meeting, within one moon. Those agreeing to my meeting would be given additional information that I will not speak of openly. Those agreeing to my meeting would be helping in the beginning of the destruction of Re'Gaul.

However, those participating in my meeting would have to agree to my rules for this meeting.

1) I allow to enter the meeting only those I feel are both trustworthy and useful to this particular endevour.

2) Some of those attending the meeting will be required to use some of their skills immediately on this task, this will be asked of you as you enter.

3) You will not know the true location of the meeting until we are all gathered.

With that in mind, I ask that you inform me if you are willing to be involved in this meeting, publicly, or privately.

Even if you do not agree to these terms, or if I do not find your particular skills useful for this meeting, be sure that you shall be called to service at some time in this venture. This meeting is just a small step in a larger march. The task that lays before us is nothing that is solved in a short period of time, or with one bold stroke of a sword.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Rooks Reayvalynn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Rooks Reayvalynn »

*rooks lazyily steps up from the bench he is sitting on and speaks* Darthesis, ithis meeting sounds quite interging, this one has some ideas, coupled with some information that may well lead us to a path of... oh bother, stabbing and blowing up Regal, for a lack of a better term. As for all this fickle banter that can be heard of who can say what and who should say what or how one can address oneself or how others can address oneselfs. Those who have stepped foreward, have they information that is false or true have stepped foreward offering it and seeking to discern the truth of the matter. As for this one, it will bee seen what sway is held for one who once assisted some gentlemen who had wanderd far, and while finding what they sought, found themselves totally lost. Returning upon further knowledge... or lack thereof. *poof, as the last words roll off Rook's lips he is gone*
Rooks Bloodsinger Reayvalynn
Destined
Grand Magi
Lightbringer
Grand Sky Marshall
Mountain Slayer
Diplomat to Alleria
Member of the Mal Ka'Tai
Member of the Scribes guild
Councilman of the Mages guild
Darthesis
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Darthesis »

If anyone can translate what Rooks said to an understandable form and find him in time for a meeting, he is invited to attend.
Darthesis Tal'Sadaar
Fidelis Pro Aurum
Daniel Lockheart

Post by Daniel Lockheart »

“I’ve studied a great many languages, being a code breaker and all, but over half the time I hear him speak I have no idea what he is saying. I'm not sure it is a language... maybe some obscure form of common from far away? Regardless, I will help in anyway needed, and along with a good bard *small smile touches his eyes as he looks around for the local bard* to carry the tales outside the walls of a stuffy library. I will copy any events that can be found and spread them across the kingdom in hopes of rallying the people of Silverthorne against the real foe, and not that of perhaps its greatest allies. Let me know when and where you need me. I can generally keep myself alive in battle as long as I’m not up front.”

“As for Skum? *pulls out some notes...* I believe after the death of its key leaders the guild of Skum dissolved. Currently with the return of the near legendary hero Klogg, several former members have regrouped and gained additional great members calling themselves "the Masters of the Universe". If this is inaccurate, let me know... for my chronicles and all that.
Gentleman Daniel J. Lockheart, Lord of Morborough
Lieutenant in Her Majesties Army - Retired
Keeper of the 4th Tome of ToeVass
Member of the Alchemist Guild of Midway
Paladin of Order
"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." The Inquisition vol 137 pg 1 story about Daniel's latest adventures.
Sir Llyshon
Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Crown

Post by Sir Llyshon »

*Nods to Darthesis and smiles slightly*

Somehow I knew that there was more going on in this town than was being let on, and somehow i knew that you were at the heart of it. I agree with you that such things should not be discussed openly. I had intended on calling a more private meeting among trusted allies to discuss any actual planning, and relay information that is more sensitive.

I am interested in attending this meeting.

*To the town at large*

But in as far as our current situation with the Elves, we will need information immediately, and before the coming moon. Do any of the townsmen object to the tasks I have requested of them?
Sir Llyshon

***Player Ombudsman***